RAMS' SECONDARY ADDITIONS: This unit is now the NFL's best

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL.com Analyst
  • Published: March 9, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rafting-saquon-barkley-no-1-value-free-agents

When the Los Angeles Rams acquired two-time Pro Bowler CB Marcus Peters in a trade a few weeks ago, I thought their secondary joined the ranks of the elite. Now, after the ensuing additions of Aqib Talib and Sam Shields, this unit looks like it's the best in the business.

No disrespect to the talented quintet in Jacksonville, but the secondary for #MobSquad is downright scary, with Peters, Talib and Shields joining safeties Lamarcus Joyner and John Johnson to form a five-man crew that can completely shut down the passing game on the perimeter. While some will dismiss that talk as me gushing over a pair of acquisitions that seemingly came out of the blue, a quick look at the numbers suggests that the Rams' secondary is legitimately the best unit in the league, particularly with Peters and Talib on the island.

In the wake of the Talib trade, NFL Research dug up the top five cornerbacks in passer rating allowed since 2015 (min. 230 targets) -- Peters ranked first at 60.7, while Talib placed fifth at 68.0. In addition, Peters leads the NFL in interceptions (19) and passes defensed (55) during that span, which covers his three years in the league. While the skeptics and naysayers chalk up the 25-year-old's takeaway prowess to wild gambles and guesses, Peters is a calculated risk-taker with an outstanding feel for route recognition.

"Peters is a lot smarter than people think," a Chiefs assistant coach told me. "He puts a lot of time into his preparation. He might act nonchalant about it, but he studies the tape and he makes a lot of plays because he knows what to expect.

"His success as a young player isn't by accident."

Not to be outdone, Talib leads all active players with 10 career pick-sixes, and his 34 interceptions are the second-most in the league since 2008 (his rookie season). Although the five-time Pro Bowler's game has slipped a tad in recent years, he is still a turnover machine with a knack for jumping routes in his area. Talib is one of the best "clue" corners (a defender who plays with vision on the QB and WRs to recognize and anticipate routes) in the game and his instincts have been refined through years of experience on the island. With Wade Phillips keenly aware of Talib's game and his potential deficiencies -- remember, they spent the 2015 and '16 seasons together in Denver -- the veteran corner can comfortably slide into a CB2 role, with Peters penciled in as the top dog at corner.

Shields gives the team another playmaker to put on the field as a nickel or dime corner. Despite missing almost two seasons of action due to a string of concussions, Shields was quite a player over the first six seasons of his career, having won a Super Bowl as a rookie and made the Pro Bowl in 2014. If the 30-year-old can return to anywhere near that level as a player, the Rams will have three ball magnets on the field in their sub-package. In a division where the quarterback play is rapidly improving, the presence of a playmaking threesome at corner could be the deciding factor in the NFC West race.

From a schematic standpoint, the Rams will continue to feature man-coverage tactics under Phillips, but we could see the corners spend more time using off technique. As clue corners, Peters and Talib are at their best when they are able to sit back at 8 or 9 yards and read the quarterback. They will key the quarterback's drop to get an early jump on quick passes before turning their attention to multiple receivers in their area to diagnose the route combination. With a fierce, Aaron Donald-led pass rush generating pressure on the passer, the combination of gambling and guessing could lead to a bushel basket of turnover treats for the Rams.

That's why I'm pushing my chips to the middle of the table when suggesting the #MobSquad has the No. 1 secondary in football, with Peters and Aqib suddenly joining forces in Los Angeles. The duo is so good at taking the ball way and blanketing receivers that quarterbacks will be forced to throw more passes between the hashes, where Joyner and Co. can swipe balls off tips and overthrows in congested areas. Given how the Rams' offense is already capable of lighting up scoreboards across the league, the extra possessions generated from the league's top secondary could pave the way for the team to make a trip to Super Bowl LIII.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Holy cow! I agree with Bucky Brooks!!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Finnaly, after 15+ years, the Rams are being considered as serious SB contenders.:mrburnsevil:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I still want NR-C to be signed. He is a key piece of the puzzle.

When I was young one of my favorite parts of the Rams is that they always had good cornerbacks. ( I didn’t realize that pass rush aided the dbs back then). INTs were my favorite stat. It’s nice to have that to look forward to again.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It's JJ and Joyner who make his group scary
Plus we have lots of young CB's who i saw ball last year
It's these trade additions of Peters and Talib along with what we already have in-house that potentially makes this secondary freakin' scary

jap

Legend
I still want NR-C to be signed. He is a key piece of the puzzle.

When I was young one of my favorite parts of the Rams is that they always had good cornerbacks. ( I didn’t realize that pass rush aided the dbs back then). INTs were my favorite stat. It’s nice to have that to look forward to again.

Given that Aqib and Sam Shields are both aging gracefully, it would behoove the Horns to have younger players who are ready to step in in case of injury or retirement. Besides, DBs get injured or beat up all the time, and it really helps to have strong backup players who are ready to roll at a moment's notice with little drop-off in play quality. So holding onto NRC and the recovering Kayvon Webster would be a smart strategy for our Horns.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We haven't won anything yet and just because we added some talented FAs doesn't mean we will fair well with them. We have all seen this before and more often than not it doesn't work out.

Don't shoot the messenger

jap

Legend
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We haven't won anything yet and just because we added some talented FAs doesn't mean we will fair well with them. We have all seen this before and more often than not it doesn't work out.

You're certainly not in danger of being shot for delivering a very fair warning. Right now all of this is paper value. The reality of our secondary quality rating will reveal itself when the 2018 season starts. I want Aqib putting on his professor's cap and mentoring the entire secondary on film study as well as playing techniques, in conjunction with Wade and his secondary coaching staff.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With this secondary slowing down QB's, Aaron Donald will win the DPOY two years in a row, and maybe Super Bowl MVP. As a DT, he could get 17 sacks this year, along with all of the other stats he generates. This all on paper of course, and all of the talking heads will be pumping us (and the players) up....Living up to expectations will be a mother hummer...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You're certainly not in danger of being shot for delivering a very fair warning. Right now all of this is paper value. The reality of our secondary quality rating will reveal itself when the 2018 season starts. I want Aqib putting on is professor's cap and mentoring the entire secondary on film study as well as playing techniques, in conjunction with Wade and his secondary coaching staff.

Agreed it has the potential to be great for a long time . Young guys with talent learning from some of the best to play the game.

I have faith McBae will keep these guys working hard

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Coverage sack city.

Revamped secondary nearly complete.

Onto LB corp and DL.

"We're on a mission from God."
---Elwood

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

Man it's a good thing you said something, because even though you're right about not getting ahead of ourselves, I was still going to shoot you. But for now I'll spare you.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Interesting blurb there about the corners sitting back an not necessarily playing bump-and-run. Both Peters and Talib seem to play a lot of off coverage in their highlight reels.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Oh I agree.

My optimism isn't based on the acquisitions per se, but in my faith that McVay and Wade will properly put these guys in position to be successful.

If we still had Fisher, a) I'd seriously be wondering why these guys were coming and b) I'd have almost zero faith that they'd be successful, even on the D.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

My thoughts exactly, gotta walk-the-walk before you talk-the-talk. Will say I'm quite optimistic though considering our offense's ability to put 2-score games or higher against most teams; that'll give our secondary opportunities to play superb pass defense.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Always have to be one of you poop in everyone's soup people smh can't we just enjoy our Kool aide without you pouring lemon juice in it

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Always have to be one of you poop in everyone's soup people smh can't we just enjoy our Kool aide without you pouring lemon juice in it

Some lemon juice in Kool aide might be pretty good. But lemon juice in your chocolate milk??? :puke: