Rams’ scary defensive prospects: secondary rated worst in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Rams’ scary defensive prospects: secondary rated worst in the NFL​

Rams cornerbacks and safeties could not escape it.

In June, the website Pro Football Focus ranked NFL secondaries for the 2023 season.

The Rams were dead last, worst in the NFL.

Fans took notice.

“We’ve heard it, for sure,” safety Jordan Fuller said.

Second-year cornerback Derion Kendrick said he was “very aware” of the rankings and the perception that the secondary would be the defense’s weak link. Players made printouts of the rankings to put in their lockers, he said.

“Just to motivate us every day,” he said.

Defensive coordinator Raheem Morris apparently is not concerned.

“I didn’t grow up in a social media world where I have to live that life and have to respond,” Morris said at the start of training camp. “Some of my young guys do, so it bothers those guys somewhat some more, but this is a mental toughness game.”

After last season’s disastrous 5-12 finish, the Rams traded, released or passed on re-siging four experienced players in the secondary.

Jalen Ramsey, a three-time All-Pro cornerback and weekly nemesis for offensive coordinators, was traded to the Miami Dolphins. Cornerback Troy Hill was not re-signed and the Rams let safeties Nick Scott and Taylor Rapp sign with the Cincinnati Bengals and Buffalo Bills, respectively.

The Rams began offseason workouts with second-year pros Kendrick and Cobie Durant as the top returning cornerbacks. Rookie Tre Tomlinson joined a group that included Shaun Jolly and a parade of undrafted free agents.

“That’s what I like about the defense. Everybody hungry. Everybody got something to prove.”

— Derion Kendrick, cornerback, on Rams’ young secondary

Fourth-year pro Fuller, second-year pros Russ Yeast and Quentin Lake and rookie Jason Taylor II were the safeties.

The Rams later signed cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon and safety John Johnson to veteran-minimum contracts. But the worst-in-the-league label will remain until proven otherwise.

“When you don’t know the people, obviously, you’re going to say they’re the worst secondary, they got the worst whatever,” Morris said. “But that’s part of the challenge is to go out there and let somebody rise to the occasion.”

The Rams need numerous unproven players to step up for a defense that includes only one star: future Hall of Fame lineman Aaron Donald.

Third-year linebacker Ernest Jones is the signal-caller for a defense that also no longer features veteran linebacker Bobby Wagner and edge rusher Leonard Floyd.

Kendrick expects youth to prevail.

“That’s what I like about the defense,” he said. “Everybody hungry. Everybody got something to prove.”

New defensive backs coach Aubrey Pleasant is in his second stint with the Rams, his first as defensive pass game coordinator.

Pleasant, a member of coach Sean McVay’s original 2017 staff, left after the 2020 season to become defensive backs coach and pass game coordinator for the Detroit Lions.

After the Lions started 1-6 last season, coach Dan Campbell fired Pleasant. The Green Bay Packers quickly hired him as a consultant for the offense. He spent the remainder of the season breaking down defenses for coach Matt LaFleur.

The Rams’ situation this season is similar to 2017, Pleasant said.

“Nobody expected us to do anything except the people that were here,” Pleasant said. “No matter what that talent of that roster was compared to this roster, you have to take the same approach. ... I want to be the team that nobody expects this year.

“I’m comfortable with that — and I think my guys are comfortable as well.”

Witherspoon, a seventh-year pro, signed in late June. He brings experience to the young, feisty cornerback group.

“The biggest thing I feel is just the hunger and the desire, and that’s something that’s infectious and something that’s easy to work alongside with,” he said, adding, “It can be a special group, but it’s going to take a unique set of traits to overcome some of the things that we might be lacking, which is experience, but it’s not impossible.”

The addition of Johnson, a Ram from 2017 to 2020 before he played the last two seasons for the Cleveland Browns, added experience and depth at safety. So, Fuller, a team captain, is confident the secondary will assert itself. He compared the worst-in-the-league ranking to other preseason projections that often are proved wrong.

“Every year there’s a whole bunch of talk about who’s going to win the Super Bowl, who’s going to be the best team in the league, who are the worst teams in the league,” he said. “But you don’t really know until you play.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“I didn’t grow up in a social media world where I have to live that life and have to respond,” Morris said at the start of training camp. “Some of my young guys do, so it bothers those guys somewhat some more, but this is a mental toughness game.”

Yep. It's wonderful not having to worry about social media.

“When you don’t know the people, obviously, you’re going to say they’re the worst secondary, they got the worst whatever,” Morris said. “But that’s part of the challenge is to go out there and let somebody rise to the occasion.”

On the money. The hope is they let everyone know who they are.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Well, it will be funny as hell if they prove to be better without Ramsey than with him, of course a lot is going to depend on how Morris choses to deploy his secondary. If he continues to use this soft ass zone coverage it will be a long year.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rankings, made in June, were prior to the additions of Johnson, Witherspoon and Shelley, and prior to seeing Tomlinson in pre-season games. In other words, worthless for the team we currently have.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's not the secondary Rams need to worry about, it's the DLine. Light in the pants, no cohesion, suspect pass rush.
Hope I'm wrong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t think it will be quite that bad. It could even be good. I’m guessing that part of the Rams dismal secondary scheme from last year was taken into account when they considered this ranking.

That scheme was not what they will be running this season.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
ROD-BOT molests robo-collies.
Dog Puppy GIF by ADWEEK

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's gonna be cool to see our young corners get tested in the opener by Metcalf and company.

sloramfan

Starter
It'll be even cooler when the secondary shuts the door on the seahawks...

man for some reason this feels like 2017, when i kept telling people that i thought sean mcvay was sandbaggin...

i was right..

somethings cooking..

there ain't no fucking way the rams are gonna waste this year with the guys like staff and aaron and kupp and higgs and havs and jjIII, i'm sure some of us could add some names to that, not to mention mcvay's pride...

the rams will shock all the numb brained talking heads, like they have been doing the last few years... and don't give me shit about last year... it was a tsunami to say the least...

go rams

slo

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's not the secondary Rams need to worry about, it's the DLine. Light in the pants, no cohesion, suspect pass rush.
Hope I'm wrong.
Rams have one defensive linemen over 300lbs & that is Bobby Brown III (324) and most of the others are not really close. Ernest Brown IV, 270, backup NT Kobie Turner, 288, Jonah Williams 275, Larrell Murchison is the closet at 297, with Desjuan Johnson rounding out the group at 285, misprint on the website listing him at 252.

Again I don't get it and feel Rams will be gashed in the running game.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Hope I'm wrong.
You are right partially - we need to equally worry about the OLBs and Secondary as well as the DL. The DL run D will be tested immediately again st Seattle. I think we will get endlessly gashed. When you remove proven talent such as Gaines, Wagner, Floyd, AShawn and Ramsey playing the star it is a prescription for disaster for our Run D.