Rams Safety T.J. McDonald: “We want to play physical”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wish he blitzed like Quintin Mickell.
Still see deep safety as his prime spot....And definitely Mo Alexander as the primary in the box guy....of course interchangeable as well....Just like Fisher likes them. Seems as if the light came on for him last game....He flashed, for a whole series...Interested to see this defense vs an inferior Cleveland offense...should be a great morale booster.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 seeing things I don't:
Still see deep safety as his prime spot....And definitely Mo Alexander as the primary in the box guy....of course interchangeable as well....Just like Fisher likes them. Seems as if the light came on for him last game....He flashed, for a whole series
So I'm interested in why you think he's best utilized as a deep safety. His dismal performance doing that very thing in college is why he fell in the draft. I've yet to see him flash any of that skill set in the NFL so far. I wasn't able to see the last game so I can't comment on whether the "light came on for him" or not but I take it you feel he really nailed it (a deep safety skill set) in that game would that be correct? Was it against starting quality players?

I agree with you about Mo though. To me, he's another player that resembles McD in that playing in the box is where his skill set is. Good to have two of those guys when it's a short yardage situation.

FRO

Legend
McDonald was a highly criticized draft pick on message boards. Guy was good for us last year. I think he is going to be a nice building block on our defense for years.

Alan

Legend
FRO liking him some McD:
McDonald was a highly criticized draft pick on message boards. Guy was good for us last year. I think he is going to be a nice building block on our defense for years.
I agree. He greatly exceeded my expectations too. We still need a FS though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So I'm interested in why you think he's best utilized as a deep safety. His dismal performance doing that very thing in college is why he fell in the draft. I've yet to see him flash any of that skill set in the NFL so far. I wasn't able to see the last game so I can't comment on whether the "light came on for him" or not but I take it you feel he really nailed it (a deep safety skill set) in that game would that be correct? Was it against starting quality players?

I agree with you about Mo though. To me, he's another player that resembles McD in that playing in the box is where his skill set is. Good to have two of those guys when it's a short yardage situation.

TJ McDonald's first 2 years (and most successful) at USC were as a free safety. M. Kiffin moved him to SS as a Jr. & senior in a flawed attempt to re-create the Tampa 2 defense in college. You need a superior MLB that has range. His ball skills can be developed and he is a very smart player. He also has the range & speed needed to cover the back end. He only needs experience in play recognition. The starters played primarily the first 2 series vs Green Bay, unless they needed extra work. Seems he may have played 3, but doubt it. After reviewing the game, seems like the safeties were required to play off, which is where Williams likes them, very deep, unless they are manned up on the TE. To keep a poor tackler in the game at safety is asking for trouble. TJ can handle it, and I'm pretty sure Mo can as well. Might as well get the best 11 on the field.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 with game info:
TJ McDonald's first 2 years (and most successful) at USC were as a free safety. M. Kiffin moved him to SS as a Jr. & senior in a flawed attempt to re-create the Tampa 2 defense in college. You need a superior MLB that has range. His ball skills can be developed and he is a very smart player. He also has the range & speed needed to cover the back end. He only needs experience in play recognition. The starters played primarily the first 2 series vs Green Bay, unless they needed extra work. Seems he may have played 3, but doubt it. After reviewing the game, seems like the safeties were required to play off, which is where Williams likes them, very deep, unless they are manned up on the TE. To keep a poor tackler in the game at safety is asking for trouble. TJ can handle it, and I'm pretty sure Mo can as well. Might as well get the best 11 on the field.
I was aware of his history at USC and as I remember it, he was successful his first two years because of his hitting and play making abilities, among other things, not for any ability to play center field. Which he wasn't asked to do. I could be wrong about this but I haven't observed the Rams trying to utilize him in that role. Considering what we had/have there, why not?

I'm not saying he hasn't flashed some skills. I like him in man coverage. He's also been burned more times than a torch in Transylvania. Thanks, always wanted to say that in a sentence. :LOL:

He's a SS in my books. At least until he shows me I'm wrong. Nothing wrong with a good/great SS though.(y)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LOL....another interesting viewpoint...Hope he gets a chance to prove the naysayers wrong about his coverage skills.