Rams Roundtable: Too quick to doubt Quick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[vim]56060741[/vim]
http://vimeo.com/56060741

Tony Softl and Anthony Stalter discuss the growth of Brian Quick at WR and why it is too early to close the book on him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey. Enough with the cute ways to use Brian's last name in a storyline, okay?
We get it. His last name can be a noun, adjective or an adverb. Get over it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
Hey. Enough with the cute ways to use Brian's last name in a storyline, okay?
We get it. His last name can be a noun, adjective or an adverb. Get over it.

You don't even know. Imagine having a very good, very fast MVP goalie named Quick. The NHL pun headlines had a field day.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quick has shown progress. I think that's all you can ask for from such a raw player.

He's getting more involved and I'd like to see more of that these next 2 weeks.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
If anyone is worried about a rookie from a small school, let the kid learn the fine details of being a great WR before we throw him to the dogs. Like the video said I cannot wait to see this guy play next year. :yeh:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If they made it through a season in the NFL it's too early to give up on them,any rookie.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The whole subject is stupid. If I may be so blunt.

When did we become so impatient that we're talking about a guy being a bust in his first 14 games?
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

I guess it's a good thing we weren't so impatient with Isaac Bruce after his stellar first year.

ace77f52f0e7490c96cf2e5.png

Let's check in with Brian after the season is over. Right now he has one less TD and a higher Y/R

F. Mulder

Starter
I think the Quick thing is frustrating on several fronts:

1) he was (or sure seemed to be) really built up post-draft, by Ram personnel so some of us saw a relative 1st round type draft choice and therefore expected him to produce as such

2) he obviously came from a small school with a limited play book and lower competition which is hard to overcome (which is not a surprise in reality)

3) this is a team desperate for offense,and when some saw such a touted and talented guy often not even playing and when he was playing struggling for higher production, some got frustrated.

4) the seemingly obvious on-field struggles when he was in. Not fighting for the NE int and making the tackle. Not running routes past first down marks. Running wrong routes. Not picking up hot reads etc.

5) frustration with the coaches for not playing him more when someone like Steve Smith seems to offer so little.

6) frustration with the coaches for not having at least a Brian Quick mini-package of plays he can learn and run while learning the entire offense (and becoming proficient at it).

I think the guy is going to be fine. I, like others, want to see him more the last 2 games but believe an NFL offseason will do wonders for him. Just me blindly throwing out numbers, I can see him as a 45-55 type catch WR next season with some nice scoring and RAC production. I look for him to be a much bigger part of this offense next season, leaping over the likes of Smith, probably Pettis, and probably Gibson (IF he is resigned). Of course some of that depends on what we do this offseason with existing WRs and new WRs added to the team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
F. Mulder said:
I think the Quick thing is frustrating on several fronts:

1) he was (or sure seemed to be) really built up post-draft, by Ram personnel so some of us saw a relative 1st round type draft choice and therefore expected him to produce as such

2) he obviously came from a small school with a limited play book and lower competition which is hard to overcome (which is not a surprise in reality)

3) this is a team desperate for offense,and when some saw such a touted and talented guy often not even playing and when he was playing struggling for higher production, some got frustrated.

4) the seemingly obvious on-field struggles when he was in. Not fighting for the NE int and making the tackle. Not running routes past first down marks. Running wrong routes. Not picking up hot reads etc.

5) frustration with the coaches for not playing him more when someone like Steve Smith seems to offer so little.

6) frustration with the coaches for not having at least a Brian Quick mini-package of plays he can learn and run while learning the entire offense (and becoming proficient at it).

I think the guy is going to be fine. I, like others, want to see him more the last 2 games but believe an NFL offseason will do wonders for him. Just me blindly throwing out numbers, I can see him as a 45-55 type catch WR next season with some nice scoring and RAC production. I look for him to be a much bigger part of this offense next season, leaping over the likes of Smith, probably Pettis, and probably Gibson (IF he is resigned). Of course some of that depends on what we do this offseason with existing WRs and new WRs added to the team.

Sweet post, Agent Mulder (that is now stuck to you like glue, btw).

I especially agree with #6.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
How's AJ Jenkins, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd all doing? I don't see much on those 3 and all in all can see Quick right in a median of all mentioned.

Donnie Avery was treated the same from a pass happy Houston spread team who happened to have Kolb. I remember numerous writers and "fans" immediately bashing the pick because of DeSean Jackson's immediate impact. Several years later DJ10 seems to be on the decline and Avery ascending. BQ will develop to another level next season.

I will say out of the rookie wr class of 2012 I like what Josh Gordon has brought to the Browns. TY Hilton has been a huge contributor for the Colts as well.

BQ will be just fine.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
What I like about Quick is that we're seeing improvement. In increments, yes, but they are signs that he can be the player we want him to be.

I never bought into the supposed hype. Despite what Fisher/Snead had to say about Quick post-Draft, I read between the lines. That is, rookie WR, small school, no WR coach.

When posters touted some highly optimistic numbers for him in training camp, I just SMH and said nothing. Besides, I liked the optimism.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BatteringRambo said:
How's AJ Jenkins, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd all doing? I don't see much on those 3 and all in all can see Quick right in a median of all mentioned.

Donnie Avery was treated the same from a pass happy Houston spread team who happened to have Kolb. I remember numerous writers and "fans" immediately bashing the pick because of DeSean Jackson's immediate impact. Several years later DJ10 seems to be on the decline and Avery ascending. BQ will develop to another level next season.

I will say out of the rookie wr class of 2012 I like what Josh Gordon has brought to the Browns. TY Hilton has been a huge contributor for the Colts as well.

BQ will be just fine.

Desean Jackson; 5 years $51 million, 700yds receiving. Granted, the whole dream team is struggling... still found those numbers mind-boggling.

You point is right on; rookies struggle at WR more often than not.