Rams Roster Review: WR Kenny Britt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
St. Louis Rams Roster Review: WR Kenny Britt
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ on Jul 1 2014

imageedit_2_5799281764_zps7e47d5ea.0_standard_709.0.png

Kenny Britt is one of the St. Louis Rams’ most notable 2014 free agent signings. Where does he fit on the team’s depth chart, and what are his expectations for the upcoming year?

The St. Louis Rams' acquisition of former Titans’ wideout - and Jeff Fisher draft pick - Kenny Britt didn’t necessarily satisfy the hunger pangs of many fans still yearning for a game-changing wide receiver. That being said, Britt is the only notable WR signing - in free agency and the draft - the organization has made in 2014.

And there appears to be very little grey area as it pertains to opinions on the Rams’ newest receiver. You either welcome the very cost-friendly signing [1 yr, $1.4mil], or have mentally prepared yourself for his unceremonious release sometime in the near future. Regardless, this signing [as aforementioned] doesn’t appear to have satiated the desire for the long lost, "true number one," heroic-type wide receiver fans have waited for since the conclusion of the 2008 season; when Torry Holt exited stage left.

When weighing your own opinion on the matter, keep this in mind...

The Pros: Britt is only 25 years old, and possesses the size and athletic ability to make big plays in the Rams’ passing game. Despite being drafted in 2009 [30th overall], Britt is only about sixteen months older than Brian Quick; who was drafted in 2012. He’s also shown the ability to eclipse the ever-elusive [yet not all that impressive] 700-yd mark in a single season...something none of the current Rams’ WR’s have done. In Britt’s rookie year, he had 42 catches, 701 yards, and 3 TD’s. In his sophomore season as a pro [his best statistically] he went for 42/775/9.

Also, he’s picking up quickly in camp. Despite making a few waves in OTA’s, Britt’s doing something none of the other wideouts are...making headlines for standout performances. You may remember, and yes it’s just practice, Britt burning the Rams’ starting cornerbacks - Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson - on the first day of organized team activities. He let the young CB’s hear about it too. And teammate scuffles aside, it’s refreshing to see Britt’s competitive nature, and ability to beat starting caliber corners with speed. Somebody’s got to...

Britt has only played in one [full] sixteen game season though. Which brings us to...

The Cons [no pun intended]: Britt has trouble staying on the field, and in large part due to off-the-field legal matters. In January 2010, Britt was arrested in New Jersey for three outstanding traffic warrants totaling $865. In April 2011, Britt was arrested after being pulled over by police for doing 71 mph in a 50 mph zone [again in NJ]. He then drove off in an attempt to elude the police officer. He was caught by that police officer shortly thereafter...walking away from the vehicle [Porsche] he’d been caught speeding in. Two months later, in June 2011, Britt was again arrested for two counts of resisting arrest. In January 2013, Britt dropped a close personal friend off at a New Jersey hospital shortly after being stabbed. When police began to question Britt about the situation, he refused to cooperate. That was just Britt’s 9th run-in with the police since being drafted, less than four years prior.

Oh, and then there was the sex tape, Britt’s first fun off-field activity as a Ram.

Aside from the anticipation of his 10th brush with the law, or dropping the sequel to his first cinematic masterpiece, what’s there to worry about?

Glad you asked. "Dropsies"

According to Pro Football Focus, Britt ranked amongst the league’s worst in regards to holding on to "catchable balls" in 2013:

Roster Battle
Before signing with the Rams in early April, Britt made it very clear he’s still got what it takes to be a "Number 1" wide receiver in the NFL, and that he’s got every intention of seeing that it happens. At the conclusion of the 2013 season, Britt said in an interview with The Tennessean:

I am going to be a No. 1 receiver somewhere else if I am not here next year, and that is guaranteed. I am definitely going to be a receiver that makes plays on Sundays and makes something happen for a team.
Britt now has a new home, and looks to be in prime position to see his plans through to fruition. Simply put, the competition isn’t steep at the split end [x] position for the Rams. Britt’s primary competition will be Brian Quick, who’s shown flashes but has yet to consistently put together a string of meaningful games, yet alone an entire season.

Both Britt and Quick are comparable in size/stature, but barring a breakout from Quick [which appears to be a long shot] over the next few months, it appears Britt will be well on his way to becoming the "No. 1 receiver somewhere else" he was guaranteeing several months ago.

Expectations
Scenario A) Britt, who’s had three knee surgeries, stays healthy for the entirety of the 2014 season. As does QB Sam Bradford. The two continue to build trust/rapport throughout the offseason, carrying over into regular season play. Britt maintains starting WR status, keeping his hands clean of off-field distractions/legal matters.

With those parameters set, I still think it’ll be difficult for Britt to eclipse the ever-elusive 700-yd mark that so many of his predecessors have sniffed in the past half decade. Prior to his injury in Week 7, Sam Bradford and Jared Cook - the team’s leading receiver in 2013 - seemed to have a great [and strengthening] rapport. Throw in the fact that Tavon Austin should be more heavily featured, Stedman Bailey will play in increased role after his four game suspension, Chris Givens will look to bounce back from a rather disappointing sophomore season, and looks from the Rams’ signal caller might be tough to come by. I do, however, think he’ll be a solid, and much-needed, red zone threat.

Let’s not forget the Rams’ have made it pretty clear they intend on relying heavily on the run-game in 2014.

If I had to call it, best case scenario [and I’ll buy the "chip on the shoulder" bit], I’d say Britt catches around 60 passes, 660 yards, and fives touchdowns. Not a bad year...but St. Louis isn’t the place if he’s looking for a near triple-digit catch total.

Scenario B) More of the same from the "Cons" section above. Britt struggles to hold onto the ball. He struggles to stay on the field; either as a result of injury [knees go bad quickly in the Edward Jones Dome] or off-field drama.

In this scenario, he falls in line [statistically speaking] with much of the "depth" on the Rams’ roster. He’ll be looking in the ballpark of 35 catches, 430 yards, and two scores. Call "Scenario B" a huge disappointment.

And those are just meaningless prognostications of my own, several months before a meaningful snap is played. Is it possible Britt approaches 1,000 yards in his first season in St. Louis? Absolutely. Is it also plausible to think he becomes victim of a run-heavy offense that spreads the ball around to the bevy of up-and-comers on passing downs? That he finds himself in incarcerated on game day? Hard to say "no" to either.

The "expectations" for Britt are high though, regardless of your take on his signing. The Rams saw fit to pass on guys like Sammy Watkins andMike Evans in the 2014 draft. Britt has to be involved in this offense. As a matter of fact, they need him to be.

Will He Make The Roster In 2014?
C’mon now. Britt is a low-risk [monetarily speaking], high-reward signing, and we’ll find out where his priorities lie prior to, potentially during, the regular season. The Rams may have found themselves a steal in free agency if Britt can keep his head on straight, and play to his full potential. The question is whether or not Jeff Fisher and Co. can keep him on the straight and narrow. There’s obviously, based on his track record, a very good chance he hinders his own ability. Let’s face it... the meetings with police far outweigh the number of seasons played.

Either way, he’s making the final 53. Whether or not you’re hearing "Ay Papi" in the end zone, or on Instagram, will speak volumes about his true value to the team in 2014 though.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sometimes I feel like "good hands" are not valued enough by this coaching staff.
I don't have many complaints about this regime. Love Fisher, think he has us right where we need to be.....
That said...
... fast WRs, big WRs... if they don't have good hands, they are not GOOD WRs....

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Sometimes I feel like "good hands" are not valued enough by this coaching staff.
I don't have many complaints about this regime. Love Fisher, think he has us right where we need to be.....
That said...
... fast WRs, big WRs... if they don't have good hands, they are not GOOD WRs....

I hear ya Badnews. Now for the good news. Pettis and Bailey had the lowest drop percentages.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I intentionally haven't made many comments (yet) concerning the prospects and potential skills of Britt, simply because I want to see him in game situations. That said, I did comment a couple of weeks ago (that) I liked how he catches the ball. Admittedly, when he was signed, I did have flashes of "DX". Not necessarily as a direct comparison, but because he struck me as both someone who could run good routes and more importantly, "fight" for the ball. Basically, I know very little about him up to this moment, but I get the "sense" that this guy may well be the primary receiver we've been looking for. I base this upon thin circumstances to date (attitude, competitiveness and his early performance during his rookie season).

Personally, I've been a tad surprised by the lack of confidence in Britt by many members of ROD. Don't misunderstand, there are reasons for concern, at the same time, history is replete with examples of "revised" careers, the result from being in the wrong system or initially being unprepared for the NFL or just plain OLE immaturity.

I may be completely wrong (it won't be the first time), but I can't escape the feeling that this guy may be just the catalyst that sparks this offense, not unlike the energy and leadership that Faulk brought in 99.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Kenny Britt...Hell, I like talent...Snisher likes him, I love him....I'd like to start Britt & Quick, on the field at the same time...Tavon in the slot

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Kenny Britt...Hell, I like talent...Snisher likes him, I love him....I'd like to start Britt & Quick, on the field at the same time...Tavon in the slot

Cosign.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Despite my concerns about the over all "hands" of our recievers, I think the Britt signing was a no-brainer for our team.

His impact is already being felt. If he does nothing this season but our young WRs play with more confidence and take the next step, then this signing will be well worth it.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Britt is a great pickup. High-potential, low-risk, and while drops are an issue, look at some of the guys near the top of the "worst hands" list - Jordy Nelson, TY Hilton, Greg Little Cecil Shorts - all pretty good, impactful WRs. Also, it's noticeable that there's a lot of "pairs" - Hilton and Avery on Indy, Britt and Washington on Tenn, Streater and Moore on Oak - maybe there's something to WRs having a "catchable" ball, although Luck's guys being up there makes me question that immediately.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Britt is a great pickup. High-potential, low-risk, and while drops are an issue, look at some of the guys near the top of the "worst hands" list - Jordy Nelson, TY Hilton, Greg Little Cecil Shorts - all pretty good, impactful WRs. Also, it's noticeable that there's a lot of "pairs" - Hilton and Avery on Indy, Britt and Washington on Tenn, Streater and Moore on Oak - maybe there's something to WRs having a "catchable" ball, although Luck's guys being up there makes me question that immediately.

I was thinking that as well, two Colts and I think two Raiders....plus a bunch of guys like Shorts, Nelson that we could use.....

SierraRam

Recreational User
There's a lot to like (size, speed) and a lot be concerned about (3 knee surgeries, Diva). If Fish can keep his Britt's head in the game, we got something. I love the thought of using the 4-receiver sets from the GSOT days. This time with:

Britt, Bailey, Tavon & Givens. Sub in Cook, Quick and Pettis in the red zone. (y)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
There's a lot to like (size, speed) and a lot be concerned about (3 knee surgeries, Diva). If Fish can keep his Britt's head in the game, we got something. I love the thought of using the 4-receiver sets from the GSOT days. This time with:

Britt, Bailey, Tavon & Givens. Sub in Cook, Quick and Pettis in the red zone. (y)

I think you might be reaching in that "thought". Not sure you are going to see many 4 WR sets out of this group in any situation. Unless you include Cook in that scenario. You could see a whole lot more 2 TE sets with both Kendricks and Cook, along with Britt and Austin. Or a combination of Britt, Quick or Bailey.

As far as the drops, IMO, the biggest factor as a group this team has faced, is simply the inexperience. I look at L. Kendricks as a perfect example. In his rookie year, he struggled with EASY drops. Since then, he has shown to be one of the most reliable pass catchers on the roster. As these guys get more reps, and the game slows down for them, the drops will be fewer and further between.

I look for Austin, Quick, and even Givens to be much more consistent this year. And with what it at stake for Britt, no reason to think he won't keep his head no straight.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I think you might be reaching in that "thought". Not sure you are going to see many 4 WR sets out of this group in any situation. Unless you include Cook in that scenario. You could see a whole lot more 2 TE sets with both Kendricks and Cook, along with Britt and Austin. Or a combination of Britt, Quick or Bailey.

As far as the drops, IMO, the biggest factor as a group this team has faced, is simply the inexperience. I look at L. Kendricks as a perfect example. In his rookie year, he struggled with EASY drops. Since then, he has shown to be one of the most reliable pass catchers on the roster. As these guys get more reps, and the game slows down for them, the drops will be fewer and further between.

I look for Austin, Quick, and even Givens to be much more consistent this year. And with what it at stake for Britt, no reason to think he won't keep his head no straight.

With Fish in charge, yes, it's only a thought. We're not that kind of team, but we could be. That's all I was saying - We're better at WR than some pundits think.

Britt does have a lot at stake. But saying there is "no reason to think" he won't trip himself up? That might be a reach, too. Hope your right!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If you are hurt, you drop more, if you are unsure of what you are doing, you drop more.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can't wait to see these guys on the field in about the 3rd preseason game. That should be the week they get to play a solid half with the team setting things up for the first regular season game. They cannot afford a slow start and I don't believe we will see the "vanilla" start they had in last year's preseason.

I have not heard anything to indicate a lack of concentration yet for Britt, in fact there has been nothing negative coming out of StL about him so I see no reason to be worried that he will crash and burn.This month is the danger zone, I really hope he is in StL not NJ and that he is continuing to work hard. As for the 700 yard marker I could not give less of a shiat about those meaningless personal numbers.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
So if Britt is lighting up Tru and JJ what does that say about them? And what does that say about Britt?