Rams Roster Review: RB Benny Cunningham/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Roster Review: RB Benny Cunningham

By Tevin Broner

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/6/27/5835652/rams-roster-review-rb-benny-cunningham

Next on the roster review we will take a look at running back Benny Cunningham.

Not many people expected much from last year's undrafted free agent Benny Cunningham, an undrafted free agent last year. Soome people didn't even expect him to make the final 53 man roster. Cunningham had a solid preseason where he had 20 carries for 123 yards. Although Cunningham wasn't an all-star, he showed enough to stick on the roster.

Opportunity knocked for Cunningham when Stacy went down with an injury. Cunningham used his chance to have two solid back to back games against the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears. Those were the only two times where he was "The Guy", but he looked pretty good when he got his chance.
Roster Battle

Cunningham will more than likely be competing with Isaiah Pead for the 3rd running back spot on the depth chart. He should easily be able to fend off Pead. Cunningham may also have a outside shot for the backup role to Zac Stacy, it all depends on Tre Mason. If Mason has a bad training camp, then it wouldn't be a surprise to me if Cunningham leaped past him for the backup role.
Expectations

I expect around the same amount of production for Cunningham, and more than likely he'll be behind rookie Tre Mason on the the depth chart.

If there's an injury and Cunningham has to come into a game, I don't see him being a big downgrade as a fill in starter. He's a close clone of Stacy, since they are both "bell-cow" type running backs and their running style is similar.
Will he make the Rams roster in 2014?

Yes, he will make the roster. Cunningham is a solid back, and he should be a solid insurance policy for the Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Crickets ? I agree on Cunningham.
I liked Sam Bam back in the day from USC.
He proved his worth last year when called upon.I think he came off an injury,and missed some training camp? He should be stronger,faster,& healthier from last season.
He did well on kickoff returns,and is the front runner ahead of #8 pick Tavon Austin.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I don't think we needed to pick a RB in the draft, I'm high on this guy, and Pead might have some value as well.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I don't think we needed to pick a RB in the draft, I'm high on this guy, and Pead might have some value as well.

I don't think anyone saw that coming, but when Tre was there in the 3rd, we took a back some described as the best RB in the draft. As a team dedicated to the run, all 4 will get there chances. And the backups will be a huge part of our ST's. You can't help but like the underdog Benny. All he does is perform when his number is called.

JRobinson

MiLB

I definitely didn't expect to draft Mason. But, the more I thought about it, the more I understood and agreed with it. Why? Because it's a statement pick that we are running the football. Not to Mention that they must have had Mason at the top of their board. In addition, Mason is a different back than Stacy and Cunningham.

As the article stated, Benny is great insurance. But, in my estimation, Benny will get more touches then we may predict or assume.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I don't know anything about him "easily" being able to hold off Pead. I like Benny, but I think Pead will become one of the best third down backs in the league this year.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yes, but was he an undrafted free agent?

I digress. Bam Bam is solid in my book. With DR gone, I'm hoping we keep all 4 on the outside chance Pead emerges.

JRobinson

MiLB
I don't know anything about him "easily" being able to hold off Pead. I like Benny, but I think Pead will become one of the best third down backs in the league this year.

I respectfully disagree here my man. The main reason why is because Pead will most likely not even see the field on 3rd down situations due to Tre Mason's arrival, and Stacy's ability to run block. Not to mention the RB that the tread is about; Cunningham, who I personally (and believe the Rams do too) believe is ahead of Pead on the DC.

RAM$

UDFA
I respectfully disagree here my man. The main reason why is because Pead will most likely not even see the field on 3rd down situations due to Tre Mason's arrival, and Stacy's ability to run block. Not to mention the RB that the tread is about; Cunningham, who I personally (and believe the Rams do too) believe is ahead of Pead on the DC.

And I respectfully disagree here lol. Pead is arguably the best pass blocker in the group (Mason isn't even close), best receiver out of the backfield. It's on Pead he sounds more mature hopefully he grew up and makes a push for rb2.

JRobinson

MiLB
And I respectfully disagree here lol. Pead is arguably the best pass blocker in the group (Mason isn't even close), best receiver out of the backfield. It's on Pead he sounds more mature hopefully he grew up and makes a push for rb2.

But how can we make that assessment when he hasn't even had hardly any playing time? The guy has barely seen the field. What has he shown you to make you believe he's the best at these particular traits? He hardly has any stats lol.

I'll take any RB over Mason when it comes to pass blocking. That's a given.

RAM$

UDFA
Got me there he doesn't have much video evidence for me to show you, against Dallas he was killing it receiving and I was excited for him then he just dissapeared on us. If SB8 threw a rocket to any of our RBs I trust Peads hands the most.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Benny Cunningham has the ability to make some longer outside runs once he clears the the larger bodies this season. Benny had the same knee injury that Rams ORG Davin Joseph had and struggled mightily in Tampa coming back to form the year after...Benny being two yrs out should be as good as possible in 2014. Fisher has a serious young mixer of RB's here now with Stacy- Cunningham- Mason- Pead & now Watts....This will be fun if this OL can hold up. BC could get a half dozen big time long runs to the clear. I can wait to read it here...."I really did not see this Benny thing coming".........:)

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Cunningham projects as a good number 2 and an excellent replacement for Stacy if he gets hurt. I hope Mason exceeds expectations and is able to wrestle 8-10 carries a game from Stacy. I also hope the light comes on for Pead as well...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cunningham projects as a good number 2 and an excellent replacement for Stacy if he gets hurt. I hope Mason exceeds expectations and is able to wrestle 8-10 carries a game from Stacy. I also hope the light comes on for Pead as well...

Hey, if all four manage to make positive contributions, it'll only help this team win more games.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We should direct snap the ball to Aaron Donald in short yardage situations.
With his first step, I bet he gets 4 yards just falling forward at the LOS.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
We should direct snap the ball to Aaron Donald in short yardage situations.
With his first step, I bet he gets 4 yards just falling forward at the LOS.
So you want to make him the new Fridge? ;)

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm gonna do a post soon on my "confidence" in our team unit by unit. But the RB corps is one that I am NOT worried about. We have two guys who run with power (Stacy and Cunningham) and two that can stretch the field with their ability to hit the edge and catch out of the backfield (Mason and Pead). We are looking prety good as far as I am concerned.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Which ever guy protects the ball better in preseason between Mason,Pead and Cunningham will more than likely end up the #2 back. That and production, obviously.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I'm not a big fan of number one, number two ...

But after seeing Richardson given enough rope to hang himself at the beginning of the season, I think Stacy will be the workhorse in our power run game.

I do also think that Cunningham backs him up.

Our change of pace back is Mason and our third down back is Pead.

Haying said all of that, I still think there's a lot of competition at this position. It is, as has already been said not a unit that I worry over.