Rams Roster Review: OG Rodger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Rams Roster Review: OG Rodger Saffold
By Joe Stanfill@papapegasus on Jul 11 2014

GYI0062562736.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Dilip Vishwanat

Rodger 'The Inside Man' Saffold was part of the anxiety many Rams fans felt going into the off season. Many fans felt he should take a hike, while others had a rabid desire to resign the versatile offensive lineman. As the constant reader knows, Rodger Saffold agreed to terms with the Raiders on a $42.5 million contract which included $21 million in guaranteed money. Fortunately for the Rams, the Raiders doctors gave the team a Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card, saying that the '6 5"/332 lbs lineman needed shoulder surgery, subsequently "failing" Saffold's physical. There were reports that team owner Mark Davis gave the red light to finally signing Saffold. Rodger ended up signing with the Rams for $31.7 million with $19.5 million guaranteed.

Roster Battle

Saffold will start at guard this season, unless Rams left offensive tackleJake Long isn't ready to go on day one. The Rams have reported that Long should be ready to go, but it is a luxury to have a guy who can step in with experience at the position. Insofar as competition for the guard positions, there is no contest as long as Saffold remains healthy. Possible replacements include Davin Joseph, Barret Jones, and Brandon Washington. There could even be a scenario where Barret Jones moves to start at left guard, while Auburn rookie Greg Robinson slides over to take Saffold's position right of center. Rams fans should hope that never happens.

Expectations

During his 4 year tenure with the St. Louis Rams, Saffold has allowed 15 sacks, for an average of just 3.75 sacks per season, with his sophomore campaign being his worst at 10 sacks. It should be noted that during the 2013 season he allowed zero sacks in 9 starts and 12 appearances. Rodger's penalties have dropped since 2010 with only 2 false starts and zero holding penalties in 2013. The versatile lineman started at left tackle, right guard, and right tackle in 2013. If Saffold remains healthy, the Rams offensive line should have success in both the running and passing game.

Will He Make the Roster in 2014?

Making the roster is a forgone conclusion. The only way Saffold isn't on the field come game day, is if Saffold has an injury keeping him out of the lineup. Even then, Saffold is a fount of invaluable experience and technique, from which his replacements will draw from.

*While this video is a few years old, it shows the fire and passion Saffold brings to the team. It also happens to show him bullying the hell out of opposing defensive linemen.

Beast, but unhealthy beast. If he plays all 16 games at RG then he should be playing in a bowl game at the end of the season (Pro or Super).

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I like the theories that because he's not dealing with outside speed rushes, he's less likely to overextend his arms and hurt his shoulder. Makes sense. Hope it's true.

Guy was a world-class guard in 2013 when healthy.

FRO

Legend
He has all-pro type ability at OG. He was excellent there. He is an average LT, which is good for us because we may need him there if Long can't go. If our starting 5 is healthy and plays to the level they are capable we will have our best line in some long time. I can't wait to see our RBs run behind our OGs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This article brings up Saffold versatility & the probability of Saffold starting the season @ Jake Longs OLT post (n).... I have no issues with the mentioning the outstanding talent of Saffold where he can play four OL positions at will(y)...but now I am totally against seeing any more use of this versatility where Saffold is back to OT:eek:. They also mention the natural event of having vet Davin Joseph starting @ ORG for Saffold plus maybe even flipping Robinson to ORG from left:huh:??? All wrong in my small mindo_O. For Saffold sake just keep him @ ORG period!
I was overjoyed :banana:from what I saw very early in OTA's when Snead-Fisher-Shotty-Boudreau:admin:....set the OL as they want them to start this season & then looked to find a short time OLT from the best of the many OL reserves.:cool: As long as Jake Long is not 100% I prefer that this same early plan should be set & put in motion in TC & preseason & early in regular season too! In an serious attempt to jell the remaining four starters as much as possible as a fully functioning smooth running OL unit. Much of our problems results of the past two yrs of the unorganized mass disorder of OL'ers moving in & out & moved to other positions, nothing staying the same that has resulted in so many bad things:cry:. I know of no reason to mess :palm:with the jelling of the other four starters :hellno:just because one is ailing. I fully understand that my thoughts on this is unpopular. Keep Saffold @ ORG post period.

This Ram veteran OL'er Saffold has yet to display his best that he can bring due to injury after injury while playing OT. In free agency I knew that he was going to get some serious money & would depart...I was wrong on the one of the two. I know many here think that Jake Long is the best talent & is the key to this offense it was said many times earlier in another post.....however I am of a different thought. Rodger Saffold was a OT in college & was named the starting OT for this Ram team since his rookie season....Too bad he was playing out of position.

If the 330 plus massive strong Saffold (No longer a 310 pound OLT) can remain healthy & remain starting @ OG this season.... when this season ends he will be by far the best most valuable Ram OL by far:). Other veteran Ram OL'ers like Scott Wells, Jake Long & Davin Joseph all have experienced several great seasons over their long careers ...all three have been to the pro bowl many times. But the 26 yr old Saffold vet of four NFL seasons has yet to even begin to peak on just what he can do starting @ OG for this Ram offense.

I am convinced now as I was many years ago that Saffold was born to start in the NFL @ one of the two OG posts in an NFL line. Bettlejuice will dominate from day one if Boudreau will keep Saffold @ OG:D. The Ram opponents have no ideal :heh:what will have plowed through & buried their DL'ers. Opponents will have to call time out & call for picks & shovels to try to remove their Dl'ers from them from their deep planted positions in the turf:sneaky:.

In my mind Boudreau :coach:must develop from the non starting reserve OL'ers a solid temporary early starting OLT until Jake is ready. Boudreau has 59 days from now to get it done. :popcorn:

Last edited:

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'm excited we were able to bring Saffold back. He's a probowl guard and an above average starter at LT and RT. I really hope Jake Long recovers in time so our line has time to gel. I know we have guys who are versatile and are able to move around but if we can get at least 14 starting games from LT Long, LG Robinson, C Wells, RG Saffold, RT Barksdale in their positions I'll be extremely happy.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If Long is not ready to go, I'd much rather have Robinson start out at LT. Saffold is an all-pro type player at RG, at LT he is average. I'd rather him stick there, where he was not getting injured and move Joseph over to LG. Robinson is going to eventually be an LT anyway. We might as well let him start out there if Long can't start, because he is probably more comfortable right now playing LT than LG.

Bloggers/pundits seem to forget this, but Robinson has elite skills. He has the potential to be a All-Pro LT for years. He's the best LT prospect to come out in years. The only reason he didn't go #1 overall in one of the best drafts of the past 20 years is because Clowney also has elite, all world athletic ability. The Rams didn't just take a LG, they took a bookend tackle who might very well become as dominant and as good as Pace was.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Saff is one of our leaders....I don't want him moving around like a few posters noted. Continuity-Continuation-Cohesion all that, we need to get this line blocking as one unit....one band, one sound, oops that's drumline....My one concern, I'd like to see Wells replaced...He's straight garbage. Is Jones ready yet?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Stay Healthy Rodger Wilco Over and Out!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
GYI0062562736.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Sam Bradford has finally elevated and levitated his teammates! Now everyone will be happy!