Rams Roster Preview: Rodney McLeod/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Rams Roster Peview: Rodney McLeod

By Tevin Broner

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7/5/5862378/st-louis-rams-2014-roster-safety-rodney-mcleod

Today we take a look at one of the Rams starting defensive backs, safety Rodney McLeod.

The St. Louis Rams have no problem starting or playing players that weren't drafted high. So it wasn't much of a surprise when the Rams named Rodney McLeod as a starter in 2013. And as you can guess it wasn't an easy road that McLeod traveled to become a starter.

McLeod didn't get to hear his name called during the draft in 2012, but as an undrafted free agent he decided to join the Rams. Joining the Rams was a good decision for McLeod since this allowed him to make the final 53 man roster in 2012, which is great since making a team as a UDFA is always a longshot. In his rookie season, McLeod was only relied upon to play special teams and he played that role pretty well.

Then in 2013, McLeod had a chance to play for a starting position. He won the battle against the penciled in starter - the often injured Darian Stewart who ended up getting hurt during the competition. McLeod eventually became the starter for the season and ended the season with 79 tackles and 2 interceptions.

Roster battle

McLeod should be the starter this season at safety. There's really no experience at safety and the only challenge that comes to mind is rookie Maurice Alexander. He's more of an impressive project at the moment than a starter.

If he's going to lose his position on the depth chart it's going to be because of injury.

Expectations

I'm not the biggest believer in McLeod as a safety. He is the best safety on the roster right now, so I expect him to start. But, he didn't really make an impact during the season as a safety. I would go as far as to say that McLeod played nickel last season better than safety.

He is an important player on the Rams roster because of his versatility and his experience as a starter, but it's hard to expect him to be really good. I think he will be a stopgap starter this season while the Rams patch up their safety position.

Will McLeod be on the Rams roster in 2014?

Yes, he will make the team this year. The question is will one of the young rookies take his starting spot? It could happen, McLeod was far from good last season. He does offer the Rams some flexibility since he played safety and nickel back last season.

The Rams currently have projects at safety so it wouldn't be a surprise if McLeod starts this season and the other young safeties play sparingly. McLeod will have to improve on last years season if he is going to stay a starter this season, and stay on the team in 2015.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I agree that McLeod is probably a lock to make the roster and will most likely be a starter at safety to open the season, but also that he didn't necessarily shine at any one position. Maybe because he had to move around and was unable to settle in? To me his value is in his versatility and while he should make the roster it wouldn't surprise me to see playing time at both nickel and safety going to other players as the season progresses. Because of his versatility he is a valuable backup option.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I like McLeod a lot. What the gives up in natural talent he makes up with determination and heart. We need guys like this on our team.

SierraRam

Recreational User
"Expectations:
I'm not the biggest believer in McLeod as a safety. He is the best safety on the roster right now, so I expect him to start."

- Nope, that would be TJ McDonald

"Roster battle
McLeod should be the starter this season at safety. There's really no experience at safety and the only challenge that comes to mind is rookie Maurice Alexander"

- Perhaps, but this will be one of the most contested spots on the roster. I expect LaMarcus to get as many snaps as McLeod at first. Alexander, Gaines, Davis, Reid and others will be in the TC mix too.

Another half-assed effort to asses our team. Nice try T. Boner

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm going with Mo Alexander to start.....McLeod is a terrible tackler....That's what safeties do...or should do, well...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Call it a "Gut Feeling" but I have a feeling that if McLeod doesn't really 'Bring it' in Camp, he won't make it onto Williams D Roster.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I like McLeod a lot. What the gives up in natural talent he makes up with determination and heart. We need guys like this on our team.
I'm a huge Rudy guy, too, but sometimes it's just not enough. See Craig Dahl, he had all those qualities you list plus was perhaps the smartest player on the team but sad fact is he just doesn't have the talent to be in the NFL. McLeod's effort and heart makes up for his lack of talent to the point of him being mediocre at best. It makes him a great guy to root for but it's not enough, he has to go if the secondary is to become an elite unit.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, first off I expect McLeod to be much better this year than last and I don't expect Mo Alexander to start because he wasn't even healthy for OTA's and it will be an up hill climb I would expect Alexander to be in different packages, but starting not come September Morn against the queens.

Some like Matt "The Hat" Daniels, but I've never seen Daniels on the field yet and he's been with the Rams for two years so excuse me for not holding my breath. In the end I believe it will be another year of McLeod with his biggest challenge coming from maybe Christian Bryant, however, Bryant too is battling back from a foot injury. Alexander is too green in coverage and would be exposed and IMO the goal is to have T.J. McDonald in coverage because of size and Alexander hitting everybody when the two are on the field together.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Rodney McLeod seized the opportunity presented last year in training camp, when yet another UDFA Safety couldn't stay healthy during training camp. It was Darian Stewart's job to lose, and lose it he did. McLeod showed more instincts in terms of reading routes, and anticipating plays than anyone else at the position in camp last year with the possible exception of Cody Davis. Given the overall inexperience in the secondary, IMO, they weren't gonna consider starting TWO ROOKIES.

With that being said, when pressed into the dual role of playing Safety AND nickel CB, I think his overall development was affected. Given he is most likely to focus on Safety, I look for him to improve over last year's performance. He does a decent enough job in coverage, although he was exposed as a Nickel trying to match up with the quicker slot receivers. His biggest area of improvement, needs to be in his inconsistent tackling. Guilty all too often of trying to deliver the big hit, he ends up missing way too many tackles. IF, he can improve that part of his game, he could develop into the best option at this point.

I have said this a few times in previous threads, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Cody Davis given a shot to win the job. He has many of the same instincts, but is bigger, faster, and a much better tackler than McLeod.

Matt Daniels, is a "down hill" in the box type player. He has some major problems with reading the ball in the air. Watching the DBs do the agility drills, he is very stiff, and mechanical in his movements. IMO, he will face an uphill battle to make this roster this year.

Alexander is raw at best, and while they may love the prospects of having him along side McDonald, I don't see it happening much if at all THIS YEAR. The best one of the group, may end up being Christian Bryant, but I look for him to start camp on the PUP list, and may in fact get the proverbial "red-shirt" year to recover and develop.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I'm going with Mo Alexander to start.....McLeod is a terrible tackler....That's what safeties do...or should do, well...
I've noticed he's also bad at blocking after interceptions....
I think he can get better at everything, but not by much I feel his ceiling isn't as high as it should be.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I doubt Mo starts. He's strong in run support and blitzing, but he's awful in coverage. Unless he suddenly gets a lot better, unlikely because hes missed a lot of the installation of the defense, he's probably just going to be a sub package guy for this season. 2015 season I see Alexander-McDonald tandem happening though, unless someone else breaks out into a star by then.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

79 tackles for a safety.I'd say he misses some big tacklers,but all in all I'd say your wrong.Terrible is a bit of an exaggeration .

You can go with Mo,and I'd have to say I hope your right,because I think McLeod is a solid player.He is on the smallish side & maybe lacks speed.He makes good reads & should be that much better as a safety with his experience.I like yet another UDFA by Snead & company. He has done an excellent job finding young talent .
Mo should be fun to watch in special teams with his size & speed.Just think he is raw.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
79 tackles for a safety.I'd say he misses some big tacklers,but all in all I'd say your wrong.Terrible is a bit of an exaggeration .

You can go with Mo,and I'd have to say I hope your right,because I think McLeod is a solid player.He is on the smallish side & maybe lacks speed.He makes good reads & should be that much better as a safety with his experience.I like yet another UDFA by Snead & company. He has done an excellent job finding young talent .
Mo should be fun to watch in special teams with his size & speed.Just think he is raw.

maybe terrible is a little strong...every sports rating site has him as a poor safety/cb, with terrible coverage. Eyeball test says he's always a step late, plus has trouble bringing down rb's & TE.....79 tackles, how many solo's? How many of those are special teams? Doubt the snisher drafted a guy to ride behind an UDFA, who is better suited for core ST....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Members who will judge his 2013 performance where he played most of his downs as the Nickle-back in place of Cortland Finnegan could be a bit tainted. If Rodney McLeod is permitted to play safety this season his 2014 performance will be much better. Both he & McDonald will be pushed due to a much better safety cadre assemble this season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
maybe terrible is a little strong...every sports rating site has him as a poor safety/cb, with terrible coverage. Eyeball test says he's always a step late, plus has trouble bringing down rb's & TE.....79 tackles, how many solo's? How many of those are special teams? Doubt the snisher drafted a guy to ride behind an UDFA, who is better suited for core ST....
Mo Alexander was said to be like a Sean Taylor type build by Greg Williams.Fisher was the one who made the call on him.Demoff said if you like him that much take him at 4.
Like the poster above said if Rodney is to just concentrate at Safety he should be good.I don't think TJ has anything to worry about though as far as being pushed.He is going to be a solid if not a star.
Players are just one play away from being a starter though.I heard a quote from a Rams player talking about how good he is at safety.He is really vocal,which still doesn't help his tackling.The eye test I saw was he was a touch late,and missed some tackles he should have made,but love his aggressiveness !! When a safety misses a tackle though it's all or a big play.
I just think there were times he made some outstanding tackles as well.Right now it's all talk though.As a homer I still was not a OJ fan.