Rams Roster Preview: OT Darrell Williams Tries To Step Up in Year 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams Roster Preview: OT Darrell Williams Tries To Step Up In Year Two
By 3k

[www.turfshowtimes.com]

Late last June, I gave Rams OT Darrell Williams a 3.5/10 shot to make their initial 53-man roster. Suffice to say, I was surprised when he did just that when the Rams released their 53-man in early September.

Then November 15 happened.

The 4-4 Rams were coming off of a tough overtime road loss to the Minnesota Vikings to face a Chicago Bears team at home that should have allowed them to get back on track.

Instead, it unraveled their season.

An embarrassing 13-37 loss turned out to be the second of a five-game losing streak that sent the 2015 St. Louis Rams spiraling out of control. The Rams saw three offensive linemen injured that day: RT Rob Havenstein (injured his calf and missed the next two weeks), LG Jamon Brown (broke his leg and missed the rest of the season) and Williams (dislocated his wrist and missed the rest of the season).

Having logged just 25 offensive snaps in 2015, 16 of them coming in that loss to the Bears, can Williams stay in front of the rest of the pack at OT?

Roster Battle

So we've got to reset the offensive line parameters for 2016.

Last year, Head Coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Les Snead flooded the O-line depth chart drafting four new offensive linemen (Havenstein, Brown, OT Andrew Donnal and G Cody Wichmann) and adding another crop in the UDFA wave before going the extra mile and taking OT Isaiah Battle in the 2015 NFL Supplemental Draft.

Williams ultimately made it to the 53-man as one of ten offensive linemen and four tackles with Havenstein, Donnal and starting left tackle Greg Robinson.

As it stands, the top nine on the depth chart look pretty firm to make it again, leaving just Williams as the wild card setting up a potential storyline to track in a, well, battle between Williams and Battle...

Expectations

Williams is in a strange position here. As a second-year UDFA, he doesn't factor in heavily to early plans.

On the other hand, he made the 53-man and was your backup left tackle for much of the season. Any injury among the tackle corps probably changes everything here.

As it stands, if we're setting this up as a Williams v. Battle contest, are there any real expectations for either at this point?

Chances of Making 53-Man Roster (5/10)

Bear in mind, the Rams only kept three dedicated tackles on the 2014 53-man, so there's no annual requirement to hold four. And consider that shedding Williams (and the spot he occupied on the 53-man last year) opens up depth elsewhere where the Rams might be needier at the end of the preseason like at WR or LB.

That said, Williams earned his spot last year for a reason. Clearly, the staff valued his game to a significant degree. It's also worth pointing out that Williams picked up more special teams playing time than Donnal and Rodger Saffold and picked up just one less snap than Brown despite not featuring in four of the Rams' first five games.

If anything, there's reason to project Williams upward of where he was a year ago based on his limited usage in 2015 and the assumed work he got in practice. The question is if his wrist injury and subsequent rehab has put him behind the curve of the peers.

At this point, I think it's impossible to know until we see him in training camp.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I loved this kid from day one and researching showcased he was rarely beaten or out of position and preseason underscored his ability and believe me as Ram fans we've seen some horrendous UDFA play at Offensive Tackle like Sean Hooey for example.

When Williams finally received his opportunity against the Bears, Nick Foles threw and interception and Jamon Brown and Williams were both hurt trying to make the tackle and were both lost for the season, Fisher benched Foles after that game.

I am hoping that GROB really grows by leaps and bounds this year, but with Darrell Williams providing depth, it makes this Ram fan sleep far better at night and I run through the depth chart in my mind before I am fast asleep.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As it stands, if we're setting this up as a Williams v. Battle contest, are there any real expectations for either at this point?
Real good question! I'm leaning toward Battle in this contest. But for no big reason, other than we spend so much capital, in the supplemental Draft to get him and I like the Last Name "Battle", sounds Cool!:LOL: Not the most Brilliant way to decide, But we'll see how things play out!;)

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

I am not buying that this is a Williams vs Battle situation or that it is a lock that they will have 10 OL on the 53 man roster. I like both of them better than Donnal and if someone other than Rainey can play guard/center, then I think Rainey is out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope both Williams and Battle shine in the preseason games and the Rams trade one of them to get their 5th round pick back...........or even better if some team is depserate for a OLT. Then the other stays as the backup. If Williams goes to the Practice Squad some team will snatch him up. Offensive linemen are needed everywhere and Williams could easily make most 53 man rosters as depth. I hope Battle takes a leap forward and gives the Rams options.

This is a good probelm to have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not buying that this is a Williams vs Battle situation or that it is a lock that they will have 10 OL on the 53 man roster. I like both of them better than Donnal and if someone other than Rainey can play guard/center, then I think Rainey is out.

I was not impressed with Donnal at all. I am not so quick to give up on Rhaney though. I think he needed time to get stronger. His athleticism is very impressive.

That being said Williams looked better than Rhaney. Battle didn't.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have Darrell Williams listed easy as the #8 best Ram OL'er. We saw last season where UDFA Darrell Williams was utilized as a swing OT playing both OT post. DW play for a rookie at both these positions was generally done well without issues. Do I need to remind this writer that "Swing OT's" are very hard to come by! There is great roster value in OL'ers who are legit Swing OT's.

Isaiah Battle was a 5th rd. pick & never saw the playing field during the regular season. IB was a one post OL'er @ LT in college. IB was listed as being only 290 pounds & is listed close to being 6-8. IB a very thin LT was signed up from the PS when Saffold was IR'd. IB must prove he has the girth & lower power needed to play strong side OT. IB has never shown this ability.

4th rd. draft selection Andrew Donnal was utilized @ 3 positions RT/LG/RG. While AD's play @ RT was far better than his play @ both OG posts. AD proved he is a poor OG. Rams have other OL'ers who could back up Havenstein @ RT if needed i.e. Garrett Reynolds, Rodger Saffold, Darrell Williams & possibly Cody Wichmann. All of those four OL'er will make the 53 player roster so a need of a one post back up @ RT is a very low on the priority.Making this roster as a one post RT player will be almost impossible. AD must prove he can play more than one post effectively.

IMO Darrell Williams has shown much maturity & great ability to handle the stress of the NFL. It would not surprise me that besides being the main swing OT on this roster DW will get some LEFT OG action in TC & pre- season too & looking good doing it. It is going to be hard for either Battle or Donnal to over take DW OL position.

"Bear in mind, the Rams only kept three dedicated tackles on the 2014 53-man, so there's no annual requirement to hold four. And consider that shedding Williams (and the spot he occupied on the 53-man last year) opens up depth elsewhere where the Rams might be needier at the end of the preseason like at WR or LB."

I have an issue with this above paragraph. back in 2014 Fisher & Snead went into the 2014 season with FIVE OT's.

#1-Jake Long was the starting LT.
#2-Joe Barksdale was the starting RT
#3-Mike Person was the LT/RT reserve.
#4-Greg Robinson was a LT/RG reserve
#5-Rodger Saffold has always been Fisher's the main back up game day to LT, even though Saffold was the new starting OLG. Sure enough when our starting LT Robinson went out in game 15 with a toe injury Saffold finished the game & started the final season game @ starting LT.

* It should be mentioned too, that Brandon Washington who was on the 2014 53 player roster was a LT in college & had spent much of the 2014 TC & pre season playing RT. Should I also mention that 1st yr OL Barrett Jones who was active for 7 games, in college for Alabama started @ LT & RT.

So the "only kept three dedicated tackles on the 2014 53-man" statement is not accepted by this member. It sure looks to me the Rams had a boatload of OT's lurking. The last sentence caught my eye also.....about the Rams might be needier at the end of pre season @ LB'er or WR? There is no other unit that has had as many injuries as the OL unit. Fisher usually keeps 6 Lb'ers but only starts 2 ???? Our new OC primarily lines up 3 TE's in his offense. Just saying.........:whistle:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like a bunch, I don't see Williams in a battle with Battle...I see Williams kicking Andrew Donnal off the 53 man roster...Battle....from his college tape, will be ON the 53...
Perhaps Donnal can make the PS....

Williams was an excellent find. Dude was a 3-4 year starter at SFU....or CFU....some smaller Florida school...and the dude can obviously play...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hard to predict with so few snaps last season, although Williams did make the most of them in my opinion. I actually have him before Battle on the depth chart at the moment. Williams seemingly could prove to be that uncommon find who lands himself as our # 3 OT this season, or he may show to be no more than a one-hit wonder lost among a crowded field. Right now my money is on the former. I kinda see Doug Worthington as his equivalent on the opposite line, could become Brockers big rotational go-to guy or just become another guy among several vying for position. jmo.

Ram65

Legend
Let's see how much they improved since last year. The more positions a offensive lineman can play well the better chance of making the roster. Lot's of competition before decisions. Let's hope the injury bug stays away too.