Rams Roster Preview: Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Roster Preview: Michael Sam

By Douglas M

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7/20/5920527/rams-roster-preview-michael-sam

The media has given it their best hype to the Rams drafting Michael Sam in the 7th round of the 2014 NFL Draft. The "first openly gay player in the NFL" mantra has caused attention to be focused on Sam the" barrier breaker", and not the fact he's a pretty talented player, being named Co-Defensive Player of the Year in the SEC for 2013. I couldn't care less what anyone does in their private lives, and everyone has the right to live life as they want. But this is the NFL we're talking about here, so let's slide away from the side issue to what's important this time of year: Can Michael Sam make the St. Louis Rams roster?

Roster Battle

A "tweener" at best as far as his size: 6'2"/262 lbs. A great first step got him a chance to make an NFL roster, but with the Rams stacked high at defensive end, I'm not sure if it will be enough? Seen by many - including myself - as a better fit in a 3-4 defensive scheme, he may be used in some of the exotic schemes new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams can come up with this year. But how do the Rams rationalize keeping so many defensive ends on the 53 man roster? What's more, the 17 reps he posted in the 225 lbs bench press at the NFL Combine speaks volumes as to just how prepared Sam could be by the time the season begins. While 2013 draft pick Brent Jones has spent the last year gaining strength, it's hard to see why the Rams would keep another developmental player around for a position teaming with other choices.

If anything, Michael Sam could be an asset on special teams, especially if Ray Ray Armstrong transitions more to a rotational role at outside linebacker. Still, it seems like a long shot Sam will make the opening day roster for the Rams. Instead, I think he'll be cut and snapped up by teams like the Ravens, 49ers or Steelers, who are thin at pass rushing OLB. Make no mistake, the opportunity the Rams have given Michael Sam to get into training camp, and learn NFL basics, is going to be priceless as he moves forward in his career.

While 2013 draft pick Brent Jones has spent the last year gaining strength

Is he another DE fighting for one of the spots?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Name problems aside, I agree with the basic premise. He'll have to be great in TC to make the team. 20% chance.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If Dunbar get's suspended, let Sam keep his spot warm on the roster. Ray Ray will start, and Sam will watch. Then decide what to do about Dunbar whent the suspension is done. Personally, I don't even want the guy on the team anymore. Get's in too many headlines, for the wrong reasons.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd like to see Sam play well enough to win a roster spot. But I'd also like to see Westbrooks prove to be something special.

I'm rooting for all our players, and every one is a potential HOF in my mind until they get cut.