Rams roster preview: Can TE Romello Brooker crack the roster?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ngeles-rams-roster-preview-te-romello-brooker

2019 Los Angeles Rams roster preview:
Can TE Romello Brooker crack the roster?

Could the former Houston Cougar make himself known over the next two months?
By EddieP

usa_today_11889379.0.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams swooped up undrafted free agent Houston Cougars tight end Romello Brooker after the conclusion of the 2019 NFL Draft. He was one of three undrafted TEs brought in to round out the bottom of the TE positional depth, so Brooker will have his work cut out to make the roster.

Roster Battle
The 6-5, 253-pound former basketball player did not put up stand out statistics in Houston, only hauling in 42 passes for 464 yards and eight touchdowns in his Cougars career. Brooker was mostly a reserve TE throughout his time in Houston — redshirted his freshman year (2014), special teamer (2015), pulled in his first TD in ‘16, appeared in 10 games in ‘17. The 2018 season was Brooker’s coming out party as he raked in 33 receptions for 409 yards and seven TDs (over 79% of his catches, 88% of his yards, and 88% of his scores).

So, we have a tight end that bloomed late and did not produce in college. Romello fits the mold of athletic TEs that Head Coach Sean McVay & Co. tend to be fond of.

As mentioned above, Brooker is one of three UDFA TEs the Rams added to the roster. The other undrafted rookie TEs — Kendall Blanton (Missouri) and Keenan Brown (Texas State) — also fit the prototypical McVay TE: tall and athletic, so it will be very interesting to see which TE rounds out the bottom of the chart. All of which are contending with second year player Johnny Mundt for the third TE spot.

Expectations
There is not much to expect from an undrafted cat. The most we can hope for is Brooker making the roster battle a tough competition.

Chances of Making the Roster (2/10)
As far as his chances of remaining on the roster, they are slim. The Rams only carried three TEs in 2018 and the top two slots are already shored up with Gerald Everett and Tyler Higbee.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes. IF he can demonstrate a willingness to block and improve in his blocking through camp and preseason. That is going to be a requirement, along with some teams performance, in winning that third TE slot.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most likely, if he still has a job after training camp, it will be on the practice squad. Two of the likely 3 TE spots on the 53 man roster are locked up. He is intriguing, but appears to be a guy who improves steadily. He needs to take a leap forward to be 53 man roster ready.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I also wouldn’t sleep on Keenan Brown. He’s been known for his blocking in college, but he does have some decent pass catching skills too. You might say he’s the opposite of Romello Brooker, who’s known for his pass catching skills, but does have some decent blocking skills too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I also wouldn’t sleep on Keenan Brown.

Actually, I like all three of the UDRFA Tight Ends the Rams brought in with Booker, Brown & Mizzou alum Kendall Blanton who is the biggest of the three. Blanton at 6'6 262lbs also a fine blocker so there should be some great competition under new TE Coach Wes Phillips.

Incumbent Johnny Mundt known for his special teams play and ability to block as well, so worst case I expect one of the Killer B's to be kept on the practice squad, but I'm really hoping one of them distinguish themselves in preseason and offer some upside come September.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think I will trust his Pro Day stats and measurables. They listed him at 6'3" (did he grow 2" since then? or is he 6'5" height in cleats?), but regardless he has 33" arms which gives him a very nice catch radius. But running only a 4.85 is slow for a TE. This suggests he would be more of a blocking TE? But his strength doesn't appear to be up to par for that either. Right now I see him as camp fodder. But if he has the drive to make a place for himself on ST's then perhaps that's his role.

The Rams are two deep at TE with Everrett and Higbee already and with their depth at WR they can run their offense with no TE who really is just a Y receiver and blocker in this offense.

oldnotdead

Legend
Brooker has nice length (height & arm length) but in McVay's offense TE's need to be receivers. It's one thing to be a slow TE in college and simply out muscle guys for the ball. It's a whole different story at this level. He's not going to get open as the average LB is still can out run him. IMO he would have to be an outstanding run blocking TE to make the roster. He looks like your average camp fodder.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kendall Blanton is still my favorite to make the roster. He may have run a 4.95, but he was mainly used as a blacker at Mizzou in deference to Albert Okwuegbunam, which he excelled at. And he's solid at making the tough catches.

oldnotdead

Legend
My dark horse is still Alex Bachman. He's around 5'11+", but runs in the legit 4.4 range. He has good agility as evidenced by his 3 cone times. He's more likely a PS candidate but if he plays ST's well he could make the roster with his speed and agility.