Rams rookie tight end Gerald Everett isn't shy about his expectations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Rams rookie tight end Gerald Everett isn't shy about his expectations
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-rams-training-camp-gerald-everett-tight-ends-20170727-story.html

upload_2017-7-30_18-52-34.png

Rams coach Sean McVay appreciated his rookie’s confidence but thought it would be best if Gerald Everett saved his predictions until after he played in at least one NFL game.

On Thursday, a day after Everett said that he and Tyler Higbee “could be better than the Redskins’ tight ends,” McVay, the Washington Redskins’ offensive coordinator the last three seasons, touted Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis.

“When you talk about those types of players, those guys are the standard for the position,” McVay said at UC Irvine, where the Rams host training camp. “And you haven’t even played a preseason snap yet, my man.”

Reed caught 203 passes, 17 for touchdowns, the last three seasons. Davis caught 44 passes last season, two for touchdowns.

“We’re very confident in Gerald and I can appreciate his confidence,” McVay said of Everett. “But let me tell you this, if they are better than those guys, we’ll be in good shape this year.”

The Rams, 4-12 last season, selected Everett in the second round of the NFL draft.

He joins a tight end corps that includes veteran Cory Harkey, who has played mostly fullback, and second-year pros Tyler Higbee and Temarrick Hemingway.

Higbee was listed as the projected starter on the initial depth chart. Everett, 6 feet 3 and 245 pounds, was mentioned as a key contributor.

“Tyler and I are going to compliment each other,” Everett said. “We are going to be dynamic.”

Higbee caught caught 11 passes last season, one for a touchdown.

“Tyler definitely had a great offseason,” McVay said. “We’ll continue to see if Gerald can progress.”

Everett caught 90 passes in two seasons at South Alabama, 12 for touchdowns.

Veteran players are due to report to camp Friday. Practices begin Saturday.

Ram65

Legend
On Thursday, a day after Everett said that he and Tyler Higbee “could be better than the Redskins’ tight ends,” McVay, the Washington Redskins’ offensive coordinator the last three seasons, touted Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis.

“When you talk about those types of players, those guys are the standard for the position,” McVay said at UC Irvine, where the Rams host training camp. “And you haven’t even played a preseason snap yet, my man.”

“Tyler definitely had a great offseason,” McVay said. “We’ll continue to see if Gerald can progress.”

These two could be the difference makers this year. Two athletic big TEs in the passing game will be a welcome change for the Rams. Everett should let his play to the talking first. Certainly the Rams can use a little more attitude/confidence on offense. Eventually these two could be better than the Skins combo. Staying healthy will help. I'm looking forward to see both of them play and Hemingway too. Higbee has been mentioned by McVay numerous times. McVay always seems to hold back when speaking of Everett. Im think he pushes Everett more than most because he sees Everett's great potential.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tyler's the guy who needs to produce now. He'd better have a strong camp and strong preseason too. If not, it might get rough as they try to get production out of a rookie or second year guy Hemingway who is probably going to need another year. IMO it's crucial that Higbee works his butt off and shows he can execute this scheme.

And then of course you have the injury risk potential, where Tyler tended to get dinged up. So even though I have very high hopes for him, I'm a little concerned.

I view Everett as more of a end of the year production option at the earliest, and that's if he's a quick study and works hard. Oh and btw I still love the confidence lol. Having that kind of 'tude is good for a rook TE.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
I like how McVay humbly checks Gerald's comments. As young and energetic and excited about his players as he is, he doesnt lose grasp of reality. That being said, i wont put too much on Everett. I think Higbee steps it up and Harky proves he can be a key contributer, leaving plenty of opportunity for Everett to show what he can do.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It sorta sounds like Higbee has progressed as a player from last year, excited to hear more about him from TC and preseason.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Young quarterbacks do tend to lean on their tight ends. Hopefully these two can give Goff that kind of confidence.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Everett definitely got carried away with that famous quote.

However...

It is also true that he's been impressing early on in camp.

McVay knows how to teach and motivate this kid. I think Everett will prove to be a tremendous pick at #44.