Ram’s rookie S Jordan Fuller deserves pre-camp buzz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Ram’s rookie S Jordan Fuller deserves pre-camp buzz

The LA Rams had a very good outcome from the 2020 NFL Draft at first appearances. After all, the team entered with a significantly long shopping list of needs for the offense, defense, and special teams. As the team prepared to enter the draft at the end of the 2019 season, questions persisted as to whether the team would even have enough picks to find rookies who could positively impact the team in 2020.

The Rams did get a bit of good news when the team was able to exchange WR Brandin Cooks and a 2022 fourth-round pick for the Texans 2020 second-round pick. The team also discovered that the team was awarded a valuable third-round compensatory draft pick in the 2020 NFL Draft thanks to the contract signed by 2019 free agent left guard Rodger Saffold. Those additional picks allowed the Rams to fill offensive needs in round two, and defensive needs in round three.

Freestyle

That allowed the Rams to go “free-style” in the NFL Draft in later rounds, where the team truly focused upon the best player available on the draft board. It was only after the team addressed their immediate and urgent roster needs that the team was free to find valuable and undervalued talent. While the Rams made a case for drafting players whose talents exceeded their drafted selection, the Rams truly hit gold with their 199th pick of the 2020 NFL Draft.

It was in round six at that 199th spot that the LA Rams found Ohio State Buckeyes’ safety Jordan Fuller. Despite contributing to the excellent Buckeyes’ football program for four seasons, he was overlooked by many teams as a player who simply contributed well for an excellent football program. Many teams either had needs elsewhere or were enamored with the talent and depth of other positions available in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Fuller was on the Rams radar

If you were not aware of Jordan Fuller’s potential as a rookie for the LA Rams prior to his selection by the Rams, you weren’t reading our articles very closely. Fuller stood out in videos, in draft profiles, and in draft projections as a solid addition to the Rams roster. We had featured the Ohio State starting safety in several pre-draft articles and pointed out that he was a solid fit for the type of player the Rams needed to select in the draft.

He first appeared in an article featuring Big-Ten players attending the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine. In that article, he was an ideal LA Rams option to fill the roster vacancy of retired safety Eric Weddle. The 6-foot-2 205-pound defensive back was an ideal prospect for the LA Rams roster, as Fuller had experience at both safety and cornerback, competed at the highest level of NCAA football for four seasons, was a starter and team captain with a very successful football program, and had the ability to play the position at a very high level in the NFL.

Mock Draft 3.1

Fuller also appeared in the Ramblin Fan Mock Draft 3.1. In that article, Larry Brake mocked him to the LA Rams in round four. In that mock, Brake pointed to his 4.67-second 40-yard time, as well as his 35.5-inch vertical jump as key indications that Fuller would be able to remain close with receivers and leap high enough to deflect and even intercept passes thrown his way. Will that be enough to ensure he has a great NFL career? Perhaps not, but it’s certainly a good place to start from.

In both articles, the retirement of veteran safety and starter Eric Weddle opened the door for the Rams to draft Fuller. And Fuller’s talent and performance at Ohio State made him an undeniable candidate to take over for Weddle. That point is even more emphasized now that the Rams face the challenge of re-signing safety John Johnson while attempting to re-sign cornerback Jalen Ramsey, wide receivers Josh Reynolds and Cooper Kupp, and tight end Gerald Everett. Fuller gives the Rams a “plan B” option if the team is unsuccessful at retaining Johnson beyond 2020.

Round four value, but round six bargain

By all accounts, Jordan Fuller was good, far better than where the Rams found him in round six. He was one of the players added by the Rams who filled a future need, but also adds that hint of flexibility to the Rams defense which suddenly emphasizes versatility and flexibility. In Fuller, the Rams landed one of the best coverage safeties in the draft.

Don’t take my word for it, but you should respect the opinion of Pro Football Focus College analysis:

The best rate among college safeties, drafted in round six? Whodda thunk?

Worker bee work ethic

The other downside risk was picking a young man who had already known his share of success at the college level and would be content enough with that experience to ease up a bit on training for an NFL role. He’s a young man on a mission to succeed in the NFL. That includes a workout regiment that rivals that of NFL veterans

And so, the young man pushes himself to the limit now so that his limit will be more than enough when the team decides who makes this roster.

There are no guarantees of earning a roster spot if you hear your name called on day three of the NFL Draft, and Fuller is not about to leave his NFL career to random chance. That means good things for the LA Rams defense this year, and well into the future. After all, the Ohio State Buckeyes and the LA Rams have this similarity on defense: both enjoy very successful football programs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I found it interesting that DC Brandon Staley spoke about conversing with former Ohio State Co-Defensive Coordinator and now Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley about Fuller. IMO, Hafley is a coach on the rise and Staley stated Hafley raved about Fuller always making the right plays being in position at all times plus a great leader as Fuller was a two time captain.

Everyone knows I watch every Ohio State game and Fuller was the type of player that seem to overachieved, but rarely do I recall him being beaten and rarely missing a tackle. 4.6 speed is why he was drafted in the 6th round and I expect a year of adjustment, however, going forward Fuller could offer quite a bit in Staley's scheme and I'm anxious to see how the kid handles himself at the next level.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everyone knows I watch every Ohio State game and Fuller was the type of player that seem to overachieved, but rarely do I recall him being beaten and rarely missing a tackle. 4.6 speed is why he was drafted in the 6th round and I expect a year of adjustment, however, going forward Fuller could offer quite a bit in Staley's scheme and I'm anxious to see how the kid handles himself at the next level.
Yeah there's something to be said for guys who just go out there and get 'er done in the scheme. The ones you can overlook because the ball isn't going their way due to them being in the right spot. The best teams are built on guys like that.

I felt like our zone play was terrible last season. It's hard to know with secondaries with complete accuracy since we don't know the calls (or assignments of responsibility), but overall our defense wasn't too good at zoning it up. But it's pretty clear that our new DC felt he needed a reload to an extent at safety and we saw that with the addition of two scheme fits.

My hope is that Long wins the nickel job. Why? Because then Burgess gets thrown into the safety room to improve the competition. Rapp will start of course, and JJ too assuming he has no injury still plaguing him, but the competition will sharpen both those guys and allow the Rams to bid JJ farewell after the season.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
We shall see. A ton of talent on OSU, sometimes that makes a player like Fuller look better than he is. His slow 40 time and mediocre vertical jump have to be concerns.

Same can be said for Akers only in reverse he had a bad OL but still produced which says he may excel in the NFL.

Ram65

Legend
I like the speed of Burgess at FS with his 4.46 time compared to Fuller's 4.67. He not afraid to tackle either. Staley has already indicated that Burgess will be used at safety first but, did say he can be moved around. Going from what I read Fuller is limited athletically thus he lasted till the 6th round. If he becomes a core special teamer he will be worth the pick. It would be great if he was able to be a solid backup.

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I found it interesting that DC Brandon Staley spoke about conversing with former Ohio State Co-Defensive Coordinator and now Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley about Fuller. IMO, Hafley is a coach on the rise and Staley stated Hafley raved about Fuller always making the right plays being in position at all times plus a great leader as Fuller was a two time captain.

Not to say that speed is entirely overrated, but making fast, accurate reads matters just as much. So does tackling. Fuller reminds me of James Laurinaitis, another Ohio State guy with a great college career who went on to make a lot of tackles for the Rams. Let's hope Fuller can do the same.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not to say that speed is entirely overrated, but making fast, accurate reads matters just as much. So does tackling. Fuller reminds me of James Laurinaitis, another Ohio State guy with a great college career who went on to make a lot of tackles for the Rams. Let's hope Fuller can do the same.

Not sure about the comparison, but get where your coming from.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like the speed of Burgess at FS with his 4.46 time compared to Fuller's 4.67. He not afraid to tackle either. Staley has already indicated that Burgess will be used at safety first but, did say he can be moved around. Going from what I read Fuller is limited athletically thus he lasted till the 6th round. If he becomes a core special teamer he will be worth the pick. It would be great if he was able to be a solid backup.

Staley is talking him up. I can see him being The Rams FS in another season ??
Burgess not a true FS. I think he will be used like Chrisstian last season. Maybe even split some of the Robey Coleman reps

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I remember when they drafted him Kiper saying he was the one guy who wasn't a stand out and who's play was only productive due to the talent around him.

I thought that was weird. He's a starting safety for one of the premier college football teams in america. And played well by all accounts. No one is expecting Okuda type talent. But damn. He has to be decent at least. I think his or Burgess is going to be taking over for Johnson when they either trade him this year or let him walk in FA. We can't afford to spend on him imo. Not while trying to keep Kupp and Ramsey.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Not sure about the comparison, but get where your coming from.

Just as another great Ohio State guy who was a bit on the slow side but was a leader of one of the top college defenses in the country and brought a lot of smarts and good tackling to the Rams. Fuller also brings a track record of success and defensive leadership from a great OSU squad. Hoping those qualities now also translate to success with the Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just as another great Ohio State guy who was a bit on the slow side but was a leader of one of the top college defenses in the country and brought a lot of smarts and good tackling to the Rams. Fuller also brings a track record of success and defensive leadership from a great OSU squad. Hoping those qualities now also translate to success with the Rams.

Well then Fuller was a total STEAL!!

A 6th rd guy vs early 2nd rd guy who was there Top Defensive player.

3 other DB’s were drafted ahead of him. Maybe Bobby Carpenter fits that thinking better ??

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What would Woody Hayes say? Is he good enough to punch?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah there's something to be said for guys who just go out there and get 'er done in the scheme. The ones you can overlook because the ball isn't going their way due to them being in the right spot. The best teams are built on guys like that.

I felt like our zone play was terrible last season. It's hard to know with secondaries with complete accuracy since we don't know the calls (or assignments of responsibility), but overall our defense wasn't too good at zoning it up. But it's pretty clear that our new DC felt he needed a reload to an extent at safety and we saw that with the addition of two scheme fits.

My hope is that Long wins the nickel job. Why? Because then Burgess gets thrown into the safety room to improve the competition. Rapp will start of course, and JJ too assuming he has no injury still plaguing him, but the competition will sharpen both those guys and allow the Rams to bid JJ farewell after the season.

Will see about JJ ?? His mentorship he learned from Weedle should show up in 2020. Like I’ve said before I don‘t know what your take was in 2017 with the O”Line.
What I see is a lot of similarities in 2020 draft. I think The Rams are in a good position to receive Additional Comp picks because of the 2017 draft. I consider this a win-win which in the past.
I like the depth The Rams have built,but curious on what happens to D.Williams & Troy Hill ?? David Long has to be ready to compete.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wouldn't get too excited about Fuller. I'm sure he's a good guy but college players that just get the job done but aren't play makers seldom shine in the NFL. He's limited physically and at his position there's a logjam of talent this season. He may latch on as a back up but could get bumped in favor of a more athletic player. I don't think he'll be starting over Burgess, JJ, nor Rapp. He reminds me of a Troy Reeder type. If he had to start he'd be serviceable, but we'd be hoping the starters would get back real soon.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
199...ah, the old Brady spot...here's hoping he turns into Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
199...ah, the old Brady spot...here's hoping he turns into Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu....

Was Brady’s last game Carr’s ?? He wasn’t even the full time starter.He did beat Bama in a Bowl(Cotton?) game though.

Ed & Troy both cameout a Year Early ??

Just wondering the comparisons.I think USC LBers JL55 is a more realistic take on a Top College team & a Postion of talent. Rey Malagua is more like Fuller in that regard except he was still a 2nd rd pick behind JL55 by The Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Like I quoted in new post above. Rey Malaluga is a better comparison than JL55 & Bobby Carpenter even more so because of where he was drafted & talent level.
Rodney Mcloud is a prime example of Les Snead finding players. He has done really well at the safety spot. I think Jeff Fisher was the guy who liked the Safety who clean the St.Louis Dome from Utah St. ??

Mcvay started him in 2017 & then out of no where he was cut ??? Don’t want to look him up. EJ from Mizzu was the better draft pick in that draft. Was my sleep pick & glad The Rams drafted him. Then Jeff Fisher went all All Mizzu following that pick on a All SEC pass rusher.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Ants

Starter

This is the way I see it also.
I saw an interview where one of the Rams coaches was really geeked-up that the Rams were able to draft Fuller.
I don't see it. Perhaps his game speed is a bit faster than his combine time?
Still, I'll hope for the best.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter