Rams rookie OL pass first preseason test/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookie OL pass first preseason test
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1574669-rams-rookie-ol-pass-first-preseason-test

As expected, the St. Louis Rams had two rookie offensive linemen in the starting lineup for their preseason opener against the Oakland Raiders on Friday night.
Rob Havenstein, a second-round pick from Wisconsin, started at right tackle. Next to him, at right guard, was Jamon Brown, the Rams’ third-round pick from Louisville.

The starting offensive group only played two series, leading to the only points the Rams’ scored in an 18-3 loss, but the rookies fared well.

“We had fewer problems with the starters than we did with the guys that played in the second half,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher told reporters. “We had fewer penalties and such. The thing that you have to do is compare who they are playing against, so we’ll look at that real closely. But I thought the right side of our line, the rookies, probably did a pretty good job.”

New Rams quarterback Nick Foles liked what he saw from Havenstein and Brown in their first preseason action.

“I thought they did a great job,” he told reporters. “I thought we moved the ball well when they were in. They’ve come a long ways from when they first got here. When they’re in the huddle, you see in their eyes that they are ready to go.

“I remember my rookie year. You get a little bit of jitters. But they did a good job of going in. We executed the run game, we got some throws out there, a couple screens. It was good stuff by them, but we have a ways to go and we’ll keep working at it.”

The Rams moved the ball well on their first series, which led to the Greg Zuerlein field goal, but then struggled on the second series. The two rookies, however, held up just fine against the Raiders’ first defensive unit, which includes left defensive end Justin Tuck and defensive tackle Justin Ellis.

It is a small sample size, of course, but a good first start for Havenstein and Brown, who will need to be solid this season for the Rams to be able to move the football.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Pleasantly surprised with Havenstein/Brown, although Robinson/Battle looked a little shaky at times at LT. Plenty of time to get them straight. Gotta work on those penalties. Hope we find a solid #2 behind Saffold at LG should he miss time.

I didn't have any good angles on Barrett Jones, any word on how he looked out there ?

Todd59

Rookie
Isaiah Battle was one I wanted to watch, and it is very easy to see the potential there. However, the waist bending that was a big knock on him at draft time was pretty obvious at times, and he seemed to have trouble anchoring and pass rushers. But I'm sure that a year in an NFL weight room, with some solid NFL coaching, he could be the real deal before too long.

fearsomefour

Legend
Pleasantly surprised with Havenstein/Brown, although Robinson/Battle looked a little shaky at times at LT. Plenty of time to get them straight. Gotta work on those penalties. Hope we find a solid #2 behind Saffold at LG should he miss time.

I didn't have any good angles on Barrett Jones, any word on how he looked out there ?
Jones was not good.
Routinely beaten on running plays, was solid in the passing game.
Barnes out played him.