Rams Rookie FA WR Bradley Marquez has a nifty backup plan: Baseball

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookie free agent WR Marquez has a nifty backup plan: Baseball
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...rquez-has-a-nifty-backup-plan-baseball-051315

Wide receiver Bradley Marquez is prepared to do whatever it takes to carve out a spot with the St. Louis Rams this season after signing as a rookie free agent following the NFL Draft. Should a stint in the NFL not work out, though, his potential backup plan is pretty cool: playing professional baseball.

The 22-year-old Marquez, who played college football at Texas Tech, is an outfielder in the New York Mets organization, carrying a .254 batting average over 36 career games with their rookie league affiliate, the Kingsport Mets in the Appalachian League. But last year, after spending the summers of 2012 and 2013 with the organization, Marquez decided to go all-in pursuing football.

"Just the opportunity that it brought, finishing my college career," he explains. "I was able, potentially, to play at the highest level. And that's been a goal of my entire life: just to play at the highest level, compete at the highest level of whatever sport it may be, and football presented that opportunity as of now. I just got to make the most of it now. Whereas baseball, I'm still a few years out, you work your way through the minor league system."

His decision to chase the NFL rather than fastballs makes sense in the context of his hometown of Odessa, Texas -- in the heart of football country. Marquez attended Odessa High School, whose rival, Permian, inspired the Friday Night Lights book, film and TV series. At Texas Tech, the 5-foot-11, 201-pound Marquez had 10 receiving touchdowns last year. He was considered a decent pro prospect, though it was not a huge surprise when he went undrafted.

"Maybe thought I could get in there in the later rounds," he says, admitting to "a little bit of disappointment" at not getting drafted.

Not that he had long to worry about it. Within 30 minutes of the end of the draft, he estimates, he signed with the Rams, and a few other teams were talking to him at that point as well.

"It just felt right," he says. "Just looking at it, top to bottom -- organization, opportunity."

Meanwhile, he's still under contract with the Mets, with whom he signed a seven-year deal in 2011. The Mets can release him from the contract, but Marquez says they've stuck by him despite his interest in football.

"They've been supportive," he says. "They just kind of want to see how everything shakes out."

Just don't expect him to be taking batting practice with the St. Louis Cardinals anytime soon.

"I don't know how the Mets organization would like that," he says.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
Awesome, we're from the same hometown and high school. I'll be rooting for him, would be pretty cool if he made the team!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' Marquez is giving football his best shot
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c0caeb18-30eb-524c-ba45-e1730e35579c.html

Baseball or football? It is a debate that has dominated the life of Rams wide receiver Bradley Marquez over the last few years.

“Right now, I’m 100 percent focused on football and on doing what I can to make this team,” the undrafted rookie free agent said following a workout over the weekend at Rams Park. “Growing up, I basically went from one sport to the other as the seasons changed. I loved the challenge that each sport provided and really enjoyed the competition.

“Over the years, I’ve had plenty of people tell me I should go one direction or the other, but the people who really matter, my family, have always been great about supporting the choices I’ve made.”

Marquez, 22, has shown plenty of promise in both sports. A record-setting running back at Odessa High in Texas, he earned a football scholarship to Texas Tech University and was good enough in baseball to be drafted by the New York Mets in the 16th round of the 2011 draft.

He signed with the Mets after working out a deal that allowed him to continue playing football as well. The 5-foot-10, 196-pound outfielder spent the summers of 2012 and 2013 playing rookie-level ball with the Kingsport Mets of the Appalachian League.

Limited to just nine games by a quadriceps injury in 2011, he batted .267 with a double, a triple, a steal and two RBIs. The following summer, coming off a football knee injury that limited his sophomore season to just six games, Marquez played in 27 games and hit .250 with five doubles, three steals, a homer and nine RBIs.

But in 2013, he elected to step away from baseball and put his full effort in preparing for his senior football season with the Red Raiders. With that decision, he also forfeited $250,000 of his $325,000 signing bonus with the Mets.

“I didn’t fulfill my obligation, so I wasn’t entitled to the money,” he said. “It wasn’t an easy decision because I enjoy both sports and because I’ve been playing both for so long. But at a certain point, I knew I had to make a choice. I had to put my all into something and go full throttle, just to give myself a chance to reach my potential.

“My goal from the start was to compete at the highest possible level, and I’m excited about the possibilities here with the Rams.”

And baseball?

“Technically, I’m still under contract,” he said. “The Mets could’ve released me, but they’ve been supportive of my decision. I guess they’re willing to wait and see how thing play out. For me, though, the complete focus is on football.”

At Texas Tech, Marquez made the transition from running back to receiver and made an immediate impact in Lubbock. He caught 25 passes for 240 yards as a freshman and had 16 catches for 172 yards before a knee injury cut short his sophomore campaign.

Marquez caught 49 passes for 633 yards and six touchdowns as a junior and followed up with 65 catches for 821 yards and 10 scores last fall.

“I’m a guy who’s going to work hard and do whatever the coaches ask me to do,” he said. “I can play inside or outside and I have experience on special teams, too. I’m excited to be here, to learn the playbook and show the coaches what I can do.”

Another benefit to bypassing baseball for Marquez was the degree in exercise and sports science he received from Texas Tech.

“That’s something that means a lot to me, my mom and my whole family,” he said. “If nothing else, it means I’ll be able to stay involved in sports. That’s important to me, obviously, because sports have always been such a big part of my life.”

Marquez said he was “a little disappointed” about not being drafted.

“I’d heard I might be a late-round choice — I think everybody wants to hear their name called — but I believe things like this happen for a reason,” he said. “The Rams showed interest in me early in the draft process and, after going over some things with my agent, I ended up signing within probably 20 minutes of the draft wrapping up. I just felt like St. Louis would be a good fit for me.”

ROSTER MOVE

Earlier this week, the Rams waived defensive end/tight end Mason Brodine and added center David Wang, an undrafted rookie free agent out of Virginia Tech.

Wang (6-2, 308) made 36 starts at center and guard over the last three seasons with the Hokies.

Brodine, who spent the majority of his time with the Rams on the practice squad, missed the 2014 campaign with a fractured ankle suffered early in the preseason.