Rams request interview with Cleveland oc john defilippo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Looks like Foles has two years left on his contract. Rams can cut him in 2017 with only a 1MM dead money cap hit. They are on the hook this year 2016 for 8.75MM Cap Hit and 8MM dead money if released.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/nick-foles/

YEAR AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS CAP HIT DEAD CAP
rams2.png
25 $1,022,000 $1,000,000 $2,000,000 $20,000 $4,042,000 $7,792,000
rams2.png
26 $1,750,000 $1,000,000 $6,000,000 - $8,750,000 $8,000,000
rams2.png
27 $10,750
,000 $1,000,000 $1,500,000 - $13,250,000 $1,000,000
rams2.png
28 UFA

You never know but I did think any team would take Foles with that contract.

What on earth were they thinking giving him that contract.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

It was stupid, no doubt. But I will add that I still felt Foles was a better option than Keenum to run this offense behind a strong play action attack. He's now a longshot to stick on the roster but you never know if/when a new OC comes in.

QBs are weird man. Get the right one paired with the right guy coordinating and the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts. If DeFelippo were to get the gig, for example, it might be Foles or even Mannion that he decides he can really maximize in his attack.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It was stupid, no doubt. But I will add that I still felt Foles was a better option than Keenum to run this offense behind a strong play action attack. He's now a longshot to stick on the roster but you never know if/when a new OC comes in.

QBs are weird man. Get the right one paired with the right guy coordinating and the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts. If DeFelippo were to get the gig, for example, it might be Foles or even Mannion that he decides he can really maximize in his attack.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I guess at least you've got the guy on the roster for your new OC to take a look at. Give him the option to say "I can work with this guy" or "we need someone else" to play his system.

Ram65

Legend

Made sense to not be a one a done contract. If Foles had been very good then Rams would have to pay him big money. As others have stated the Rams hedged their bet and lost a little cap next year. OK 8 MM isn't a little but won't really hurt. Interesting to see what Bradford gets in free agency. Not to start a big debate on SB/NF but it's part of the deal as is the Rams getting Eagles 2nd rounder in 2016.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doh must've taken a wrong turn, I thought I was in the DeFellippo thread.

The whiners interviewed him as part of the Kelly interview. Seems Kelly wants him as his oc.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

They obviously saw something in him in camp, and in his leadership they liked. It sure looks foolish in retrospect. But after the First Arizona game they sure looked wise. Sigh.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
BTW if McCown checks out medically I would entertain a trade for Foles. Foles might make more money, but only has one year left on his contract McCown has 2 years. Hire DeFilippo trade Foles for McCown and then draft Carson Wentz. WTH? It's January and once again no post season so to pontificate is all we have as Ram fans have right now.

Sign me up!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doh must've taken a wrong turn, I thought I was in the DeFellippo thread.

The whiners interviewed him as part of the Kelly interview. Seems Kelly wants him as his oc.

I'd take the Rams job long before I took the job with Kelly. With the Rams, he'll get all the credit for the offense. Under Kelly, he won't get any autonomy or credit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
BTW if McCown checks out medically I would entertain a trade for Foles. Foles might make more money, but only has one year left on his contract McCown has 2 years. Hire DeFilippo trade Foles for McCown and then draft Carson Wentz. WTH? It's January and once again no post season so to pontificate is all we have as Ram fans have right now.

I wondered about the same thing. Cleveland will be starting their first round QB, most likely. Would McCown be a big improvement over Keenum, or could Keenum also flourish under DeFellipo

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wondered about the same thing. Cleveland will be starting their first round QB, most likely. Would McCown be a big improvement over Keenum, or could Keenum also flourish under DeFellipo

I don't have faith in Keenum because I think he's limited with some of his throws...At times the ball flutters and I would be concerned from that perspective. I'm hoping the Rams go in another direction and draft a Quarterback as well just feel Keenum is not the guy, IMHO.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Honestly, I just can't see any coach or player coming to St. Lou without the Rams having to overpay / blackmail them. It must be one of if not the most undesirable organizations in the league at this point.

jap

Legend
Honestly, I just can't see any coach or player coming to St. Lou without the Rams having to overpay / blackmail them. It must be one of if not the most undesirable organizations in the league at this point.

That is all up to Fish. One could say the same things about coming to the 1999 with super intense Dick Vermeil as the ramrod. However, Fish was coerced into lightening up with a young bright offensive mind (Mad Mike Martz) as well as securing key acquisitions (Marshall Faulk, Adam Timmermann).

Fish needs to find his 'Mad Mike.' He drafted his 'Marshall Faulk' and 'Adam Timmermann' last year. An open-minded Fish makes the Horns a super attractive organization. As I stated before, desperation can create strange bedfellows.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
^^^ True, but there also wasn't a possible move looming over the franchise at that time.

jap

Legend
^^^ True, but there also wasn't a possible move looming over the franchise at that time.

The possibly impending move is a consideration, but that would probably be outweighed by the possibility of joining a franchise with a really bright future if the QB/WR issues are fixed. Fish has overseen a successful franchise move before so things should not be excessively chaotic if it comes to that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Fisher seems like a good guy and his coaches really seem to like and stand behind him. The team has a very good roster and doesn't need a juggernaut on offense to succeed. They just need an OF, QB, and a receiver or two. A possible move to LA shouldnt be a big deal. A new assistant will find out soon enough. It isn't as if he would buy a house in St Louis and have to sell it right away. This is not the team that Spags and Devanney took over. This team is close.

MountainRam

Rookie
Fisher fired 5 coordinators and 5 more assistants in 4 years. That's 9 coaches.

There is no QB. And no #1 WR.

Plus Fisher has one year contract. Plus Rams situation (with the move) is very unsettled. This is not an attractive job. But nonetheless, I hope they get a good offensive coordinator as I am tired of losing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fisher fired 5 coordinators and 5 more assistants in 4 years. That's 9 coaches.

There is no QB. And no #1 WR.

Plus Fisher has one year contract. Plus Rams situation (with the move) is very unsettled. This is not an attractive job. But nonetheless, I hope they get a good offensive coordinator as I am tired of losing.

I think fans overplay job attractiveness. There are only so many of these jobs. The Rams do have Fisher in his fifth year, however if the OC does a good job that could mean he takes over as head coach. The OC who comes in here has a young and talented OL, a rare talent at RB who can do everything, and a defense that keeps his unit in games.

If I interview with Fish I just want to hear 2 things: he is planning on drafting a QB, and he is dedicated to upgrading WR. At WR I'd like to hear that he is open to signing a FA to ensure experience is there opposite Tavon, and I'd also want one WR drafted who can run an effin route tree and who has good hands. That is not hard to accomplish, and it is not a stretch that Fish himself wants those things.

MountainRam

Rookie
Is there a website to check on the number of 5 and 7 step drop passes thrown per game? Just interested to see how the OL held up on those passes. Thank you.

Didn't intend to side track this thread and also didn't feel the need to create another thread for the same .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard that 4 Browns coaches were told if they wanted to stay on for the soon to be named new coach they were welcome to. One was Defilippo also the QB coach. And 2 DB coaches.