Rams Report: How they look with free agents gone, draft ahead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I want to know what Jaelon Darden ran. I know that he's fast and quick on the field, but I still want to know for sure.

nighttrain

Legend

:rolleyes:
Ihmir Smith-Marsette Scouting Report
A high school water polo player, football was a secondary consideration for 2021 NFL Draft prospect Ihmir Smith-Marsette. It wasn’t until he transferred to Weequahic High School that football became his priority sport. Even then he split time with track commitments, showcasing speed and agility as a hurdl

Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa – NFL Draft Player Profile
Creative, speedy, and explosive, can Ihmir Smith-Marsette become the first Iowa wide receiver to be drafted since 2012 in the 2021 NFL Draft?

By
Oliver Hodgkinson
Published
March 10, 2021
Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Wide Receiver, Iowa - NFL Draft Player Profile

Not so fast,

The Iowa Hawkeyes are not well known for producing speedy, explosive, pass catchers that are drafted to the NFL. This year may just be a little different. Iowa wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette is an exciting and creative 2021 NFL Draft prospect who looks set to be the first receiver drafted from the Hawkeyes since Marvin McNutt in 2012.

Ihmir Smith-Marsette NFL Draft Profile
  • Position: Wide Receiver
  • School: Iowa
  • Current Year: Senior
  • Height: 6’1″
  • Weight: 179 pounds
Tony Pauline’s Ihmir Smith-Marsette Scouting Report
Positives: Smooth, fluid receiver who flashes ability. Displays a sense of timing, tracks the pass in the air, and consistently extends his hands to snatch the ball away from his frame. Possesses eye/hand coordination and agility and makes a lot of incredibly athletic receptions. Quickly turns upfield after the catch. Experienced kick returner.

Negatives: Doesn’t play to his 40-time and lacks deep speed. Loses his focus and concentration and drops the occasional easy pass. Inconsistent.
Analysis: Smith-Marsette was given huge grades from NFL scouts entering the season, but he never lived up to expectations. He possesses terrific size as well as outstanding speed, but he must elevate his game to have a career at the next level.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Negatives: Doesn’t play to his 40-time and lacks deep speed. Loses his focus and concentration and drops the occasional easy pass. Inconsistent.
Analysis: Smith-Marsette was given huge grades from NFL scouts entering the season, but he never lived up to expectations. He possesses terrific size as well as outstanding speed, but he must elevate his game to have a career at the next level.
Brian Quick 2.0?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
:rolleyes:
A high school water polo player, football was a secondary consideration for 2021 NFL Draft prospect Ihmir Smith-Marsette. It wasn’t until he transferred to Weequahic High School that football became his priority sport. Even then he split time with track commitments, showcasing speed and agility as a hurdl

Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa – NFL Draft Player Profile
Creative, speedy, and explosive, can Ihmir Smith-Marsette become the first Iowa wide receiver to be drafted since 2012 in the 2021 NFL Draft?

By
Oliver Hodgkinson
Published
March 10, 2021
Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Wide Receiver, Iowa - NFL Draft Player Profile

Not so fast,

The Iowa Hawkeyes are not well known for producing speedy, explosive, pass catchers that are drafted to the NFL. This year may just be a little different. Iowa wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette is an exciting and creative 2021 NFL Draft prospect who looks set to be the first receiver drafted from the Hawkeyes since Marvin McNutt in 2012.

Ihmir Smith-Marsette NFL Draft Profile
  • Position: Wide Receiver
  • School: Iowa
  • Current Year: Senior
  • Height: 6’1″
  • Weight: 179 pounds
Tony Pauline’s Ihmir Smith-Marsette Scouting Report
Positives: Smooth, fluid receiver who flashes ability. Displays a sense of timing, tracks the pass in the air, and consistently extends his hands to snatch the ball away from his frame. Possesses eye/hand coordination and agility and makes a lot of incredibly athletic receptions. Quickly turns upfield after the catch. Experienced kick returner.

As a Hawkeye fan. I agree and disagree with some of it.

He definitely has deep speed and plays with speed. If you go back and watch his junior film, you'll see it, and some of his senior film. Both the Iowa WRs draft stock plummeted with Spencer Petras (same HS as Jared Goff) at QB. They both were open quite frequently, and quite frequently the QB overthrew, or under threw. And if he made a competition, the receivers were making acrobatic catches and slowing down on there route.

He showed some inconsistency, that I agree with. I wouldn't say he has terrific size, they're probably thinking of Brandon Smith who's our other WR who is a freak.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
He's got the name for it doesn't he. Anchrum is the most center-like name I think I've ever seen.

Anchrum at center works for me. Rams are high on him, he's big, capable, played all the positions at Clemson. Doesn't seem to quite have the length for tackle and Rams have guards. Why not?

But Corbett works for me too. And if they're going to try someone on the roster it might likely need to be a camp competition to see who can handle it. So give them both a try.

Or somehow get a real center.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Anchrum at center works for me. Rams are high on him, he's big, capable, played all the positions at Clemson. Doesn't seem to quite have the length for tackle and Rams have guards. Why not?

But Corbett works for me too. And if they're going to try someone on the roster it might likely need to be a camp competition to see who can handle it. So give them both a try.

That would be one incredible find if 7'th round draft pick Tremayne Anchrum could go from 2020 deep reserve to quality starting Center in 2021. Imagine how blown away ROD will be if the Rams forgo free agency and the draft at Center/OG if Anchrum or Corbett nailed it down & Brewer vies for a starting position elsewhere across the OL, definitely a game ball, bottle of Champagne and bonus to our scouting department.
OK, someone wake me up ...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Water polo is no joke man. That's a damn workout.

As a Hawkeye fan. I agree and disagree with some of it.

He definitely has deep speed and plays with speed. If you go back and watch his junior film, you'll see it, and some of his senior film. Both the Iowa WRs draft stock plummeted with Spencer Petras (same HS as Jared Goff) at QB. They both were open quite frequently, and quite frequently the QB overthrew, or under threw. And if he made a competition, the receivers were making acrobatic catches and slowing down on there route.

He showed some inconsistency, that I agree with. I wouldn't say he has terrific size, they're probably thinking of Brandon Smith who's our other WR who is a freak.
A bad QB can turn a good prospect into a diamond in the rough. I'm sure the Rams are all over him and will adjust for that.

Did he show well at the Senior Bowl? Or was he even there.

Shuie3225

Starter

Yea we are high on him and so was Dabo Swinney if you go back and listen to comments he's made. He said some team will take him with a late pick and get lucky because he's going to be a good pro. The benefit to Corbett sliding over to C or Anchrum starting next year, is it gives us a lot more flexibility in the draft. There should be a good C available at 57, but if Corbett or Anchrum is starting there we can draft a guard as well. And maybe with one of our 3rd round picks instead of 57. That will allow us to go CB, or Edge which is where I think we go at 57 if not OL. A lot of people are banging the table for an ILB at 57 and while I understand the sentiment, we did finish #1 in the NFL last year starting a combination of Kaiser, Reeder, and Young. This year we have Howard coming back off injury who last year was the best out of the entire group. So I think we will prioritize Edge or CB with pick 57 if we choose not to draft OL.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Water polo is no joke man. That's a damn workout.

A bad QB can turn a good prospect into a diamond in the rough. I'm sure the Rams are all over him and will adjust for that.

Smith-Marsette makes a lot of sense because of his return ability as well. DJax wont be returning punts I dont think. It will be important to keep him healthy and in WR sets so I doubt we risk it. The speed type WR we draft will have return ability 100% and this kid fits the bill. But this WR draft is DEEEEEP as hell. Some have said maybe even deeper than last year in the mid rounds. So we will have multiple options to get this role filled.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
1. Center
2. LB
3. WR
4. Dl
5. Secondary
My top 5 rankings of need by position groups

I don't totally agree with your position group priority rankings but I can't blatantly disagree with them either rdlkgliders.

The draft will tell us a lot about how the Rams brass thinks.

They might choose best player available with 2 of their first 3 selections and pass up on some of the the better players in the need position groups.

Nobody knows for sure and we won't find out until their 2020 draft is over.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think WR is done now. Done as in ready for the draft where you can take someone but don't need to. That's where the GMs like to be. Good chance they take one but if not they'll be ok.

Center is not good. And they can add one of these guys in FA but the ones available are not gonna solve the position for us. So no matter what happens they have to draft it.

DL still has some guys. I imagine the Rams look hard at them but not sure they'll be able to add to it. So looking like draft to me right now.

OLB same. Guys on the market we can afford won't move the needle. Draft.

CB there are options to solve the slot. They could stand pat if they like Burgess or Long but I imagine we'll see a FA added here soon.

This draft looks like it's gonna be a trenches draft for us.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Smith-Marsette was invited to the East-West Shrine game. However, that game was cancelled. Some players were picked up to the Senior Bowl rosters but he was not.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
CB there are options to solve the slot. They could stand pat if they like Burgess or Long but I imagine we'll see a FA added here soon.

This draft looks like it's gonna be a trenches draft for us.
This could be. However, I have a gut feeling they use one the 3rd rnd or 4th rnd pick on a Safety. The perception is the Rams are deep. But, I don't think between Burgess, Fuller and Rapp that any of them can play that "in the box" SS that J.Johnson was so good at. Johnson was stout in run defense and tackling near the LOS along with his great coverage on TE's. Rapp may be the closest to him in his abilities, has a similar build and size but does not play as strong as Johnson. He also has been dinged up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a SS type and slot CB drafted.

oldnotdead

Legend
Starting a rookie at center is begging for problems. The NFL is far and away more complex than any of these college centers have experienced. Making the correct line calls in the NFL is an art and shouldn't be taken for granted. The Rams have two guys who have acclimated to the NFL, and have worked as NFL centers already on the roster. Allen and Shelton both are better right now than Blythe was last year. I would be very surprised if the Rams made a move on that position. The Rams are in a win-now mode so starting a rookie center makes no sense.

Their focus should be on edge, and SCB and CB depth in general. WR is pretty much a closed position right now. They are already 5 deep there.

This team is essentially built. The only real question is who will be starting at DE. Normally, I would say Terrell Lewis, would be starting opposite Floyd. My only concern is Lewis' inability to stay healthy. When healthy, he's got the potential to be another Floyd. Will the Rams hedge their bet and draft for the position or will they take a long hard look at their current roster and guys like Jonah Williams who has the physical build and speed of a prototypical 3-4 DE.

Because of the guys like Moncrief, Hoecht, Williams and Rozeboom I can see two or three of them stepping up this season and contributing as depth or starters. It's why I feel the roster is essentially there and the parts just need to be sorted out and put together properly. The apparent lack of FA moves by the FO seems to bolster that they feel likewise.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We have 6 draft picks, but it feels like we need more things plugged than we have draft picks? Feels that way to me, I think.

Granted, it’s mostly depth we need, but still feels like more on the wish list than picks.

I suspect we trade down and add picks. Little question in my mind this is the draft to have extra picks, even if late. Good players are going to get missed because of CoVID’s impact to scouting.

C, LB, WR, SS, CB, DE, TE all have depth issues.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Winners and Losers from the Rams first week of free agency - Turf Show Times
Winners and Losers from the Rams first week of free agency
Which people tied to the Rams had the best and worst weeks?

By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Mar 24, 2021,
Detroit Lions v Washington Redskins

The LA Rams traded for Matthew Stafford!
That’s the bulk of Rams’ offseason news so far, but it remains huge news nonetheless. Other things have happened too, of course, including a significant commitment to a linebacker that LA was not expected to pull off but managed to anyway. I think the Rams are setup well to be the best team in the NFC next season, but not everyone came out of the first week of free agency “well off.”
Some did, but others did not.

Winners
Matthew Stafford was officially traded from the Lions to the Rams last week, giving himself a greater opportunity to win games in the near future according to both Stafford and the Lions. Stafford asked to be traded to a team that could compete, unlike the Lions, and Detroit happily obliged by sending him to LA for two firsts, a third, and Jared Goff. What’s strange and not-strange to me about the deal is that an organization is so open about their dystopian situation, but the Lions didn’t even attempt to convince Stafford that they’d turn it around by 2022. Instead, they put him on a better roster and with a team that has gone to the playoffs in three of the last four years, so obviously Stafford — by his own admission and by the team that dealt him — is more of a winner right now than he was a few months ago.

Leonard Floyd turned a one-year, $10 million deal into a four-year, $64 million deal and he owes at least a little bit of credit to Seattle’s poor pass protection. Agree or disagree with LA’s insistence that Floyd — not John Johnson — was the top priority for the Rams this offseason, both players got paid. But Floyd got paid to stay.
Chicago Bears v Los Angeles Rams
Photo by
Michael Brockers went from being a cap casualty candidate with the Rams to signing an updated three-year, $24 million contract with the Lions and $11 million fully guaranteed. Though Brockers is in an apparently worse situation in the standings, he at least has a guaranteed $7 million base salary in 2022 thanks to this trade.

Darious Williams got the first round tender, earning more than $1 million over what he would have made on the second round tender. A good 2021 season should open up the possibility for Williams to sign a deal similar to that of what William Jackson signed: three years and $40.5 million with Washington.

LA’s “fringe” free agents have made cash while plenty of other veterans are still sending out resumes in what has been an exceptionally difficult year for available players. Morgan Fox, Samson Ebukam, Gerald Everett, Malcolm Brown, Josh Reynolds, Jake McQuaide, and Troy Hill are all happily employed millionaires. Derek Rivers was even signed too. Don’t think that’s impressive? Check out the long list of former Chiefs, many of whom have been to the last two Super Bowls, who are still looking for work. That includes Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz, Austin Reiter, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, Alex Okafor, Damien Williams, Damien Wilson, and Tanoh Kpassagnon.

Losers
Don’t twist my words here, because I’m not saying John Johnson is a “loser” after signing a three-year deal with the Browns, but I sure thought he would have a better offseason than what transpired. Johnson signed a three-year, $33.75 million deal with the Browns with a $12 million signing bonus, but it could easily turn into a two-year, $24 million deal for all intents and purposes. That’s fine — but what’s kept the 25-year-old Johnson from being paid like 27-year-old Justin Simmons, who signed a four-year, $61 million deal with $32.1 million fully guaranteed? Is it their on-field talents alone? Is it that Simmons was a franchise tag player and a one-time Pro Bowler? I think Johnson deserved better. Johnson is owed a $17.1 million cap hit in 2023 and if he gets through that, then he’ll have come out this deal as a true winner.

Austin Blythe hasn’t found a team yet. We haven’t even heard rumors of a team being interested.

Arizona Cardinals v Los Angeles Rams

The 2022 salary cap number has taken a significant hit by Les Snead’s necessary unraveling of the issues in 2021. By restructuring several huge contracts, the Rams now have $203.8 million in commitments for 2022 and the salary cap is not expected to be much higher than that, if not failing to reach $200 million at all. LA can find cap savings next year (releasing Andrew Whitworth saves $13 million alone) but it could be right back to restructuring deals and pushing financial issues back again. That can only happen so many times.