Rams Reddit Mailbag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/30/nfl-rams-reddit-mailbag-question-answer-jared-goff/

Rams Reddit mailbag: What happens after L.A. pays Jared Goff?
By: Cameron DaSilva

usatsi_11398662.jpg

On Thursday, I was fortunate enough to host an AMA (ask me anything) on Rams Reddit, fielding questions from the most dedicated fans.

Below, I’ve highlighted some of the best questions and answers, but you can find the full AMA here.

What do you think happens to the team after we have to pay Goff what he is (deservedly) due a.k.a. his rookie deal expires? Think the front office will be able to keep scheming picks/trades to be competitive?

That’s the biggest hurdle for the Rams’ long-term success. The Seahawks underwent a facelift recently after paying Russ – albeit, injuries played a factor, too – which shows how hard it is to build a roster after paying a franchise QB. The core of Gurley, Donald, Cooks, Havenstein is already intact, but it could lead to guys like Peters, Joyner, Saffold and Barron leaving. Keeping Saffold around is a must.

How much do you think the return of Talib will improve our defense heading into the playoffs?

Immensely. He’s going to have a big impact on the secondary, allowing Marcus Peters to stay on the right side of the field rather than shadowing No. 1 receivers. When Talib was healthy, the Rams were allowing under 200 passing yards per game in the first three weeks.

What are your thoughts of some of our potential offseason moves coming up? I know a little early to think about it, but I’m a big draft guy and like to know what others think

I haven’t dived into the 2019 class much yet, but as for the Rams, their top needs are coming into focus. Here’s how I’d rank them:

• OLB
  • Safety
  • ILB
  • CB
  • NT
Those can (and will) change depending on what happens with Fowler, Suh, Joyner, Talib, etc., but I’d say those are some of the top needs. Expect the Rams to try to retain Fowler on a reasonable contract, but Talib isn’t guaranteed to return given his age and his contract situation. The Rams could move on in 2019.

What are some of the main differences you’ve seen/felt compared to 2017 Rams

I think Jared Goff has taken a huge step forward this season and is playing like a top-five quarterback. His comfort in the offense and confidence throwing downfield make a huge difference. Not to mention, he’s shown that “clutch” gene with four fourth-quarter comebacks. This team is oozing with confidence and knows it can win the Super Bowl. The biggest question is how the defense will perform in the playoffs.

How do you rank Goff, Gurley, and Donald in terms of MVP odds?
  1. Gurley
  2. Goff
  3. Donald
It’s a QB’s award, but Gurley is having a special season and Goff can’t match Mahomes’ stats. Donald might be the best player in football, but he has (almost) no chance to win MVP.

Other than Malcolm Brown, who do you think we near 100% lose in the off season?

Malcolm isn’t 100 percent leaving. He’s a RFA and could easily be brought back.

I wouldn’t bank on Suh returning. Joyner has a decent chance at signing elsewhere. Barron isn’t a FA, but he could be cut to save money. Saffold and Fowler will probably be the Rams’ top FA priorities.

Others who may not return:

• Longacre
  • Ramik
  • Shields
  • Mannion
  • Easley

Which AFC team do you think the Rams will face in the super bowl? What do you think our chances are against each of those three? Personally I think highest vs Brady if Gordon stays healthy. Would love a Belichick vs McVay showdown

Chiefs. Or Chargers. Or Patriots. But definitely the Chiefs.

Chiefs pose the biggest threat to LA, but Chargers and Pats are both tough. I’d say the Rams’ best chance is against the Chargers, having beaten them already. but that was without Bosa, too. I don’t know that the Pats are explosive enough to keep up.

Who do you think is our biggest challenge the remainder of the normal season? And one more, do you think we can beat the Saints if we play them again?

Definitely the Bears next week. That’s their toughest remaining game.

As for the Saints, absolutely. It was a close game until the end and if the Rams get to face the Saints at home, it’ll be a much different story. These two teams could play a best-of-seven series and it’d almost always come down to Game 7. Very evenly matched.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What will the Rams do when they have to pay Goff? We'll have tough choices...Simochrome or Brasso to polish those three Super Bowl trophies?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hopefully he'll start dating supermodels. I think this board is well suited to assist him in whether they're up to snuff. :p