Rams re-sign Whitworth for three more years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not correct. But Glenn's attitude has been a problem, and he's worse than Whitworth.
Attitude is part of my equation. What good is any talent if you can't be motivated to play. People around here want him to come in as a guard and that was the problem with Cincy they wanted the same and he refused to play. I think he's worse at LT than Whit and has a terrible attitude having quit on both teams he played on one who wanted to make him a starter and needed him to start and he refused. There's no place for a guy like that in a locker room.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think we go O line in Rd 2. I see it as being a D heavy draft. But, if we were to go OT, Ezra Cleveland might be there at 52
It's loaded at a lot of positions tbh, on offense the OTs might be very good at 52 and the WRs should be too. It's impossible to predict, but we do know Snead might favor a move down given his draft history.

Looking at this roster though it is going to be really tough to pass on a potential LT of the future. 52 is the window to get that and it's not for sure by any means IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Attitude is part of my equation. What good is any talent if you can't be motivated to play. People around here want him to come in as a guard and that was the problem with Cincy they wanted the same and he refused to play. I think he's worse at LT than Whit and has a terrible attitude having quit on both teams he played on one who wanted to make him a starter and needed him to start and he refused. There's no place for a guy like that in a locker room.

There's a difference between having a shit attitude and not being an effective player. Kromer coached Glenn. I imagine the Rams know enough to know if the risk is worth taking.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Ramrocket said:
I don't think we go O line in Rd 2. I see it as being a D heavy draft. But, if we were to go OT, Ezra Cleveland might be there at 52

It's loaded at a lot of positions tbh, on offense the OTs might be very good at 52 and the WRs should be too. It's impossible to predict, but we do know Snead might favor a move down given his draft history.

Looking at this roster though it is going to be really tough to pass on a potential LT of the future. 52 is the window to get that and it's not for sure by any means IMO.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I see the Rams going heavy on D in the draft Although it is a D heavy draft as well!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I see the Rams going heavy on D in the draft Although it is a D heavy draft as well!!
Right on man and I was trackin what you meant. That would not surprise me since dev LT isn't exactly an impact player for 2020. I just think it's necessary looking at this roster. (y)

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
As usual, I’m loving the decision making of McSnead.

Their hands are really tied this year, but they are making the best of a difficult situation.

Fowler and Littleton were (predictably) out of our price range.

IMHO the OL was the most pressing concern on this team. Really glad we have some stability (I hope) with resigning Whit and Blythe. The alternatives to NOT signing them were... pretty bad.

Allen instead of Blythe at center? No way.

Noteboom or an overpriced FA instead of Whit? No way.

Despite limited funds, the Rams shored up 2 huge problem areas.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Right on man and I was trackin what you meant. That would not surprise me since dev LT isn't exactly an impact player for 2020. I just think it's necessary looking at this roster. (y)

Yep, I'd prefer we take a LOT candidate in the 2nd as well but I just don't think Snead sees it the same way. And you're right, he's odds on to trade down.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
—Super Bowl ??
Roger Saffold for 3 more years & Noteboom being the starting LT 2020.

Yeah - the cap does not work, but That was the original plan. Noteboom may never be the same. Could maybe never play again from the way he said he was not even walking 3 months ago ?? Just seems weird.

This goes back to my bet of The Rams not drafting a OLman 2020. The Rams are already young enough.
An alternative that doesn't include Saffold. He's in Tennessee.
I get what you're saying but that's not how it works.

I also get the angst over losing Rodger a year ago, but i truly believe that even with him in there last year the offense still struggles it's way to 9 wins. IMO it was more about a tired scheme getting beat over personnel problems...but that's a whole different debate.

The Rams HAD to retain Whit this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
The key to the OL likely comes down to Havenstein returning to his 2018 now.
LT, RT and RG locked down with Edwards.....that RT spot returning to a plus would be huge.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Great move, sure he’s loosing a step but hell, we gotta hang on to good O line men right now! Glad to have a field coach and leader back! Congrats Big Whit!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a difference between having a shit attitude and not being an effective player. Kromer coached Glenn. I imagine the Rams know enough to know if the risk is worth taking.
And they signed Whitworth and Blythe instead of Glenn, granted there's still time they could sign him. But he's been 3rd option so far. And reports are he won't play Guard so we are set at Tackle now I can't see us signing him which means Kromer passed on him knowing him.

Ram65

Legend

I was thinking and hoping for an $8-10 Mil cost in 2020. It wouldn't surprise me if he wants to play for two more years. That would make him 40 years old with a 15-year career. I would like to see the details but, whatever the numbers are he was the best choice and the only choice that made sense.

I too have been asking who else would play LT for the Rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
noteboom was the plan, until allen took him out in week 7.

I endorse the Whitworth signing. If it had not happened, I would have been nervous.

But I think some of us have forgotten how good Noteboom has played at times... as a young player.

I believe despite perhaps not being 100% to open 2020, he could be a very important piece. Solid insurance if nothing else.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
And they signed Whitworth and Blythe instead of Glenn, granted there's still time they could sign him. But he's been 3rd option so far. And reports are he won't play Guard so we are set at Tackle now I can't see us signing him which means Kromer passed on him knowing him.

...and Zac Taylor knowing him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not debating that it's not going to happen. I'm saying he's an effective player, so if we did sign him, there would be good reason for it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m conflicted over the Whit extension, tbh.

I love the guy but he’s not getting any younger and there were signs of decline in his play last year. And $10M is a helluva big chunk of available cap space, for sure.

I’m a big Boom fan and feel that he’s our future starting LOT. But even I realize that it’s not yet certain exactly when Boom will be 100%.

So at the very least Big Whit represents a quality insurance policy at the all important LOT position. I guess that’s worth the $10M. Kinda...

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Not sure about the guaranteed portion, but the overall contract is more than his original Rams contract. Good for him, has been a godsend at LT after the Grob disaster.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Looks like his cap hit this year is 6.6 this year, 11.6 next year with 5.8 of dead money if the cut him.