Rams RB Cam Akers is slated for the best season of his young career

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Rams RB Cam Akers is slated for the best season of his young career​

Back in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Rams used their first selection of the festivities (2nd round, 52nd overall) on a running back out of Florida State by the name of Cam Akers. Akers, who was a 5-star recruit and one of the most sought after prospects coming out of high school, has a very solid career in college despite having one of the worst offensive line units in all of the FBS division.

Akers’ rookie season started off on the slower side, as the RB didn’t really get going until the back half of the season. However, once Akers did catch his stride around the week 13 mark, it looked as if the Rams hit the jackpot with their selection. That season, the offense was very up and down, struggling to find their true identity. Despite the struggles, the squad made the postseason, and in those two postseason games Cam Akers was the focal point of the offensive attack.

In Akers’ first two career postseason appearances, he rushed for 221 total yards and had 2 rushing touchdowns on top of those, averaging 23 carries in those two games. Following the season-ending loss to the Packers, the trajectory of Akers’ career looked as if he was headed straight towards becoming one of the top backs in the entire NFL.

Then, disaster struck, as Akers tore his achilles in the off-season, seemingly ending any chances of seeing him play in the 2021-2022 season. However, despite the horrible injury, Akers battled his way back, allowing himself to return and contribute to the teams Super Bowl winning run. It was clear Akers did not have the same burst as we saw in his rookie year, but the overall resolve Akers showed to battle his way back said a lot about the mental make-up of the guy.

Fast-forward to last season, Akers had a full off-season/training camp of health, and fans were excited to see him back at full strength heading into the year. Folks assumed, well at least I assumed, that Cam Akers would be the bell-cow RB that he has shown he’s capable of being, playing a majority of the snaps in a game and wearing down defenses. Well, once the year kicked off, that was far from the case.

Through the first nine appearances in the Rams first 11 games for Akers in the 2022 season (was inactive for two games), he averaged just 31.7% of the offensive snaps at RB, shockingly low for a guy who many thought would be the starter. There was a rift in the locker room between Akers and head coach Sean McVay, which eventually led to Akers requesting a trade midseason. It seemed as though there was nowhere to go and, with the team struggling mightily, it seemed Akers’ time in L.A. was coming to a sour end.

Then, once the team reportedly turned down multiple offers (which you can believe if you want to), a switch seemed to flip for the running game and Akers alike. Through the team’s final six games of the season, we got a glimpse of the star that Akers can be once again, as he rushed for 512 yards, 6 TDs, 4.9 YPC, with 11 receptions for 99 yards to go on top of the gaudy rushing numbers. In those games, Cam averaged about 74% of the offensive snaps at RB, a complete flip from what we saw to begin the year. Although the season was lost, Akers was found, ending the season on perhaps the highest note possible.

Now, as we head into the 2023-2024 season, Akers is slated to be the uncontested RB1 to start the year off. I anticipate Akers to get 70-75% of the snaps at RB from the get go, something we have not seen in the entirety of his career thus far. The Rams also brought in a mauling guard in Steve Avila out of TCU, which should bode extremely well for the zone running scheme the team deploys. With the overall health/depth of the o-line improving, the running game as a whole could return to the dominance that we saw early in the McVay-era.

Given all the things that Cam Akers has been through, he is still here and ready to ball. Through the injuries and the trade requests, Akers will be the team’s RB1 this season, and he is set up to have a career season assuming he stays healthy throughout the year.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I dunno bout ol' Cam these days. The decent run at the end of a shit sandwich of a season just doesn't move the needle for me for some reason.

I'm also still curious what actually went down with him and the coaches last year. That shit was just...... Weird.

Here's hoping he makes me look stupid. It's not that hard, I do it all the time.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I dunno bout ol' Cam these days. The decent run at the end of a shit sandwich of a season just doesn't move the needle for me for some reason.

I'm also still curious what actually went down with him and the coaches last year. That shit was just...... Weird.

Here's hoping he makes me look stupid. It's not that hard, I do it all the time.

I feel exactly the same way. Saying he'll have a breakout season won't be hard by his standards because he really hasn't done much in the NFL.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am excited to see what the Evans brothers bring to the table and if both of them get playing time during the season, most fans will continue to mix them up during the season, what more could you ask for?

v3wury6epxjenetwpmlr.jpg

xjyueuzd7kwwd1jgknpr

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Stay healthy Cam. This season I prefer our depth doesn't get tested. Rather have a full season of him in a contract year playing his ass off, as we're gonna need that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I expect Akers to have a fantastic season.
The offensive line will be much improved and more powerful through the middle. There will be a functional passing game to open up more opportunities.. and I think he'll be a target more often as well.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am excited to see what the Evans brothers bring to the table and if both of them get playing time during the season, most fans will continue to mix them up during the season, what more could you ask for?

v3wury6epxjenetwpmlr.jpg

xjyueuzd7kwwd1jgknpr
These guys look like they’re in a line up. SMH

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think it all depends on his health the health the other running backs.

He's now another year healed up from knee surgery.
That's usually when the running back comes back completely.

He's a Ram, and he's a starter and have all the confidence in the world he will do well.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let’s not forget K-Will, who will likely be our main third down back and our best pass protector.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stay healthy Cam. This season I prefer our depth doesn't get tested. Rather have a full season of him in a contract year playing his ass off, as we're gonna need that.
Health is the biggest factor. But McVay has to utilize him properly as well. McVays offense seems to work better with a bell-cow type of back and Cam has produced in some games. I don't think McVay has ever had success rotating the backs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Health is the biggest factor. But McVay has to utilize him properly as well. McVays offense seems to work better with a bell-cow type of back and Cam has produced in some games. I don't think McVay has ever had success rotating the backs.

As you post that,I’d have to say there has been no consistency with how he uses his RB’s.Sort of interesting & will be something to keep an eye on.
He did use Todd Gurley though in Mcvay’s early seasons with The Rams.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm hoping the last half dozen games will be a springboard to Akers having the kind of season we know he's capable of. Can we be sure? No we cannot. The good stretches give him something to build on. But the sample size is too small. We don't really know if he will sustain it. I think if they are gonna surprise us with a winning season its critical he plays like the last half of the season. Not the first half.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm hoping the last half dozen games will be a springboard to Akers having the kind of season we know he's capable of. Can we be sure? No we cannot. The good stretches give him something to build on. But the sample size is too small. We don't really know if he will sustain it. I think if they are gonna surprise us with a winning season its critical he plays like the last half of the season. Not the first half.
If you add the youth,experience,& health to Cam Akers career? I’d say with a better OFFENSE LINE as well,expect a 1,000 plus season easily. 300 yards receiving to Top it off. TD’s should be up as well.

How good is the Depth as well? That is a whole Nother topic to add to the mix.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
No telling with Akers. A great season would be nice but I'd let him walk after this year. No need to give a RB a 2nd contract.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder what the beef was about. I just hate to see someone requesting a trade midseason. I mean, people can do what they want to, and I'm all for player mobility, but it should be about team. That's just my opinion. Hell, if I knew what went on, I could be backing Cam. I hope he has a good year, and if he wants to bail after that, he is going to help some other team out.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Without having any first hand knowledge I believe the problem was with the new RB coach, not McVay.

The Oline was a disaster and Akers was getting hammered in the backfield most of his few carries a game he was getting. We all saw that.

Thinking anyone would have produced well behind that shitshow is not reality.

What we saw in the SB run and at the end of last season is what he can do if given the opportunity with a functional offense.

If he stays healthy and gets support it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him at 1500 yards from scrimmage and a dozen TDs.