Rams Quinn, Donald set for the Pro Bowl/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Quinn, Donald set for the Pro Bowl
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_776312bf-5a82-5062-aba4-f4ad8791205c.html

To be completely honest, Rams defensive end Robert Quinn would rather be in Hawaii.

“I’m a guy who loves the water and the beach, so obviously, I miss that part of it,’’ said Quinn, who’ll join rookie teammate and defensive tackle Aaron Donald with Team Irvin when the NFL’s best square off in the Pro Bowl Sunday at the University of Phoenix in Glendale, Ariz., which also happens to be the site of Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday, Feb. 1. The Pro Bowl, on ESPN, kicks off at 7 p.m.

With the exception of one season, the NFL all-star game from 1980 through 2014 was held at Aloha Stadium in Hawaii. The exception: in 2010, the game was played in Miami, site of that year’s Super Bowl.

The 2015 and 2016 Pro Bowls have been scheduled for Hawaii.

“It’s a nice vacation, especially at this time of year,’’ said Quinn, a team captain last year in his first Pro Bowl. “But I’m just proud to be here. To be voted to the Pro Bowl is a huge honor and a blessing. Being here and getting a chance to practice with and play against the best of the best, it’s something special.’’

Players are voted to the Pro Bowl by fellow players, coaches and fans. Before last year’s game, the league ditched the NFC vs. AFC format in favor of a televised player draft. On Wednesday, both Quinn and Donald were drafted by the team headed by ex-Cowboys star receiver Michael Irvin. The opposing squad is led by former Vikings’ standout receiver Cris Carter.

Thanks to the new format, the 2014 contest drew 11.4 million viewers, making it the most-watched all-star game in all sports during the last four years.

The game also features a number of rule changes to “spice’’ things up. A few of the more notable ones are:

• No kickoffs. Possessions will begin at the 25-yard line.

• Narrower uprights for extra points. In addition to moving conversions back to the 15-yard line, as was the case during some preseason games last summer, the uprights on extra points will be moved from 18 feet 6 inches to 14 feet.

• More timeouts. Teams will have two per quarter and they will be allowed to carry them over within that half.

• More two-minute warnings. There will be a two-minute warning at the end of each quarter. In addition, possession will be switched at the end of each period.

“It’s definitely different, but I think they’re just trying to add a little for the fans,’’ Quinn said.

Selected 14th overall by the Rams in the first round of the 2011 NFL draft, Quinn said nothing will ever top his first Pro Bowl but noted that this one figures to be similarly special.

“That first time, you’re so excited, just getting a chance to meet and get to know the guys you’ve played against,’’ he said. “It’s been a lot of fun this year, too, seeing those guys again and having a little more appreciation for what an honor like this means. The practices here are pretty low-key, but once we get to Sunday, I think everybody wants to make sure that they’re able to show why they’re here.’’

In 2013, Quinn was a no-doubt Pro Bowl selection after setting a franchise record with an NFC-leading 19 sacks and being named defensive player of the year by the Pro Football Writers Association of America.

But 2014 started slowly for the 24-year-old from the University of North Carolina. However, after failing to record a sack in the Rams’ first five games, the 6-foot-4, 264-pound Quinn came on strong to lead the Rams with 10 ½ sacks, marking his third straight season with double-digit sacks.

“It’s funny how rushing the passer works sometimes,’’ said Quinn, who led the Rams in quarterback hits (24), was second in pressures (37) and more than likely led the league in being held during 2014. “I was working hard, doing the same things I’d done in the past. The numbers weren’t there early, which was definitely frustrating for me, but I kept working at it and eventually they started coming again.’’

The Rams selected Donald with the 13th pick of the opening round last May and ended up with one of the league’s most productive first-year players. The 6-foot-1, 285-pounder from the University of Pittsburgh was voted the PFWAA defensive rookie of the year and joined a pair of teammates, running back Tre Mason and ex-Mizzou defensive back E.J. Gaines, on the all-rookie squad. Donald was a force inside, pacing all rookies with nine sacks and adding 17 tackles for loss, the most by an NFL interior lineman since the league started keeping track in 1997.

Donald is the first Rams rookie to earn a spot in the Pro Bowl since Jerome Bettis in 1993 and the first Rams rookie defender since Isiah Robertson in 1971.

“This was definitely one of my goals, but to accomplish it as a rookie, it’s like, ‘Wow.’’’ the 23-year-old Donald said. “These are the guys I grew up watching, so to be here with them, it’s really a blessing. It’s a been a fun trip, but at the same time, I’m also trying to make it a learning experience.’’

Donald said that getting a chance to experience the Pro Bowl with Quinn is a bonus.

“It just helps make everything that much more comfortable,’’ Donald said. “But it’s been that way all season. The guys on the team, especially the defensive linemen, they made me feel welcome as soon as I got here. They pushed me and helped me, but they also made things a lot of fun.’’

Donald said he is excited about the game.

“Football’s a fun sport, but it’s also a competition,’’ he said. “Any time I play, I’m looking to show out, to fly around and hopefully make plays. And I know I’m going to have fun doing it.’’

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well at least it looks like their having Fun. The game probably won't be.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I know they are in it, but the combination of it being a fantasy draft, shortening goal posts, all around non-seriousness of this game, and being on BSPN, I'm not gonna watch. I'm goign to be watching Sons of Liberty instead.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I 'll be watching because this will be Donald's coming out party. He has flown under the radar all season, but after this game everyone is gonna know who he is.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm not watching this game because it comes on at like 7:00. Why? So lame!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aaron Donald enjoyed first Pro Bowl trip
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15727/aaron-donald-enjoyed-first-pro-bowl-trip

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Upon arrival in Arizona for his first Pro Bowl after his first NFL season, St. Louis Rams rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald had to take a minute to soak it all in.

The soft-spoken Donald is about as humble as they come but the chance to be surrounded by so many of the league's greatest players, players that just a year ago he was watching only on television, made him do a double take.

“I had to get used to it during the first Pro Bowl practice, but I’m getting used to it," Donald said. "It’s just been fun, like I said. I’m just taking it all in and enjoying the moment and having fun while I’m doing it.”

Donald played for Team Michael Irvin in Sunday night's Pro Bowl, starting at defensive tackle alongside the New York Jets' Sheldon Richardson as Team Irvin came away with a 32-28 win against Team Cris Carter.

Donald's impact in the game was minimal in terms of statistics as the unofficial press box numbers had him down for one tackle though, per usual, he was able to push the pocket to help others make some plays along the way. Rams teammate Robert Quinn did not register on the statistics list but also was part of Team Irvin.

After leading all rookies with nine sacks and recently winning the Pro Football Writers of America's Defensive Rookie of the Year award, Donald will have the chance to stay in Arizona for Saturday night's NFL awards show. It's there that Donald will be in line to take the "official" Defensive Rookie of the Year award handed out by the Associated Press.

Donald is considered the favorite for that award as well but will be pushed by Oakland linebacker Khalil Mack and Baltimore linebacker C.J. Mosley. Regardless, Donald plans to enjoy every minute.

“It’s been great from start to finish," Donald said. "I’m just trying to take it all in.”