Rams' Quick: "It's about that time"/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
It was a joke, but it was also true.

Usually on the right side? Don't know if I'd say that. Obviously, it depends on the formation called. X will be lined up in twin, and trips formations, so he's no always alone. At least 7 offensive players must be on the LOS. The X is also called a split end, because he is split out, and on the end of the LOS. The Z is also called a Flanker, and he is traditionally on the TE side, and off the LOS. If a player is on the LOS, outside the TE, then the TE is covered, and not eligible to go out on a route, but you can run a play.

A Y is usually the designation for a TE. H has become a popular term for a TE who is playing in the slot, and off the LOS. Some offenses call the 4th receiver a B, or Bandit, but there are other designations...depends on the offensive system.

The main thing here is that the X plays on the LOS, so he has to be able to beat press coverage. Big and strong helps, but a quick guy can often beat press too. A Z plays off the LOS, so the defender can't line up right on him, and being off the LOS, the Z can go in motion creating more havoc on the defense, because that can change their responsibilities, and coverages right before the snap.

Great description, and far more in depth than the way I presented it.

The only reason I went with the right-left side was an observation of my own to simplify a way of reading it presnap, and obviously is not a rule of thumb, but more times than not something I saw.

I will add that Y can also be a designation for a slot receiver, in the place of a tight end, if the tight end is lining up in-line.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Great description, and far more in depth than the way I presented it.

The only reason I went with the right-left side was an observation of my own to simplify a way of reading it presnap, and obviously is not a rule of thumb, but more times than not something I saw.

I will add that Y can also be a designation for a slot receiver, in the place of a tight end, if the tight end is lining up in-line.
There are just so many variations, and offenses, it's hard to describe them all.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
There are just so many variations, and offenses, it's hard to describe them all.

True.

Anyway, with regards to Britt and Quick, it kinda looks to me at least like the Rams are taking a page from what made the Bears successful last year (and Tampa is also trying with Jackson and Evans) - that is to say having two tall, big WRs on the outside who can win jump ball situations. It's a different dynamic than I was expecting, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
True.

Anyway, with regards to Britt and Quick, it kinda looks to me at least like the Rams are taking a page from what made the Bears successful last year (and Tampa is also trying with Jackson and Evans) - that is to say having two tall, big WRs on the outside who can win jump ball situations. It's a different dynamic than I was expecting, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
In another thread I mentioned that with them being the two starters...as it's looking so far, you get the best of both worlds, because even when running the ball, we have some big physical blockers downfield. I think it will play out nicely, because we have some big TE's, and throw Austin in the slot, or wherever, and there is a lot of diversity, which creates matchup problems all over the field. I really like the two big guys on the field though, like you said, like the Bears. Can't wait.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
True.

Or even a throw back to Rice-Taylor....whom were considered big wrs in their day...TO was later added to that, as a "true" big wr....

TXRams86

The Infamous
i'm really looking forward to see if Quick's skills translate to success come game day.
beating a dead horse here but it seems like Britt has really helped Quick become more comfortable with himself.
break out year for Quick i hope.