Ram's QB1 of the future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Florio has predicted that the Rams would make a play to trade for Kirk Cousins next year. Although Cousins is a fit for McVay's offense, I don't see it happening. Next year the Vikings have a decision to make to either pay Cousins or trade him. The problem I see with trading Cousins is that they would be conceding the division to the Lions. That will not sit well with their fanbase. To have the opportunity to take control of the division only to trade it away and start all over again? The Vikings drafted a career backup type QB in this year's draft. IMO they are setting up to extend Cousins.

The Rams are in a similar situation with Stafford but the difference is the decision when to move on from Stafford. If Stafford plays injury free this year and has a strong year, the Rams could give him until the originally projected contract year of the end of 2024. It's why I originally felt that the Rams would draft their QB1 of the future next year giving him a year to develop behind Stafford. They still might. But their clearing as much cap space as they have screams signing a high profile vet QB1. If they do that would mean this would be Stafford's last year. That is entirely possible because as a Post June 1 transaction the Rams would gain $31M in cap in 2024.

I think they might be looking at Justin Herbert who will be playing on his 5th year option contract of $29M. Herbert would project to be extended in the $40+M / yr range and not just as a one contract rental that Cousins who is only one year younger than Stafford would project. He would cost the same as Cousins but is 10 years younger.

IMO if the Chargers once again fall short this season, Spanos would make the trade knowing they can draft another young cheap gun for 4 more years. IMO the draft is both their assets to trade and their fallback if they are unable to.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm also not sure Cousins fits in with we not me, but that may just be my opinion.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That goober can stick his suggestion up his arse.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think I'll wait until mid-season before speculating on Stafford's replacement. Most of my scenarios revolve around whether the Rams are a 6 win team this year with a high 1'st round draft pick, or do we somehow manage a 9 or 10 win season with an early play-off opportunity. An early round 2024 draft pick potentially coupled with the addition of our 2025 1'st round pick should get us one of the top two available QB's next year.
If we can't nail down a top QB in next years draft, then my top choices come down to a LT, Edge & WR, and between the draft and the formidable amount of CAP space we have accrued for free agency, we go all in with Stafford one more time, and it's Super Bowl or Bust.
jmo.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Checking out what Florio actually said (and taking into account his hedging words), the 49ers angle might be more amusing.

"I think you're going to see -- unless the Vikings re-sign him by then, and they can't use the franchise tag on him the way his contract is structured -- you're going to see a potential tug of war between Kyle Shanahan and [Rams coach] Sean McVay for Kirk Cousins next March," Florio said Thursday on "The Rich Eisen Show" (h/t 49ers Webzone). "Mark that down."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Aad5b5D6hg&t=220s

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay cut his teeth as an OC with Cousins and I'm sure he appreciates him. But his offense has moved on to include use of deep shots and Cousins isn't too good there.

Now I doubt McVay wants to see SF add Cousins. But that's a full season away and I don't know if I'd mind too much seeing SF overpay a very mediocre QB.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Matt Stafford is 35. Cousins is 34. Hard to imagine the Rams make a major move for a guy who's only a year younger.

I bet Stafford has at least 2 more years in him, possibly 3. Premature to plan for his successor, IMO.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
But their clearing as much cap space as they have screams signing a high profile vet QB1.
IMO they're clearing cap space for 2024 because they want to make a run for another championship. They're willing to pay for some vets to fill holes in the roster.

I don't see the Rams signing a high profile vet replacement QB1 anytime soon.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IMG_7268.jpeg

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Now I doubt McVay wants to see SF add Cousins. But that's a full season away and I don't know if I'd mind too much seeing SF overpay a very mediocre QB.

Every $$ they sink into a higher paid QB means less $$ for all of those defensive all stars.

BTW, have they re-upped bosa yet? Doubt they could sign both he and cousins next year if they’re both sitting there unsigned, unless they start unloading contracts elsewhere.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Cousins was 28, maybe, but he is not. Also who knows how this breaks out or another team that thinks they are that close. Hell, Cousins could end up being a Patriot if Mac Jones is able to get any traction and in that division, Mac Jones is the 4th best QB.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Honestly, I'm much rather roll with Stetson then make some kind of a play for an old Cousins (who hasn't won anything). At least Stetson fits our championship mentality. I truly think that Bennett could be our QB of future after Stafford. He will get opportunities to show if he's capable this year, be it in training camp or blowouts. At any rate, there is no way I see Cousins as the answer to any Rams QB question.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Of course, this would have to be via trade but Snead and McVay have been aggressive in the past ...

1980+Flash+Gordon+Football+Trading+Card.jpg

Some of you guys need to think a little more Out-of-the-Box.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matt Stafford is 35. Cousins is 34. Hard to imagine the Rams make a major move for a guy who's only a year younger.
Cousins turns 35 in August, so they're both in their age 35 season.
I have a hard time believing the Rams would make a play for Cousins that would pay him 40-50 mill while still having Stafford dead cap sitting at 91 mill in 2024