Rams prospect profile: Billy Turner/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams prospect profile: Billy Turner
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7827/rams-prospect-profile-billy-turner

The 2014 NFL draft is still 11 days away. Before we get there, we'll take a look at a prospect or two in the draft who could be of interest to the St. Louis Rams.

By now, we've covered most of the big names so the focus here will be on vetting some potential additions beyond the top 10 of the draft.

BILLY TURNER

Position: Offensive tackle

School: North Dakota State

Height/Weight: 6-4 7/8, 315 pounds

Projected round: 2 or 3

Pros: A four-year performer, Turner started 57 games in his career and has all of the intangibles you look for. In addition to size and strength, Turner checks off boxes in arm length (34") and hand size (10"). Tested well enough to show he's a good athlete for his size. Comes from strong bloodlines with a father and brother boasting NFL experience. Durable player who never missed a game in college. Solid as a pass blocker and has a mean streak which helps in the run game.

Cons: Coming from a small school, how he fares against elite competition will remain a question until he has the opportunity to do it from week to week. Lacks polish on fundamentals and technique. A bit top heavy as a pass protector and can get caught leaning. Tendency to carry pads too high in the run game which can prevent him from knocking defenders back. While he's a good athlete, probably not best suited for a zone blocking scheme.

Fit with Rams: All of Turner's experience is on the edge at tackle but many see Turner as a guard in the NFL long term. The Rams need some help at both spots and a player who has the versatility to do both would be a logical fit. If Turner plays tackle in the NFL, he's better suited to the right side where he could potentially compete with Joe Barksdale as a rookie and perhaps replace him in 2015 if Barksdale isn't re-signed after the season. But Turner's long term future is probably best suited inside at guard where he compares to the Rams' Rodger Saffold in that he could be effective as a tackle but his greatest upside is inside at guard. The Rams had Turner in for a pre-draft visit and he'd be a logical fit if the Rams don't go for an offensive lineman in the first round.

He said it: Turner on where he sees his fit in the NFL -- "I think it depends on the scheme and wherever I get drafted," Turner said at the combine. "But to be honest, I was playing tackle my entire career up in North Dakota and I always wanted the chance to play guard, just because I’m a physical guy, I’m a physical run blocker, so I always wanted to get inside, get a little closer to that defender and just try to run some people over a little more than you can at the tackle position, but I was always kept at tackle because they needed me to defend the edge for our quarterback. A lot of guys I’ve talked to say they want to see me at guard, so we’ll see what happens."

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nice to hear that not all tackles see guard as a demotion.

Good read. Thanks as always RamBill.

FRO

Legend
I watched Turner against K-State and he was very impressive. I think he would be a good fit at LG for us. The kid has some athleticism and power. Good upside.

V3

Hall of Fame
I watched Turner against K-State and he was very impressive. I think he would be a good fit at LG for us. The kid has some athleticism and power. Good upside.

Was also impressed. I don't think he's limited to G, though. I think he could play OT. Either way, he'd be a solid pick in round 2 or 3.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I love the guys like Turner and Martin that can do well at tackle, but can also potentially do very well at G. Those guys that can play both positions give you versatility and can allow you no to miss a beat if you get an injury somewhere along the line like we typically do.