Rams Pro Football Focus tidbits heading into Week 12

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Looks fat to me, JMHO. Joseph-Day making more of an impact, have to give Gaines a year of strength & conditioning, but to this point, he really hasn't made an impact, but that's more because of SJD then him, however, he needs to be in better shape even for somebody like Gaines, who will always look out of shape.

It's the uni, it make him look fat. Plus being on TV adds 20 pounds.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Many doubted SJD before the season. He is proof that a good offseason workout program can make a difference. Gaines was the favorite going in but, hasn't played much. He has been effective in his limited playing time. Looking forward to watching both in the future. I think could see more playing time down the stretch to help against running teams.

I was one that was not in the SJD camp, wasnt a big fan of what i saw from him...UNTIL the SF game. Dude is legit at NT. I still think Gaines has the higher ceiling but im glad they're both on the roster.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
That's untrue.

According to PFF. (It's also worth noting that Hill didn't become a starter until Talib's injury.)

Untrue how? You are suggesting that Hill is doing this intentionally, against the playcall? Based on what?

And no, not according to PFF. That is Stats Perform advanced defensive stats data on Hill - the official NFL data.

I don't care how much games he's started. QB's are completing 50% of their passes against him. Less than 6 YPA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gaines? Haven’t heard much about him or from him, wonder how he fits in.
Like a future starting NT if needed. GG has not had many opportunities to be active he mostly on the sidelines in street clothes. Coach Henderson & Wade have used 3rd yr DT Tanzel Smart much more this season. Smart has taken all the snaps @ NT when SJD was not in & GG was inactive.

Coach Henderson uses two DL'ers frequently with 3 LB'ers, 3 safeties & 3 corners. SJD has been seen more & more playing in Wade's 2-4-5 defense.

I would think that once veteran leader starter Brockers departs that GG will play an increased role in this defense in 2020. Many members lean that SJD will be involved more in the 5 tech post with GG playing the middle NT post. GG is under 6-1/312 lbs whereas SJD is over 6-4/310 lbs, much closer to Brockers height & weight.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
can you elaborate on this?
Untrue how? You are suggesting that Hill is doing this intentionally, against the playcall? Based on what?

And no, not according to PFF. That is Stats Perform advanced defensive stats data on Hill - the official NFL data.

I don't care how much games he's started. QB's are completing 50% of their passes against him. Less than 6 YPA.

I'm suggesting that just because Hill is doing something a certain way doesn't mean Wade told him to do it that way. Wade gives his players a lot of leeway in this system. Odds are that he gives Hill a lot of leeway to decide the cushion he gives.

What I'm telling you is that my eyes tell me a different story on Hill. He gets picked on at times because he's playing too soft. I don't think he's a bad CB, but he's not a great CB either. And people are using stats to make it seem like he is. I'll be interested to see if David Long pushes him for PT. My eyes tell me that Long is stickier in coverage.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Coach Henderson uses two DL'ers frequently with 3 LB'ers, 3 safeties & 3 corners. SJD has been seen more & more playing in Wade's 2-4I would think that once veteran leader starter Brockers departs that GG will play an increased role in this defense in 2020. Many members lean that SJD will be involved more in the 5 tech post with GG playing the middle NT post. GG is under 6-1/312 lbs whereas SJD is over 6-4/310 lbs, much closer to Brockers height & weight.

Good point, i feel like ive seen SJD make more and more impact plays. I like his bull rush and his ability to drive the Center/Guard into the backfield.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm suggesting that just because Hill is doing something a certain way doesn't mean Wade told him to do it that way. Wade gives his players a lot of leeway in this system. Odds are that he gives Hill a lot of leeway to decide the cushion he gives.

What I'm telling you is that my eyes tell me a different story on Hill. He gets picked on at times because he's playing too soft. I don't think he's a bad CB, but he's not a great CB either. And people are using stats to make it seem like he is. I'll be interested to see if David Long pushes him for PT. My eyes tell me that Long is stickier in coverage.
I dont think anyone here is advocating that Hill is a GREAT cb, but rather a good to very decent one.