Rams preview: Jared Goff looks for fresh start under Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams preview: Jared Goff looks for fresh start under Sean McVay
By Lindsay H. Jones

Training camps are still in the distance, but USA TODAY Sports is providing five things you need to know about every team in the NFL to catch you up on the offseason. Today, the Los Angeles Rams ...

1. The McVay era begins

Sean McVay, the 31-year-old former offensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins, was a surprising hire, but perhaps it is fitting that one of the league’s youngest rosters also would have the youngest head coach in league history. He is tasked with changing the culture of a team that hasn’t been to the playoffs since 2004 and hasn’t had a winning record since 2003. To turn things around, McVay will need to bring fresh energy and ideas and earn the respect of his players, all while balancing the important job of calling offensive plays.

2. Goff is in control in Year 2
There will be no quarterback competition this year. The Rams will start Jared Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 draft. Goff had to wait until November to replace Case Keenum last season and struggled at times during his seven starts, throwing seven interceptions and five touchdown passes while completing less than 55% of his passes. McVay’s biggest task is to develop Goff, and the Rams spent this offseason trying to upgrade the talent around their young quarterback. The most important new pieces are veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth, 35, a longtime standout and leader with the Cincinnati Bengals, and former Southern California wide receiver Robert Woods, who could replace Kenny Britt as the Rams’ No.1 target.

3. Wade will get a warm welcome
McVay’s most important hire was longtime NFL coach Wade Phillips to lead the defense. Phillips built the Denver Broncos' defense into a top-five unit in each of his three years and helped lead that team to a championship in Super Bowl 50. Phillips has installed his 3-4 scheme, a change from the 4-3 under former head coach Jeff Fisher. That means star players will have to learn different positions. Pass rusher Robert Quinn will move to outside linebacker (picture him in a DeMarcus Ware-type role) and defensive tackle Aaron Donald will be used all over the defensive line.

4. Gurley is looking for a rebound year
Perhaps he had a sophomore slump or was affected by the team’s overall offensive struggles, but running back Todd Gurley had a dismal 2016 season. He rushed for 885 yards (and a paltry 3.2 yards per carry) and six touchdowns, disappointing numbers after his stellar offensive rookie of the year debut in 2015 (1,106 yards, 10 TDs). Gurley figures to be the focal point of the Rams offense, especially with a young quarterback. It will be interesting to see what sort of schemes McVay can concoct to keep Gurley from facing as many eight-man boxes as he did last season.

5. The battle for L.A. is on
The Rams had the Los Angeles market to themselves after relocating last year, but they will share the city after the Chargers’ move from San Diego. Los Angeles can be a fickle sports town, and the Rams will need to earn and maintain the support of fans both at the Coliseum and on television. The Rams have intriguing players to market, starting with Donald, Gurley and Goff, but improving on the field will be the key to winning the market.

Follow Lindsay H. Jones on Twitter @bylindsayhjones.

[www.usatoday.com]

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:blah::blah::blah::blah::sleepz:Nothing really new here, just a rehash of things we've heard 1000 times already!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There will be no quarterback competition this year. The Rams will start Jared Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 draft.
I always believe competition is the best way to build a team....Even if the outcome is pretty much known....Give him the #1 reps....but keep it competitive. Especially if he falters in the role.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always believe competition is the best way to build a team....Even if the outcome is pretty much known....Give him the #1 reps....but keep it competitive. Especially if he falters in the role.
Normally, I agree with that, however Goff's 1st year was so tragically mishandled, they had to basically reboot.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
After last year's debacle I don't think Goff needs any motivation. Everyone knows the situation and how they are handling the QBs this year makes sense. I also think Mannion understands his position and will be properly motivated. He is one play away.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I agree that Goff needs no further motivation. He's already got plenty, tbh.

But I see a big improvement for Goff this year. Hell, it's already started with the improved coaching, improved weapons at the skill positions, and presumed improvement in the playbook and future playcalling.

All Goff needs to do is identify his likely default receiver presnap plus find an open receiver (notice I said "an", not "the" open receiver) and get the ball somewhat near to him. These new receivers are often open when they're not open. And they catch the damned ball!

I expect a huge improvement in OL play, too.

I bet Goff can't wait for the games to begin.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He had flashes last year that made you say "okay...okay....I see it now" then within 10 minutes he left me wondering why we traded up so much...I think this offense will be much better. I thinknebhas more talent than Cousins and he looks good in McVays system.

He will need Gurley and Gurley will need him. They will feed off each others games. I, for the first time in a decade, feel confident...cautiously so...but confident.