Rams preferred Sam Howell for backup QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

methomas50

Rookie
The Seattle Seahawks surely made plenty of 12’s around the Pacific Northwest scratch their heads when they traded for former Washington Commodes quarterback Sam Howell. Some were not thrilled at the move. Whether it was being unimpressed by Howell’s play or the fact he likely signifies the Seahawks will not be drafting a top quarterback prospect, this was not a move that made many excited.

However, there was an interesting little tidbit shared recently that might change some opinions… at least a little. It turns out there was a bit of a bidding war for Howell’s services, which the Seahawks won. But who did they beat? The Los Angeles Rams.

methomas50

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Howell was actually considered a top 10 draft pick his junior year. His play fell off the following year. He has his moments but is mistake prone. Apparently Sean and Les like what they saw and think he can be turned into a solid QB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
AT LEAST THEY SAW WHAT I SAW! FUCK YOU, HAGS!

Psycho_X

Legend
Damn, I was curious what McVay could do with Howell. I think he would have benefited from sitting a year and learning from a great coach. Not sure Seahawks is a good place for him... which oh well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Damn, I was curious what McVay could do with Howell. I think he would have benefited from sitting a year and learning from a great coach. Not sure Seahawks is a good place for him... which oh well.
Ditto.

I would have liked to see him paired with McVay!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Those filthy Seattle bastids. Now watch us beat them this year with Jimmy when we rest Stafford for our playoff run.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hopefully that doesn't mean that they think this could be Staffords last yr. Maybe they draft a QB afterall?

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I wonder if the Rams plans are to continue to keep and develop Bennett? I would also like to see them take a flier on Milton in the 5th or 6th round if they are planning to move on from Bennett.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Ummm... who?
Howell…

Howell…

Oh…

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I wonder if the Rams plans are to continue to keep and develop Bennett? I would also like to see them take a flier on Milton in the 5th or 6th round if they are planning to move on from Bennett.
I'd rather Rattler or Travis personally. I don't think Milton will ever pan out, despite his enormous arm strength.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Sam the sack magnet is going to feel right at home playing behind the Shitbirds Offensive Line.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
The trade was a 3d and a 5th in exchange for the player, a 4th and a 6th.
(Pick Nos. 78, 152 for player, 102, and 179)

That's not really a big price - Rams could have offered picks 83, 154 and some fluff.
The article talks about the Rams' interest and talks about the succession plan.
Given the price, the Rams' interest and talk of a "bidding war" are probably a wee bit overstated in the article, imo.

That being said, F the Sags, F the Commodes.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Hopefully that doesn't mean that they think this could be Staffords last yr. Maybe they draft a QB afterall?
Could be they were just trying to take advantage of an opportunity that was too good to pass up.

Howell would have been a nice successor option after 2025 though. Surprised they didn't get this done.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
It sounds like the Rams were interested if the cost was “extremely low”.
The cost ended up “very low” - and the Rams seemed that too much to even go and bailed.

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
I watched Washington last year on RedZone because I fucked up and wound up with a few foreskin players on my fantasy team. I gotta say that Howell was under pressure a LOT, like an embarrassing amount. I'm surprised the guy is still alive.

If MVP imposter Purdy had played in Washington, the dude would be dead, like literally without life. RIP Purdy.

I'm curious to see how he'd do if he had to step in for Geno Smith. I thought Howell showed some poise and serious thoughness playing for that circus they call a football team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am ok with Jimmy and no pick impact. Howell is more stable but the difference in the two is not significant.