Rams Practice Report 9/18: Preparing for Cousins, Washington

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 9/18: Preparing for Cousins, Washington
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-918-Preparing-for-Cousins-Washington/4f26cece-e9e6-4e47-b058-1a8510d194b7

Last week, the Rams used a complete team performance to defeat the Seahawks in the season opener. On Friday, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said he was pleased with the way his unit performed.

“When we’re playing that tight coverage and we’re forcing them to do the right kind of things there, the pass rush has got to help the coverage and those guys can do an awful lot of good things in the pass rush,” Williams said. “It’s fun for me to have the chance where I don’t have to pressure as much.”

“But I can’t not pressure,” he added with a wry smile. “We’ll always pressure.”

While the Rams got to Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson for six sacks, Williams said there were certainly aspects of the performance the team can improve upon this week.

“I thought we upper-body tackled way too much in that ball game,” Williams said, “but we brought a lot of people to the point.”

St. Louis’ defense will have to attack running back Alfred Morris in a similar manner. Williams said tackling low and gang tackling will be key to slowing down Morris, who had 121 yards on 25 carries last week.

“He’s another great running back,” Williams said.

The defensive coordinator also had praise for Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins. Williams called him a smart QB, who has been executing head coach Jay Gruden’s scheme well.

“We’re going to have to try and disrupt the timing of things as much as we can,” Williams said. “Any quarterback becomes more human when you can disrupt the timing of it and try to move him off the spot in the pocket.”

Two of the players who will be integral in doing so are defensive tackles Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers. Donald, of course, was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for recording 11 tackles and 2.0 sacks against the Seahawks.

“Aaron played very well and I think he’d be the first to tell you -- don’t take this the wrong way --but he thinks he can play better,” Williams said. “That’s why it’s fun to coach him.”

“There are always things you can fix, and you try to build off the things you did right,” Donald said after Friday’s practice. “At the same time, I’m paying attention to the things I did wrong and trying to fix them. So, like I said, I still don’t feel like I’ve played my best football yet.”

The defensive coordinator was quick to give credit to Brockers as well.

“An unsung hero that’s kind of going unnoticed this week, is kind of how well Michael Brockers played,” Williams said. “Michael Brockers has been playing outstanding and allows Aaron to even have more freedom to do the things that he can do that I can’t coach.”

“He’s the guy in there doing all the dirty work,” Donald said of Brockers. “We’re always talking to each other. We watch film with each other a lot. We have a lot of chemistry together, and we can do some special things as a defensive tackle unit and as a team overall.”

One other player Williams talked about on Friday is safety Mark Barron. Picked up in a trade with Tampa Bay in the middle of last season, the Alabama product now has a full offseason with St. Louis under his belt. And based on the way Williams described his play, it shows.

The defensive coordinator started with one word when asked about Barron: “Wow.”

“Not only can he play the safety position, he can play the linebacker position,” Williams said. “He basically plays like a linebacker because he has the size and the strength and the burst to do that, too. And then he does a lot of the things that a nickel and a safety does.

“I thought he played very, very well,” Williams continued, “and I’m challenged each and every week to make sure I give him enough reps.”

INJURY UPDATES

The running back position should have some of its depth restored between Tre Mason (thigh) and Todd Gurley (knee). Though both are listed as questionable, Fisher said he expects Mason will play, and Gurley will be a game-time decision.

“We’ll see how things go during the warm-ups,” Fisher said. “The two situations are completely different. You’ve got a guy coming off a season-ending ACL injury, and you’ve got a guy coming off a three-week hamstring, so they’re completely different. But they both practiced full speed the last two days, which would reflect Wednesday and today. So that’s encouraging.”

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson has passed the concussion protocol tests, and has been medically cleared to play. He’s listed as probable.

Linebacker Daren Bates (knee) was a full participant in practice all week and is listed as probable. He should slide in on special teams for Chase Reynolds (knee) who will be out this week. Defensive end Eugene Sims (knee) will also be out on Sunday.

GURLEY WATCH

While Fisher said whether or not Gurley plays will be a game-time decision, the running back said Friday he will not lobby the coaches or training staff to get out there.

“I won’t do any of that,” Gurley said Friday. “We will come to an agreement and talk about it and go from there.”

Still, if the running back does play, he knows taking that first carry will be special.

“It’s definitely going to be an exciting moment,” Gurley said. “I’ve been waiting for this moment my whole life, and it’s definitely coming soon. I’m just excited to be a part of the Rams organization and when that time comes and I play, I’ll be happy.”

FEATS OF STRENGTH

Donald’s work ethic is well known, as it’s one of the factors that has made him dominant with his level of experience in the league. On Friday, he told reporters just how hard he’d been working in the offseason. He began the period benching 460 pounds. That, as you could probably guess, increased. By a lot.

“I came back a lot stronger,” Donald said. “I bench 500 pounds, my squat is probably 700-plus pounds.”

One reporter then quipped Donald could be the strongest on the team, to which the defensive tackle replied, “I’m pretty strong, but I don’t know about the strongest. We are all pretty strong.”

How did the 2014 Defensive Rookie of the Year make all those gains?

“I worked my butt off,” Donald said. “I stayed in the weight room, conditioned myself, worked on my get off and explosiveness. Just watching film on myself to try and fix things that I felt like I struggled with last year.”

With Donald always striving to improve, there could be plenty more Defensive Player of the Week awards in his future.

jjab360

Legend
One other player Williams talked about on Friday is safety Mark Barron. Picked up in a trade with Tampa Bay in the middle of last season, the Alabama product now has a full offseason with St. Louis under his belt. And based on the way Williams described his play, it shows.

The defensive coordinator started with one word when asked about Barron: “Wow.”

“Not only can he play the safety position, he can play the linebacker position,” Williams said. “He basically plays like a linebacker because he has the size and the strength and the burst to do that, too. And then he does a lot of the things that a nickel and a safety does.

“I thought he played very, very well,” Williams continued, “and I’m challenged each and every week to make sure I give him enough reps.”
I was really impressed with Barron Sunday, if he keeps playing like that, he'll be a priority re-sign this offseason, imo.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams RBs Todd Gurley, Tre Mason listed as questionable
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-todd-gurley-tre-mason-listed-as-questionable

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- While acknowledging that his team's depth at running back is in better shape than a week ago, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher is still playing it coy when it comes to the status of backs Todd Gurley and Tre Mason.

After Friday's practice, Fisher said Gurley (knee) and Mason (hamstring) were both full participants for the second consecutive workout (Wednesday was the other, Thursday was a day off). But he also didn't offer much more other than to say that both will be listed as questionable on the official injury report. In other words, it's a toss up on whether they'll play.

"I think it looks a little better than it did last week," Fisher said. "Not that it was an issue for us because Benny [Cunningham] really carried the load for us. Both Tre and Todd practiced full with the offense this week and we have got them listed as questionable for the game, so we'll see how they are."

Last week, Fisher ruled Gurley out early on but had Mason working out in pregame before making a final decision. Ultimately, Mason joined Gurley as a pregame inactive. Fisher is again pointing to the pregame as a time for further evaluation and said the two situations aren't similar given the nature of the injuries and subsequent returns.

"We'll see how things go during the warmups," Fisher said. "The two situations are completely different. You've got a guy coming off a season-ending ACL injury and the other guy coming off a two-week hamstring, so they're completely different. But they both practiced full speed the last two days which would reflect Wednesday and today, so that's encouraging."

Asked whether the notoriously sloppy surface at FedEx Field would be a factor in the decision on Gurley, Fisher said it would not. For what it's worth, Mason still seems like a better bet to play than Gurley but clearly Fisher wants to keep the Redskins guessing for as long as possible.

Elsewhere, the Rams look to get linebacker Daren Bates (knee) and cornerback Trumaine Johnson (concussion) back in the fold for this Sunday. Johnson passed the protocol and was again a full participant Friday.

Here's the full breakdown on the injury report from the Rams:

Probable: LB Daren Bates (knee), CB Trumaine Johnson (concussion)

Questionable: RB Todd Gurley (knee), RB Tre Mason (hamstring)

Out: DE Eugene Sims (knee), RB Chase Reynolds (knee)

RamBill

Legend
RB picture still cloudy, but Johnson's a go at cornerback
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_77538d0d-f482-59c2-ad6a-97d179ccacc1.html

Looks like the Rams’ running back mystery will continue right up to Sunday in Washington. Todd Gurley (knee) and Tre Mason (hamstring) were both full participants Friday, the last full-scale day of the practice week.

Coach Jeff Fisher has listed both players at questionable on the team’s official injury report. The questionable designation, by NFL definition, means a player has a 50-50 chance of participating in that week’s game. But Fisher didn’t tip his hand.

“Well, I think it looks a little better than it did last week, not that it was an issue for us because Benny (Cunningham) really carried the load for us (against Seattle),” Fisher said.

“We’ll see how things go during the warm-ups. The two situations are completely different. You’ve got a guy coming off a season-ending ACL injury (Gurley), and you’ve got a guy coming off a three-week hamstring (Mason). But they both practiced full speed the last two days, so that’s encouraging.”

The grass field at FedEx Field is far from the league’s best surface, but Fisher said that would have no impact on his decision to use — or not use — either player.

While the running back position remains somewhat in flux, there is clarity at the cornerback position because Trumaine Johnson has a clear head.

After visiting with team medical officials Thursday, Johnson has passed the concussion protocol and is cleared to play against Washington. Officially, Johnson is listed as probable. He’s expected to start Sunday, which is good news for a Rams defense that has only four cornerbacks on the 53-man roster.

“He’s playing real solid,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “Last year being my first time seeing him, he had to battle through all those injuries and I don’t think I ever saw the real Trumaine.”

After a strong offseason and preseason by Johnson, Williams has a better idea of what he’s got. Before the concussion against Seattle, Johnson intercepted a Russell Wilson pass that led to a Rams field goal and a 10-7 lead.

“He’s got a long body that you can’t coach,” Williams said. “His burst and his instincts are good, too.”

Johnson also has a better understanding of how Williams likes his cornerbacks to play in his system.

“He has bought into that very well,” Williams said. “I think that staying healthy — we’ve got to continue to stay healthy — I think you’re going to see a big year out of him.”

Johnson suffered the injury making a tackle on Seattle wide receiver Chris Matthews midway through the second quarter. Johnson participated in two more plays before he left the field.

“I do not remember any of those (plays),” Johnson said Friday. “It is scary, just to look back at it and to see if I was technique-sound or let somebody beat me. Luckily they didn’t throw the ball that way.”

Johnson has been free of any symptoms, such as headaches or sensitivity to light, since Sunday, so he’s good to go and excited to get back on the field.

“This whole season, I don’t want to miss any games,” he said. “But at the same time, it’s a concussion. You’ve got to be safe with it. Take it slow. But everything worked out.”

Back at running back, things aren’t as clear cut. Just by the nature of the injury, it seems more likely that Mason returns to action Sunday than Gurley.

Fisher called Mason’s hamstring a three-week injury, and Sunday will be three weeks and a day since Mason tweaked the hamstring against Indianapolis in preseason play.

He tested the hamstring just before the Seattle contest and said: “I felt like I was pretty close. I wasn’t 100 percent, I’m not gonna lie. I feel like it was a smart decision to sit the week out, so I didn’t miss more time.”

Mason likens his body to a Lamborghini, the Italian luxury sports car.

“I feel like if I’m at a race, as soon as the race is over you gotta go right back into the pit stop,” Mason said. “I’m tuning up right now, tuning up the engine. Get a good oil change. New tires. Put a little nitrous in there.”

Mason said he went out for a test ride Friday.

“It definitely went well,” he said. “A real smooth lap around the track. So I can’t wait till Sunday.”

Which sounds like Mason is ready to go against Washington. But he added, “That’s not my job to tell.”

That’s up to Fisher, and the Rams coach obviously is engaging in some gamesmanship to keep Washington guessing until Sunday’s kickoff.

“I can’t wait,” Mason said. “I just want to be a playmaker because when the ball’s in my hand, I try to make something happen, and make something positive for this team happen.”

As for Gurley, he knows he’s close to making his NFL debut. He also knows he has gotten very few practice repetitions through the preseason and training camp, and none during the OTA practice sessions in June.

He says running doesn’t feel any different now from before the knee injury he suffered at Georgia. But adds: “I haven’t done it in a long time, so it’s just kinda getting back in the groove with everything, and getting those reps over and over. The big thing is really getting reps.”

So what would be Gurley’s answer if Fisher asks if he’s ready to play?

Gurley paused, and replied with a laugh: “I don’t know. I gotta think on that.”

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Williams uses 'song' to prepare D-line for cut-blocks

• BY JOE LYONS

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2f62acfe-5f06-52b3-b744-0f7e96e97e98.html

“Cut me, cut me, cut me, cut me, cut me...’’
An original song from Gregg Williams.
It’s a catchy little tune from the Rams’ defensive coordinator and has been featured this week as the team’s defensive linemen prepare to face the Washington Redskins on Sunday at FedEx Field in Landover, Md.

The Redskins are a team that likes to cut-block. In fact, right guard Brandon Scherff, a highly touted rookie from Iowa, used the cut-block against four-time All-Pro Ndamukong Suh and limited Miami’s standout defensive tackle to just two tackles in the Dolphins’ 17-10 road win last week.

“That’s the little song that goes off in my head when I see them on the ground,’’ Williams joked after practice Friday at Rams Park. “We rep that every day, not only for this team, but every team. That’s one of the tools that offenses have, especially when you’re as dominant as a knock-back defensive line that we are. We have to understand that that’s a technique that we have to define each and every week. Some of the best ones in the business — I don’t care what kind of technique — occasionally you’re going to be on the ground. But we do not want that. We overemphasize that here. In fact, we keep a stat every single day in practice on the guys that are on the ground.”

Williams, who coached the Redskins from 2004-2007 as a defensive coordinator and assistant head coach, expects a challenge from the Washington ground game and has already noticed the influence of Bill Callahan, the Redskins’ new offensive line coach.

“They do a lot of things in the run game and that’s Bill Callahan,’’ Williams said. “I think he’s one of the best, if not the best, offensive line coaches in the league. (Rams’ defensive line coach) Mike Waufle knows him very well, too, and we see his influence. We see ... them adopting his run game (and) we’re going to have to be very solid.’’

The Washington run game features fourth-year back Alfred Morris, who ran 25 times for 121 yards last week against Miami.

“He’s another great back, another explosive, upper-body running back,’’ Williams said. “We saw one of the best in the league last week (in Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch) and I thought we upper-body tackled way too much in that ballgame. But we (also) brought a lot of people to the point.

“We’re going to have to do the same thing: bring a lot of people to the point on this guy. ... For the most part, we’re going to have to be downstairs’’ (against Morris).

BATES SET FOR DEBUT

After sitting out the Seattle game with a knee injury suffered during the preseason, linebacker and special teams ace Daren Bates expects to make his 2015 debut against the Redskins.

“I can’t wait,’’ he said after Friday’s practice. “It hurt not being out there, but I just had to get my mind right and try to be the best coach and cheerleader I could be.’’
Voted as a special teams captain for the first time, Bates did go out for the coin toss against Seattle.

Being named captain “wasn’t expected at all,’’ the third-year pro from Auburn said. “It caught me by surprise, but I’m pleased and I’m happy. I just want to go out and make plays, just like I’ve tried to do since I got here.’’

Bates’ return to the lineup is nicely timed with fellow special-teams leader Chase Reynolds out with a knee injury of his own.

“I’d rather Chase was out there with us, too, but he’ll be back soon,’’ Bates said.
Fisher added: “‘Batesie’ practiced full; he’s listed probable. He plugs right in for Chase, which is good.’’

Bates pushed himself in the days leading up to the Seattle game and even went through a pregame test to try to sway Fisher.

“But he wasn’t havin’ it,’’ the former undrafted free agent said, smiling. “He wanted me to wait the extra week and I’m glad I did. The extra time off did wonders. There’s no pain, no nothing. I’m 100 percent.’’

RAM-BLINGS
The Rams’ Friday injury report listed RB Reynolds (knee) and DE Eugene Sims (knee) out, Bates and CB Trumaine Johnson (concussion) probable and RBs Tre Mason (hamstring) and Todd Gurley (knee) questionable.

RamBill

Legend
Gregg Williams: QB’s Become Human When You Disrupt Their Timing

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams talks after Friday’s practice. (8:15)

Watch Williams Presser