Rams Practice Report 8/1: First Day in Pads-Special Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 8/1: First Day in Pads

By Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

Though OTAs and the first two days of training camp give a little taste, it doesn’t truly feel like football until the pads come on.

That’s what happened at Monday morning’s Rams practice, which lasted about an hour and focused solely on special teams.

The club has run the first day in pads like this for the last few years. It’s a way not only to get players acclimated to wearing the equipment for the first time in around eight months, but also foster competition.

And perhaps most importantly, it’s an opportunity to see which players who may fly under the radar in other situations have good special-teams skills.

“We’ve had success over the past couple of years finding undrafted rookie free agents [who can make the 53-man roster] in these types of practices,” special teams coordinator John Fassel said after the session. “I thought we got through pretty clean with soft tissues and all that. And guys competed. We’ll check the film out and probably find a couple hidden gems like we’ve been able to do the last couple of years.”

Fassel named players such as Benny Cunningham, Chase Reynolds, Cody Davis, and Bradley Marquez as individuals who have emerged from this particular practice. Fassel said the session is important because it allows the team brass to take a look at players in situations they might not have faced before.

“The thing is, in college, there’s not a lot of special teams film on a lot of these guys … because they don’t play special teams,” Fassel said. “So to see them in a full-speed, lots-of-space environment is new for them. And that’s when you get exposed in a good or bad way.”

There are a few traits Fassel looks for in person and on film from this practice that show who might excel on the unit.

“You’re looking for guys that can run,” Fassel said. “I love to see guys that use the techniques we’ve been working on all OTAs — which have been unpadded — and the last two days. And that’s all we’ve done, is we’ve worked on the techniques that hopefully will help them out today.

“So who’s doing the right thing, who’s fighting and scrapping, who shows that they can run, and who’s also being smart about not committing penalties and those types of things,” Fassel continued. “They stand out.”

Drawing the right kind of attention is important, because the ability to contribute in this area can be a determining factor for those on the fringes of making the roster. As is well known, head coach Jeff Fisher makes having strong special teams units a priority.

“If it’s a toss up at a certain position offensively or defensively, then the trump card is special teams,” Fassel said. “And we’ve been fortunate the last couple of years that coach Fisher recognizes that and picks a guy out that looks like he might have the potential to play 25 snaps a game on special teams.”

We’ll have to see who this year’s Marquez or Cam Lynch might be. But they likely will have made a strong impression on Day 3 of camp.

HONORING A FRIEND

Late in the evening of July 23, a tragic car accident took the lives of Mike Sadler and Sam Foltz. Sadler was a punter at Michigan State and had enrolled as a student at Stanford Law. Foltz, also a punter, was entering his senior year at Nebraska.

Both were attending a kicking clinic in Wisconsin when they died.

Rams punter Johnny Hekker was a friend of Sadler’s and has been mourning the loss. The two met doing summer punting camps down in Alabama with renowned kicking coach Mike McCabe and trained together for about five years.

“I met Mike when he was going into his freshman year at Michigan State,” Hekker said on Monday. “He just could light up a room. Had more wit than an entire SNL cast. Was so smart, but didn’t really flex his brain too much unless he had to. And, man, was just always silly. Always silly and could just light up a room. But was very diligent, hard working when times called for it.”

To pay tribute his friend, Hekker has been wearing No. 3 instead of his own No. 6 during training camp practices.

“I just couldn’t help but ask coach if I could wear the number just to honor him during camp because it means that much to me, and Mike was a really special person,” Hekker said.

“You think about all the lives he touched and Sam touched — they squeezed a lot of life into the years that they were here,” Hekker added. “They were a blessing to be around. And their legacy is going to live on through a lot of people.”

Including Hekker himself.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rookies Duke Williams and Aaron Green stand out in special teams practice

By Steve Dilbeck

[espn.go.com]

IRVINE, Calif. -- Special teams isn't the glory way to make an NFL team. It's not the road taken by high draft picks or big-time free agents.

It's something of a backdoor, a way to earn an NFL roster spot far from the spotlight, when only coaches a few players are really watching.

The Los Angeles Rams had their first practice in pads Monday, but it was for special teams only. A time for those desperate to make a roster to demonstrate toughness, speed and plain effort.

"That's how players make the team, especially young guys," cornerback Trumaine Johnson said. "This is the most exciting practice for me, to see what young guys step up.

"It's the first day in pads, so you know it's going to be physical. It was fun out here to seem some young guys get to work."

Many a successful player began his NFL career shedding blockers or clearing paths for returners, and then went on to individual success. When it comes time to make those final cuts, a player who has stood out in special teams is often going to earn the nod.

Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel said coach Jeff Fisher has consistently made an ability to play on punts and kicks a priority in personnel decisions.

"If it's a toss-up at a certain position -- offensively or defensively -- then the trump card is special teams," Fassel said. "We've been fortunate the last couple of years that coach Fisher recognized that and picks the guy out who looks like might have the potential to play 25 snaps a game on special teams. Three, four, five guys a year find that role and then perform."

A couple may have singled themselves out Monday, particularly with a one-on-one drill with a blocker lining up next to a player pursing a dummy returner. Receiver Duke Williams and running back Aaron Green -- both rookie free agents -- had nice moments.

"I liked Duke," Johnson said. "A big receiver. I like Duke a lot. I was about to go out there at one time and go get him."

Tavon Austin, who is 5-foot-8, was impressed by Duke and Green, who's listed at 5-11.

"Duke is kind of a quiet guy," Austin said. "With pads on, he was loud today.

"And 36, the running back (Green), he showed me. He's really short, but he fights. Just like 2-0 (5-8 defensive back Lamarcus Joyner) and myself."

Johnson was selected in the third round of the 2012 draft, but still came to camp hoping to win a spot on special teams.

"I came to the league and my mindset was to play special teams," he said. "I took pride in that."

Austin said he could clearly remember his first day in pads when players tried to separate themselves on special teams.

"There are people waiting to see who has some fight in them," he said.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams Special Teams Coordinator Coach John Fassel – Post-Special Teams Practice – August 1, 2016

(Opening Remarks)

“Hey everybody. Hell of a workout. I just want to start by saying that this is a tradition that (Head) Coach (Jeff Fisher) ‘Fish’ started, and now our fifth year we kicked off training camp in full pads with special teams practice. We’ve had success over the past couple years finding undrafted rookie free agents in these types of practices. It’s just a chance for us to see guys compete, use the techniques that we’ve practiced in OTAs, which we felt we finished on a really high note. But, to put the pads on is a different ball game. So, to see that today, I think we got through pretty clean; the soft tissues and all of that, and guys competed. We’ll check the film out and probably will find a couple hidden gems, like we’ve been able to do the last couple years. It’s a lot of fun.”

(On if any players stood out in particular while watching film of special teams drills)

“A couple linebackers always seem to, kind of, stand out. Guys that are late round draft picks or undrafted guys that are real scrappy and hungry. We’ve had some success with some running backs being, kind of like bonus guys on teams. Probably unfair to say right now until I see the film, but there’s always a couple guys that we don’t really know much about, other than a little bit of college. But the thing is, in college there’s not a lot of special teams film on a lot of these guys, because they don’t play special teams. To see them in a full-speed, lots of space environment is new for them, and that’s when you get exposed in a good or bad way.”

(On the type of quality he expects to see from the players in special teams drills)

“We’re looking for guys that can run. I love to see guys that use the techniques we’ve been working on all of OTAs, which have been unpadded in the last two days. And that’s all we’ve done, is that we’ve worked on the techniques that hopefully help them out today. Who’s doing the right thing, who’s fighting and scrapping, and who shows that they can run, and who’s also being smart about not committing penalties, and those types of things.”

(On the types of special teams players he has found in the past)

“(RB Benny Cunningham, (RB Chase Reynolds, (TE) Cory Harkey, (S) Cody Davis, (LB Daren Bates, who went to Oakland this year, (CB Marcus Roberson, (S) Maurice Alexander. Last year, (LB Cam Lynch, undrafted, (WR) Bradley Marquez, undrafted, (LB Bryce Hager, seventh-round. Those are the guys that have stood out and have made the team, and then performed well enough in games to stick. So, I probably left a few guys out. But, it’s usually the guys you don’t know much about. Not the first and the second or third-round draft picks. So, you know, tough dudes.”

(On thoughts about WR Duke Williams and TE Tyler Higbee)

“Yeah, pretty good. You know, great size. Again, a couple guys that haven’t performed on teams in college. So, it’s great to see them do something that’s new for them and unique kind of to the sport. So, they’re looking pretty sharp.”

(On if the decision of cutting a player is determined by their performance on special teams)

“Yeah, the thing with Coach Fisher is that there’s a priority, maybe the last couple choices, on completing that roster. If it’s a toss-up at a certain position, offensive or defensively, then the trump card is special teams. We’ve been fortunate the last couple of years that Coach Fisher recognizes that and picks the guy out that looks like he might have some potential to play 25 snaps a game on special teams. I think, you know, three, four, five guys a year find that role, and then perform.”

(On the stance of special teams regarding strengths, weaknesses, and areas of improvement)

“I think, you know, our punting, kicking, snapping game is excellent. Benny and (WR) Tavon (Austin) I think have been really successful the last couple of years returning kicks. We’ve got tough guys that can run and cover. We need to cut out some penalties in our return game. That’s probably kept us from being one of the best. A couple big punt returns, a couple big kick returns that might called back. So, we can eliminate some of the penalties, which we’ve been always practicing, but it’s tough. And I think that’s one of the biggest things that can help us improve field position.”

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I keep forgetting the Rams signed Duke. I hope he makes the team. He has the talent to be a number 1.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Rookies Duke Williams and Aaron Green stand out in special teams practice

"I liked Duke," Johnson said. "A big receiver. I like Duke a lot. I was about to go out there at one time and go get him."
"Duke is kind of a quiet guy," Austin said. "With pads on, he was loud today.
"And 36, the running back (Green), he showed me. He's really short, but he fights. Just like 2-0 (5-8 defensive back Lamarcus Joyner) and myself."

Too good to be TRUE.... A Duke sighting? and A. Green the dynamic little RB making a splash early on the SP Teams...

Sometimes when players get the pads on and even more so in live games, they show and look way better than their practice film.. It's like they have a special switch that flips on and off

tumblr_nawbn4KSCp1s02vreo1_500.gif

Last edited:

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Interesting report on Duke Williams.

I thought he was not motivated yesterday, not finishing off pass routes, just going through the motions so to speak.

Now he has on pads and a new animal emerges.

Interesting ....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It really does take a special player to perform well on special teams. Must be why they named em Special.

Ram65

Legend
Fun camp because there are lots of competitions withlow and undrafted players. Could be some up and down days for these guys.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Simmons is starting to win me over.

@Faceplant called him "squeaky" when he first started, (which I lol'd at, and agreed with), but have kept reading him, and I think he's getting better.

(Unlike Wagoner).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I heard today on NFLN that tomorrow will be the1st day the "Full Team will be in Pads!(y);)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Glad to hear that Duke had a strong practice and the fact that it's teams is a big help for his chances. Hope it continues and he gets rid of those drops, because he does have significant talent. Just because I doubt the guy doesn't mean I'm not rootin for him.

Green also is interesting. If the Rams keep 4 having him on the bottom of that roster at RB along with some change of pace ability would be good for the team. So hope he keeps it up.

Competition is the key across this offense. Need lots of these guys to step up and make Fish's cuts painful. Whoever is left when the dust settles will be much better because of it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Simmons is starting to win me over.

@Faceplant called him "squeaky" when he first started, (which I lol'd at, and agreed with), but have kept reading him, and I think he's getting better.

(Unlike Wagoner).
Yeah, his voice still grinds on me a bit, but his writing is very good. He has a voice made for print, haha.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Getting ready to head out. Any tips? Best vantage points for pic? One field over the other? Parking tips? Figured I'd just shoot for the nearest structure. Thanks...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too good to be TRUE.... A Duke sighting? and A. Green the dynamic little RB making a splash early on the SP Teams...

Sometimes when players get the pads on and even more so in live games, they show and look way better than their practice film.. It's like they have a special switch that flips on and off
It seems that is true no matter the era....Some guys pop up, when the lights are on....If you watched clips of Duke, he's a tough SOB...he looks like a big slot type wr...tough...never figured him for a hitter, but tough to bring down for sure...

I thought he was not motivated yesterday, not finishing off pass routes, just going through the motions so to speak.
Your camp report had me ready to cut Duke today...lol...probably nerves...or doesn't get the playbook yet...I bet his drops made Groh get those 2 new wrs....He's not finished yet, but if he's not catching the rock consistently soon, he'll still be cut, no matter how well he plays teams....

Of all the wr's that shined in yesterday's ST's practice, I would have figured it would be Marquez North...he's physical too...but I see...the proof is in the pudding....

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It seems that is true no matter the era....Some guys pop up, when the lights are on....If you watched clips of Duke, he's a tough SOB...he looks like a big slot type wr...tough...never figured him for a hitter, but tough to bring down for sure...

Your camp report had me ready to cut Duke today...lol...probably nerves...or doesn't get the playbook yet...I bet his drops made Groh get those 2 new wrs....He's not finished yet, but if he's not catching the rock consistently soon, he'll still be cut, no matter how well he plays teams....

Of all the wr's that shined in yesterday's ST's practice, I would have figured it would be Marquez North...he's physical too...but I see...the proof is in the pudding....
I found this on a different site. Sorry if it was already posted.

2016 Los Angeles Rams Training Camp: Tru and Tavon Taking Notice of Duke Williams
By Sean Wilkinson  @Papa_Lurch on Aug 1, 2016, 4:44p

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
After five drops on the opening day of practice, the Rams WR earned kudos from several prominent Rams players.

Duke Williams was somewhat of a surprise addition to the Los Angeles Rams following his tryout at the team's rookie minicamp. His physical traits have rarely come into question - which likely had a hand in his signing - but 'red flags' about his character caused him to fall completely out of the draft. (More on that in his roster preview if you're interested)

After two practices, he's already garnering some attention at training camp. Trumaine Johnson knows a thing or two about covering WRs, and Williams has jumped out to Tru early in camp.

That's been Williams' calling card throughout his collegiate and brief intro into the NFL: he's a big, explosive athlete. That being said, he had a tough opening day at UC Irvine.

Some fans were questioning why Tru was taking notice. Vincent Bonsignore summed it up about as perfectly as you can.

HE GETS OPEN. That's more than most Rams WRs can say for themselves.

While this is worth taking note of, remember we're only two days into camp. Take everything with a grain of salt at this point. There's a chance the Rams struck gold here, but there is also the chance that this putters out. With luck, Williams will clear it up with his play next weekend.2016 Los Angeles Rams Training Camp: Tru and Tavon Taking Notice of Duke Williams
By Sean Wilkinson  @Papa_Lurch on Aug 1, 2016, 4:44p 21