Rams Practice Report 12/4: Defending an Explosive Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 12/4: Defending an Explosive Offense

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Practice-Report-124-Defending-an-Explosive-Offense/71954400-99c8-4aec-9333-39e88c2907d3

Since head coach Bruce Arians and quarterback Carson Palmer arrived, the Cardinals’ offense has been known for its ability to create explosive plays. This season, Arizona leads the league with 57 plays of at least 20 yards -- 49 via pass and eight via run. With those numbers, Palmer is No. 1 in both yards per attempt (8.8) and yards per completion (13.8).

Arizona’s penchant for explosive plays can be a challenge for any team to defend, and will be for the Rams on Sunday.

“We’ve had a couple of really big time offenses we’ve had to go against this year and I’m looking forward to our opportunity again this year,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said after Friday’s practice. “Our guys understand the personnel because it’s within our division. They understand that aspect of it. So now, it’s going out and understanding leverage, understanding space, what they’re trying to do, where they’re trying to create their opportunity to move the ball. Can our guys defend it? We’ll see.”

Palmer in particular is playing quite well leading the offense. He’s completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 3,337 yards with 27 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His 7.1 percent touchdown rate also tops the NFL.

“I’ve been very impressed with how accurate of a thrower he is,” Williams said. “He’s done a very good job of moving around, buying extra time. If he has a concept in mind that he wants to do -- boom -- he goes ahead and does it. He’s done a very good job on being consistent.”

“Carson, to me, you look back at last year at what happened once he got hurt, where they went -- Drew Stanton tried to do a good job to carry the ship, but they're just not the same without Carson out there,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “He's playing at a very high level. I have a lot of respect for him.”

Undoubtedly Arians is a significant factor in Palmer’s success. It’s the third season the two have worked together in the desert, and Arians said this week Palmer is playing as well as anyone he’s ever coached.

“The guy is a workaholic,” Arians said. “He knows how he learns. I think we’ve all learned how he learns, so we can teach him better. That’s why the growing pains when you get an older quarterback and you have to learn really how he learns. I think now we’ve got a system in place where he’s prepared every ball game, and it’s get the other 10 guys around him on the same page with him.”

But the key to getting to that point with a coach and quarterback, according to Arians, is having a great sense of trust.

“You have to have communication every day because you’re tied at the hip,” Arians said. “Your job is depending on him. You’ve got to have trust in a relationship, whether it’s honesty going back and forth and accountability back and forth.”

The kind of season Palmer is having does soften the blow of losing starting running back Chris Johnson to a fractured tibia. Johnson was placed on IR with a designation to return a few days ago after suffering the injury against San Francisco in Week 12. Fellow running back Andre Ellington has already been declared out for Sunday’s matchup with turf toe. And so rookie David Johnson is likely to be the first man up in the backfield this weekend.

“David is more than ready,” Arians said. “When Andre was hurt, he played a bunch in the previous game, although it wasn’t his best game. We feel very confident he’s more than ready.”

A third-round pick out of Northern Iowa, David Johnson leads the team with eight total touchdowns. The rookie caught four passes for 63 yards -- including a 23-yard touchdown -- and had 18 yards rushing on three carries when the Rams faced the Cardinals in October.

“He played well and got all of our attention the last time we played them,” Williams said. “Our guys have a lot of respect for him. He’s very powerful. He’s got some shiftiness to him when he needs to. But, he’s a very good receiver in the passing game too. Not only does he do everything they want in the running game, but when you put the ball in his hands, he’s made some big plays in the passing game. I don’t think they’re going to miss a beat.”

“Earlier in the year when we played them, they used him a lot -- kind of in their empty third down stuff,” Laurinaitis said. “He runs a lot of routes for them in their no-back stuff.”

No matter who is at running back, the Cardinals are likely to move the ball and score points. That’s why clamping down and playing strong red-zone defense -- like the Rams played the last time these two teams squared off -- will be of particular importance in Sunday’s contest.

“We spend an inordinate amount of time in the red zone also throughout the course of the week. Learned that a long time ago,” Williams said. “We’ve got to take the ball away. Got to play stout against the run, but you’ve got to do a great job in the red zone, got to do a great job on third down.”

“When you’re playing an offense like this, I mean, field goals are wins,” Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said. “We’ve said that before. Field goals are wins for your defense. We have to get off the field on occasion on third down. We keep Carson on their sideline, then we have a chance.”

INJURY REPORT

As Fisher said on Thursday, the Rams will start Nick Foles at quarterback against Arizona. Case Keenum was limited once again in Friday’s practice, and is listed as questionable for the game.

“We’ll see how he is tomorrow and make a decision on whether he’s [No.] two or [No.] three [at quarterback],” If he’s two, he’s been completely cleared and ready to play. If he’s two, he’s two because he’s been cleared, one, and two, he hasn’t had sufficient reps to practice during the week.”

If Keenum is inactive, then Sean Mannion would serve as the backup quarterback.

Elsewhere on the injury report, right tackle Rob Havenstein (calf) is probable. Offensive lineman Andrew Donnal (knee) is out. Greg Zuerlein (right hip), Trumaine Johnson (thigh), and Robert Quinn (back) are all listed as doubtful.

Quinn’s injury has had plenty of ripple effects along the D-line, as it would for any team missing a player who recorded a franchise season record for sacks. But Fisher gave plenty of credit to Eugene Sims, who has started in Quinn’s stead.

“We miss him, but Eugene’s playing well out there and the other guys are rushing hard,” Fisher said. “[Quinn’s] a difference maker. He’s one of those guys that can change the game at any point in the game. So, definitely, we miss him, but as most teams miss their Pro Bowl quality players.”

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald did say this week it seems like teams are paying him a little more attention on the inside in Quinn’s absence.

“A lot more double teams -- not much I can do about that but just keep playing,” Donald said. “Anytime you lose a playmaker it's going to be tough. He's a guy that's a leader and makes a lot of plays for us. Other guys just have to step up, continue to do what we've been doing.”

“It's impossible to replace Robert,” Laurinaitis said. “The duo of Aaron's quickness inside and Robert's speed rush -- if Robert gets around the corner the quarterback has to step up and Aaron is in his face. If Aaron gets pressure up the middle, the quarterback has to flush out and Robert is there to get him. It's such a deadly combo that when you miss one half of it, it affects the whole rotation, and snaps, and all that as well. Hopefully, we get Rob back soon.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Key players could again be out vs. Cardinals
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_405da39c-c5da-58ad-a350-352c9d8cb7ed.html

It appears the Rams will again be without defensive end Robert Quinn, cornerback Trumaine Johnson and kicker Greg Zuerlein when they take on the red-hot Arizona Cardinals at noon Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

The team’s Friday injury report listed Quinn (back), Johnson (thigh) and Zuerlein (right hip) as doubtful for the NFC West showdown. In NFL terms, doubtful means there is just a 25 percent chance of playing Sunday.

None of the three players practiced this week.

Quinn, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, started the season’s first seven games, sat a week and then saw limited action against Chicago. He was inactive for recent games at Baltimore and at Cincinnati. Sixth-year pro Eugene Sims has been filling in for Quinn.

Johnson, in the midst of perhaps his best season, was injured on an interception return in Baltimore and did not play in last week’s 31-7 road loss to the Bengals. Marcus Roberson, a second-year pro, stepped in against Baltimore and started in the Cincinnati game.

Zuerlein suffered a strained hip flexor a couple of days before the Cincinnati game. A day before that contest, the team signed free agent kicker Zach Hocker, a University of Arkansas product who began the season with the New Orleans Saints.

Zuerlein “did not kick (Friday), so it’ll probably be a game-time decision,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after Friday’s workout at Rams Park. “Zach kicked well, kicked off well (Friday), so we’ll see.’’

Quarterback Case Keenum was limited in practice Friday and still has not cleared the concussion protocol. He’s listed as questionable, which is 50-50.

On Thursday, Fisher named Nick Foles as the starter at quarterback.

Tackle Rob Havenstein, the team’s second-round draft pick last May, went through another full workout Friday and is listed probable. Havenstein started the first seven games at right tackle but has sat out three of the last four games with a calf injury.

Offensive lineman Andrew Donnal (knee) has been ruled out for Sunday.

The 9-2 Cardinals, who enter Sunday’s action riding a five-game winning streak and holding a three-game lead in the NFC West, have ruled out RB Andre Ellington (toe), CB Jerraud Powers (calf) and DT Frostee Rucker (ankle), with DT Cory Redding (ankle) doubtful. WR Michael Floyd (hamstring) is questionable.

THUMBS-UP FOR ODOM

Rams center Tim Barnes, who played at the University of Missouri from 2006-2009, thinks his alma mater made a wise choice in hiring another ex-Tiger, Barry Odom, to take over for Gary Pinkel as the Tigers’ next football coach.

“I like it. Not really that surprised since Pinkel helped with the search and likes to promote from within,’’ the fourth-year pro said. “You know that Odom was probably going to be a head coach somewhere this year, so why not Mizzou? I know him personally; he’s a good guy and I’m excited for him.’’

Barnes continued: “You want to keep good people in the program, especially when they have good track records. (Odom) hasn’t been here the whole time. He left and went to Memphis and had success there before coming back. Seems like (Memphis) wanted him back, so I think it’s a good choice by Missouri.’’

GOLDEN SHINES

Drafted by the Cardinals in the second round of last spring’s draft, former Affton High and Mizzou standout Marcus Golden had played in all 11 games and made three starts at linebacker for Arizona this season.

The 6-foot-3, 260-pound Golden has 24 tackles, including three for loss. He leads the Cardinals with 13 quarterbacks hits, is second with 2½ sacks and is tied for second with 11 quarterback pressures. He’s also forced a fumble this season.

“I love him,’’ Arizona free safety Tyrann Mathieu said earlier in the week. “I love his energy, I love his passion. He’s getting to the quarterback for us; that’s something we definitely need to keep improving on. We need some other guys to step up and get to the quarterback. Marcus is doing a great job. To say he’s a rookie and he has to learn so much, he’s doing a great job just making football plays.’’

NFL PUNT, PASS & KICK

Before Sunday’s game with the Cardinals, qualifiers age 6-15 from throughout Missouri and Illinois will compete in the NFL Pass, Punt & Kick competition. The action begins at 8 a.m. in five age divisions for boys and girls, with the top scorer in each age group crowned team champion and eligible for the national championships to be held at Colts vs. Titans game on Jan. 3, 2016.

All competitors will be recognized during Sunday’s pregame.

NFL Punt, Pass & Kick began in 1961 and is the nation’s largest grassroots sports skills competition. Among those who’ve participated are Hall of Fame quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Dan Marino.

MESSAGE FROM BAILEY

On Friday, Rams wide receiver Stedman Bailey issued a message via Twitter:

To my entire Rams family, especially my teammates, fans and peers, I thank you so much for your continued prayers and support. My recovery has been nothing short of a miracle (a work of God) and I can only give God the praise, glory and honor for what he is doing in my life at this time. Christmas is a holiday in which Jesus was born as a gift to the world but in all honesty, he has given me and my family a gift which is far greater than what any man can give, a restoration of my life and health. I will continue to get better day by day until I’m able to get back on the field and I ask for your continued prayers.

Love, Stedman Bailey.