Rams Practice Report 12/15: Offense on a Short Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 12/15: Offense on a Short Week

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1215-Offense-on-a-Short-Week/509b62f1-d05b-4058-82ee-3a6f4a7fb761

With the contest against the Buccaneers just a couple days away, the Rams have had to cram a lot into a little bit of time. It’s a challenge that’s keeping Rob Boras up at night once again, now in his second week since assuming the duties of offensive coordinator.

“This week’s really short. This is a hard turnaround,” Boras said. “Doesn’t matter if you’ve been doing this for 20 years as a coordinator or six days -- these Thursdays are hard.”

Head coach Jeff Fisher thought enough of Boras’ performance as a playcaller last week to give him a game ball, an honor Boras said speaks more about the team than just himself.

“I like living in anonymity,” Boras said. “To me, that was for all of us. The whole offensive staff was unbelievable. The players were unbelievable. Obviously, personally, there’s a lot of pride with that. But that’s just a compliment to how everybody stepped up.”

The reviews were positive from St. Louis’ quarterback, too.

“I think he’s working his tail off,” Case Keenum said. “You look at it, it’s a pretty tough time to take over. Your quarterbacks change, and then you get a short week. So that’s two pretty tough weeks on a coordinator, and I think he’s handled it very well.”

Now the club has moved on to a Buccaneers team that sports a quality defense. It’s difficult enough to come up with install a gameplan when there’s a full week of practice, but playing on Thursday can make that process tougher. However, it also can help in keeping things simple, according to Keenum.

“For me, it keeps a lot of the clutter out,” Keenum said. “I keep things simple. I’m not really seeing ghosts. I’m watching what I watch on film, and then I’m moving on to the next thing.”

“After a full week of watching film, sometimes you can watch the same clip so much that you start seeing things that aren’t there,” Keenum added. “You start trying to read too much into a defense, or trying to see too much, or do too much. When it comes down to it, you have to trust your fundamentals, and your technique, and your reads, and just go through them.”

Still, Tampa Bay is no pushover, especially defensively. Led by linebacker Lavonte David and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, the Buccaneers have developed a quality defense that plays well in Lovie Smith’s system. The so-called “Tampa 2” defense has worked well for years, going back even further than Smith’s long tenure as the Bears’ head coach.

“They do what they do and they’re good at it," Keenum said. "And they’ve got some really good players on the front end and back end that have done really well, put some really good things on film. We’ve got our work cut out for us.”

“It’s not like they’re one of those exotic defenses that tries to fool your quarterback,” Fisher said. “They beat you by putting people in position, on their toes, ready to break, and then collapsing the pocket real quick, and the ball has to come out. That’s how his defenses have always been.”

In fact, Boras served as the Bears’ tight end coach from 2004-2009, saying Tuesday he recognizes many facets of what the Buccaneers are doing from that time.

“I went back to some of my notes from 2004 and 2005 when I was still there, and it’s a lot of the same stuff,” Boras said. “Obviously, there’s been influences with [defensive coordinator Leslie] Frazier joining him and some different things, but for the most part, it’s very similar to what we saw.”

The familiarity does work both ways. On his conference call with St. Louis media, Smith said he could tell then that Boras had potential to be an offensive coordinator.

“Rob had a wide range,” Smith said. “And a lot of times when you coach the tight ends, you’re involved with the passing game and of course you’re involved in the running game quite a bit. I know Rob was a coordinator, I think at UNLV, before that. You saw him heading in that direction.”

While coaching against an old friend could bring up fond memories, Boras said he’ll be able to handle it.

“If it was the first time I was getting the opportunity to coach against coach Smith, it’d probably be a little bit more special. But this is probably the third time I’ve coached against him since I left,” Boras said. “It’s always fun to coach against your friends and the people you respect.”

With Boras still sleep deprived given all that needs to be crammed in the short week, there likely isn’t much time for all that anyway.

ROSTER MOVE

On Tuesday, the Rams promoted defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat from the practice squad to the active roster. The rookie out of Iowa flashed plenty during training camp, which may have caught the eye of other teams across the league.

“This is the time of year when people express interest in players on your practice squad, and he had a couple opportunities,” Fisher said. “So, we went ahead and brought him up to our active roster.”

After practice, the defensive tackle said he was appreciative of the chance the Rams have given him.

“I'm excited and still working. You always have to be ready for an opportunity and I'm thankful,” Trinca-Pasat said. “I've enjoyed it, and I'm glad I get to continue the journey here.”

The young defensive lineman complimented Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, and Nick Fairley for the ways they’ve let him pick their brain.

“I've learned a lot about pass rushing while I've been here,” Trinca-Pasat said. “Just watching Donald craft his technique -- the guy is really good. In certain situations, if I'm not sure what I'm going to do or if he has defeated his guy, I like to ask him what he did, and what kind of look he got.

“He's very down to earth, he's always helping out,” Trinca-Pasat continued. “It's just a great group of defensive linemen, coaches, and it makes everything more comfortable to play and learn.”

In order to add Trinca-Pasat to the roster, the Rams cut kicker Zach Hocker.

INJURY REPORT

There were no changes to the injury report from Monday’s estimate to Tuesday’s practice.

Todd Gurley (rest), Kenny Britt (shoulder), Rob Havenstein (calf), and Janoris Jenkins (concussion) were all limited.

Fisher said Jenkins has just one more test to pass before he can be a full participant.

“He’s cleared the concussion protocol. He just had to clear the exertion phase. I’m assuming he did that today,” Fisher said. “We’ll find out this evening how he feels.”

Robert Quinn (back), Andrew Donnal (knee), and Eric Patterson (ankle) did not practice.

Also on the injury front, Fisher said Alec Ogletree could be added to the active roster soon. The linebacker has been on injured reserve/designated to return, and his 21-day window to be activated is starting to run out.

“We’re considering taking him off and activating his practice time. He’s got 21 days, which we’re running out of time, but we’re thinking about doing that on Friday,” Fisher said.

“He’s not quite ready. He’s close,” Fisher added. “The goal would be to try to see if he’s available for San Francisco. If not, then he’s got a head start on the offseason program.”

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams hopeful Janoris Jenkins will be cleared to play Thursday
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...oris-jenkins-will-be-cleared-to-play-thursday

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins isn't quite out of the concussion protocol but is one step closer, according to coach Jeff Fisher.

Jenkins again was officially listed as limited on the Rams' Tuesday injury report but was able to do enough in practice to be considered for the final test in the concussion protocol, the exertion test. That essentially means that Jenkins did strenuous enough activity for the Rams to monitor how he feels after the practice. If Jenkins feels good, he could be cleared to play Thursday night against Tampa Bay.

Fisher said an update on where Jenkins is in terms of passing the exertion test should come Wednesday.

Linebacker Alec Ogletree, who has been on the injured reserve list with the designation to return because of an ankle injury, could be returning to practice sometime after Thursday night's game. He has a 21-day window to practice in, and the Rams are running out of time. So while there's no guarantee that Ogletree will play in a game before the season is out, he could get a head start on his recovery by getting some reps in practice.

Fisher said there'd be a chance Ogletree could play in the season finale against San Francisco.

The Rams also made a couple of roster tweaks Tuesday, releasing kicker Zach Hocker and promoting defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat from the practice squad to the active roster. Linebacker Matthew Wells re-signed to the practice squad to take Trinca-Pasat's place.

Everything else remained status quo on the injury report Tuesday. Here's a look:

Did not participate -- DE Robert Quinn (back), OL Andrew Donnal (knee), CB Eric Patterson (ankle).

Limited participation -- RB Todd Gurley (rest), WR Kenny Britt (shoulder), OT Robert Havenstein (calf), CB Janoris Jenkins (concussion).

RamBill

Legend
Jameis Winston, Todd Gurley focus on winning, not awards
By Rick Brown

http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-b...-focus-on-winning-game-not-rookie-of-the-year

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston isn't looking at Thursday's matchup against St. Louis as the game to determine the Offensive Rookie of the Year race between him and Rams running back Todd Gurley.

Both players said winning the game is more important.

"It would be awesome to achieve that goal," Winston said about rookie of the year honors. "That wasn't on my goal list at the beginning of the year. My goal was to have more wins than last year. We did that. That was an important goal, not only for me but for this organization. My team is way more important than my individual success or goals. I don't focus on that type of stuff."

He has been keeping an eye on Gurley. The rookie out of Georgia is fourth in the league in rushing with 975 yards and has eight touchdowns. His five games of at least 125 yards are the most by a rookie since Eric Dickerson in 1983.

"Absolutely, that's my guy," Winston said of Gurley. "I text Gurley throughout the week, I always tell him good job. He does the same. ... We've been friends since high school. That's my guy, and I'm very happy for him."

Jameis Winston is going up against old buddy Todd Gurley on Thursday night.
Winston has led Tampa Bay (6-7) to its most wins since the Bucs went 7-9 in 2012. His 17 passing touchdowns rank second on the franchise's rookie list. His five rushing touchdowns are tied for the most by a Tampa Bay quarterback in a season. His 3,059 passing yards are the most by a rookie in team history.

"He's had a great year," Gurley said in a conference call Wednesday with the Tampa Bay media. "He's definitely my boy, so it's always good seeing him do well. We stay in contact and check up on each other, so it'll definitely be fun playing against him this Thursday -- my first time playing against him.

"We know what type of players we are," he said. "We're competitive. We don't think about all of the awards, but at the end of the day that's what comes with it. But at the end of the day, it's all about winning and trying to make a playoff run for both teams. That's just what we're thinking -- we're not really worrying about the accolades."

RamBill

Legend
Rams promote DT Trinca-Pasat from practice squad
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_26f2778e-3c77-58b4-afd9-769bfe422f02.html

Prior to practice on Monday, Rams defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat received an intriguing call from his agent.

“He told me several other teams had called about me; that definitely caught me by surprise,’’ the Chicago-area product recalled. Later that night, the Rams promoted the 6-foot-1, 292-pound rookie from the University of Iowa from the practice squad to the active roster.

“This is the time of year when people express interest in players on your practice squad,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “So we went ahead and brought him up.’’

Signed as a preferred undrafted free agent shortly after the draft last April, Trinca-Pasat played well in the preseason and re-signed with the Rams’ practice squad shortly after the cutdown to the 53-man roster.

“You work for the opportunity and when you get it, it feels good,’’ the 24-year-old Trinca-Pasat said after Tuesday’s workout at Rams Park. “It’s exciting and I’m thankful. I wanted to stay here. I love it here. There’s no other place I want to play. I want to play for the best D-line coach in the league (Mike Waufle) and we have the best players on the D-line here, so why would I want to leave that?

“Just gotta keep working and be ready for your shot. There’s a great D-line in front of me, so just being with them, I’ve learned so much and I hope to continue to learn from them.’’

To clear the roster spot for Trinca-Pasat, the Rams waived kicker Zach Hocker. Matthew Wells, a rookie linebacker from Mississippi State, was re-signed to the practice squad. Wells, who was drafted in the sixth round by New England last spring, originally signed with the Rams on Nov. 9 and was waived on Dec. 1.

GURLEY UP FOR HONORS

After rushing 16 times for 140 yards and a pair of second-half touchdowns in the Rams’ 21-14 win over visiting Detroit, rookie running back Todd Gurley is once again nominated for two of the NFL’s weekly honors.

For the fourth time this season, Gurley is a nominee for the FedEx Air and Ground Player of the Week. Others up for the honor are quarterbacks Drew Brees of New Orleans, Russell Wilson of Seattle and Eli Manning of the New York Giants and running backs Eddie Lacy of Green Bay and Cleveland’s Isaiah Crowell.

Fans are allowed to vote through Thursday at 2 p.m. at http://www.nfl.com/FedEx.

As part of the program and its commitment to serving the community, FedEx supports the American Red Cross by making weekly $2,000 donations to the local chapters of the winning players’ cities.

For the fifth time, Gurley is also up for Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week, where his competition includes Seattle wide receiver Tyler Lockett, Arizona running back David Johnson, Cleveland linebacker Nate Orchard and Philadelphia wide receiver Nelson Agholor.

Fans voting will run through 2 p.m .Friday at http://www.nfl.com/rookies.

Gurley captured the Pepsi honor following his Week 4 performance in Arizona when he rushed 19 times for 146 yards in his first NFL start and helped the visiting Rams knock off the previously unbeaten Cardinals 24-22.

INJURY REPORT

DE Robert Quinn (back), OL Andrew Donnal (knee) and CB Eric Patterson (ankle) did not practice Tuesday, with RB Todd Gurley (rest), WR Kenny Britt (shoulder), T Rob Havenstein (calf) and CB Janoris Jenkins (concussion) limited.

“Janoris practiced today ... so he had a chance (to play Thursday),’’ Fisher said.

For the Bucs, LB Bruce Carter (ankle), WR Vincent Jackson (knee), DE Akeem Spence (ankle) and G Logan Mankins (ankle) did not practice. DEs Jacquies Smith (hamstring) and George Johnson (calf) were limited. Spence played at Illinois; Smith is a Mizzou product.

Tampa Bay’s top defenders, LB Lavonte David (ankle) and DT Gerald McCoy (hand) went through full practices on Tuesday.

GAME BALL FOR TAVON

Even though it was wiped out by a holding call, the 83-yard punt return by Tavon Austin late in the third quarter netted the third-year receiver-kick returner a game ball on Sunday.

“First time I’ve ever given a player a special teams game ball for a play that didn’t count, but he deserved it, as did his teammates,’’ said Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who did not agree with the holding call on Cody Davis. “It wasn’t a penalty. Holding was called and it was not a hold. Their legs got tangled, so it was not a foul. It was unfortunate. … (Austin) has had a number of things called back that have been questionable, but this one was not a foul. I was just disappointed for him, but it just shows you what he’s capable of doing. He’s special.’’

Fisher continued: “The thing that’s hard is the time and effort that we put on the practice field to be able to execute something like that and was executed to perfection.’’

Austin, selected with the No. 8 overall pick in the 2013 draft, is averaging 7.9 yards and has a touchdown on 30 punt returns this season. In addition, he has 386 receiving yards on a team-best 41 catches. He’s tied with Gurley for the team lead with eight touchdowns and is second to Gurley in rushing with 358 yards on 39 carries.

The 358 rushing yards is the most for an NFL receiver since Cleveland’s Josh Cribbs had 381 in 2009.

RAM-BLINGS

Fisher said the Rams will consider starting the practice window on linebacker Alec Ogletree later this week in hopes of having him back to play in the season finale Jan. 3 in San Francisco.

Ogletree, a third-year pro who led the Rams in tackles in 2013 and 2014, was placed on the injured reserve/designated to return list after breaking his leg in the team’s Oct. 4 win at Arizona.

“He’s not quite ready, (but) he’s close,’’ the coach said. “He’s got 21 practice days (to get in), so we’re running out of time. The goal would be to see if he’d be available for San Francisco. If not, then he’s got a head-start on the offseason program.’’

• A handful of former Missouri Tigers were involved in Tuesday transactions: Atlanta safety William Moore was placed on season-ending IR with a severely sprained ankle; Seattle signed tight end Chase Coffman; and DT Ziggy Hood was cut by the Chicago Bears.

• Running back Montee Ball, a Timberland High product, was signed to the New England practice squad.

• Ex-Rams running back Daryl Richardson was signed by the Cleveland Browns. A seventh-round draft pick, he was with the Rams in 2012 and 2013.