Rams Practice Report 12/11: Moving Donald Around

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 12/11: Moving Donald Around

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1211-Moving-Donald-Around/02deb398-5842-4bf9-8c7f-4993ce61f69c

While watching a football game in real time, it can be difficult to notice defensive line play unless there’s a tackle for loss or a sack. But defensive tackle Aaron Donald has made himself a must-watch player on every snap.

“Despite the fact that we’ve lost consecutive games, he’s playing at a level that I’ve not seen another defensive lineman play inside like that,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “And it’s just been overshadowed because of the five losses. But he’s playing really, really well.”

“I mean, the guy is literally un-block-able for a full game,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “And there’s stuff that he does that, unless you’re really paying attention to the tape, you won’t see a lot of his QB hits.”

Donald has racked up 8.0 sacks, 33 quarterback pressures, and 16 quarterback hits -- each of which lead the team. Plus, his 17.0 sacks over the last two seasons top the league among 4-3 defensive tackles.

“If you make a quarterback go off his first read, it’s a sack,” Laurinaitis said. “There are some games where he’s got four or five. It’s just impressive to watch him.”

But at this point, referring to Donald as simply a defensive tackle may not do him justice. Last week against Arizona, Donald not only lined up in his normal spot between the guard and tackle, but also at nose tackle and at defensive end when the Rams went to their three-man front.

According to Fisher, that’s all about getting Donald into more situations to be successful.

“He’ll line up and he’ll scan and he’ll see backfield sets and formations and anticipate things. He’s really smart as far as that’s concerned,” Fisher said. “Then, we’re doing our best to create the one-on-one in passing situations. In run situations, he’s going to get doubled and he’s still consistently splitting double teams and getting penetration and affecting the run game.”

“It’s good, I like being moved around, being versatile, trying to find some one-on-ones,” Donald said. “It’s something I did a lot of in college my sophomore year, so I was comfortable doing it.”

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said moving Donald around can help create matchup problems with different looks for an offense.

“We’re trying to do some things with Aaron because the same way that you possible would with a receiver or a running back, people are starting to, you’ll see, plan him,” Williams said. “So, if they’re going to do that, I want to see if that quarterback or if that offensive line coach has a check system to find him.”

But Donald’s ability to not just line up in different spots along the line, but also beat guards, centers, and tackles illustrates the uniqueness of his skill set.

“You wouldn’t be able to do that if he wasn’t as sharp of a kid as he is,” Williams said. “He’s a sharp kid and he takes a lot of pride in being kind of a young coach on the field. It’s been good for us and we’ll continue to do that with him.”

“He’s just super talented. He’s one of those guys [whose] skill set is uncanny to, really, I think any D-tackle in the NFL,” Laurinaitis said. “To be able to go nose, three, out to end in our three-down stuff -- and not just go out there, but go out there and be effective -- is really impressive. It shows his talent level and his range.”

Donald, however, keeps the explanation simple.

“It’s just one-on-ones,” he said. “Rushing the passer is still rushing the passer, no matter if you’re inside, outside -- it doesn’t matter. It’s the same thing.”

Regardless, Donald’s versatility and performances have been all the more impressive because of the injuries suffered across the defense, particularly that of defensive end Robert Quinn. In Quinn’s absence, Donald said he can tell he’s seen a little more attention.

“Yeah, but it comes with it,” Donald said. “If you’re productive, people are going to start noticing that and trying to slow you down some type of way.

“It hurts to lose a guy like that, a big playmaker like that,” Donald added of Quinn. “But you’ve got to keep playing.”

Play on, Donald will. And at a high level, too.

INJURY REPORT

St. Louis did have a lengthy injury report this week, but there was good news within it.

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson was a full participant in both Thursday and Friday’s sessions and is listed as probable for the game. All indications are that he will be back after a two-game absence with a thigh injury.

“Feeling great, I've been practicing all week,” Johnson said Friday. “My leg has been getting better, getting my confidence up, and I feel good.”

Johnson said he suffered a thigh pull just before he picked off a Joe Flacco pass against the Ravens.

“It happened the play before the interception and when I opened it up and that's when it happened,” Johnson said. “I knew the second it happened. I couldn't run anymore and went straight to the ground and secured the ball.”

Had that pull not happened, Johnson maintains he was taking that pick to the house.

“It would have been six,” he said. “Not might -- it would have been six.”

On the other side for cornerback, Janoris Jeknins is still in the concussion protocol and did not participate in Friday’s session. He’s listed as doubtful.

Elsewhere on the report, tight end Lance Kendricks has cleared the concussion protocol and is listed as probable. William Hayes (thigh) was upgraded once again on Friday’s report with a full practice and is listed as probable.

Additionally, Johnny Hekker (rest), Wes Welker (calf), Case Keenum (concussion), Zach Hocker (right thigh), and Greg Zuerlein (right hip) are all probable.

Robert Quinn (back) and Andrew Donnal (knee) have both been ruled out for Sunday.

ROSTER MOVE

Safety T.J. McDonald has indeed been placed on injured reserve, and cornerback Eric Patterson has been promoted from the practice squad to take his place on the active roster.

With a space available on the practice squad, the Rams added J.J. Worton, a wide receiver out of UCF.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams place T.J. McDonald on IR, Janoris Jenkins doubtful for Sunday
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...d-reserve-janoris-jenkins-doubtful-for-sunday

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams officially put safety T.J. McDonald on injured reserve Friday, ending his season. McDonald is set to have shoulder surgery in the coming weeks.

Maurice Alexander is expected to start in McDonald's place. The Rams promoted cornerback Eric Patterson from the practice squad to take McDonald's spot on the roster.

Elsewhere on Friday's injury report, the Rams look like they'll be without cornerback Janoris Jenkins against Detroit on Sunday as he goes through the concussion protocol. Jenkins is listed as doubtful after he did not practice all week. On the bright side, all signs point to cornerback Trumaine Johnson's return as he has bounced back from a thigh injury.

Defensive end Robert Quinn, who coach Jeff Fisher said earlier this week will need back surgery, has not yet been placed on injured reserve so he has been ruled out for this week. Offensive lineman Andrew Donnal (knee) is also listed as out.

Here's the full Friday injury report:

Out: DE Robert Quinn (back), OL Andrew Donnal (knee)

Doubtful: CB Janoris Jenkins (concussion)

Probable: QB Case Keenum (concussion), K Greg Zuerlein (hip), DE William Hayes (thigh), P Johnny Hekker (rest), K Zach Hocker (thigh), TE Lance Kendricks (concussion), CB Trumaine Johnson (thigh), WR Wes Welker (calf).

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Johnson set for return against Detroit on Sunday
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e4dc4467-7616-519a-976c-d33acfd30b0f.html

All Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson could see was the end zone.

“Not might. It would’ve been six (points), for sure,’’ Johnson joked Friday when asked about his third-quarter interception on Nov. 22 at Baltimore.

On the play, Johnson picked off the Joe Flacco pass and returned it 25 yards before pulling up with a thigh strain.

“It actually happened on the play before, on a fade route,’’ Johnson explained. “Then I got the interception and tried to open up and that’s when I felt it. The second it happened, I knew I couldn’t run any more, so I just tried to secure the ball.

“Really wish I could get that one back.’’

The interception was the career-best fourth of the season for Johnson, who leads the 2012 draft class with 12 career picks. Unfortunately, the thigh injury kept him sidelined for recent losses to Cincinnati and Arizona. He is listed probable for Sunday’s noon game against the Detroit Lions at the Edward Jones Dome.

“I’m feeling good, feeling great,’’ the fourth-year pro said following Friday’s workout at Rams Park. “I’ve been practicing all week and the leg’s been coming along. My confidence is up; it’s not going to be 100 (percent), but it should be good enough to play on Sunday.’’

Good news, especially since it appears the Rams’ other starting cornerback, Janoris Jenkins, won’t play. Another fourth-year pro, Jenkins is listed doubtful for Sunday as he continues to work his way through the NFL’s concussion protocol. Jenkins did not practice this week.

Second-year pro Marcus Roberson is expected to make his fourth straight start at corner.

Johnson figures to match up a lot with the Lions’ Calvin Johnson, a five-time Pro Bowler, on Sunday. The 6-foot-5 receiver has 70 catches for 965 yards and seven touchdowns this season. Other key receivers for Detroit are former Seattle Seahawk Golden Taint (67 catches, 615 yards, two TDs) and Theo Riddick (60, 534, three) out of the backfield.

The Lions’ Johnson is “a beast, one of the best in the league right now,’’ 6-foot-2 Trumaine said. “He’s fast, he’s big and he’s physical. They like to throw the ball to him, man, no matter what — single, double, even triple coverage.

“You gotta look forward to games like this, it’s competition. ... I pray for matchups like this.’’

ZUERLEIN ON TRACK

After sitting out the last two games with a right hip strain, kicker Greg Zuerlein also appears ready to resume his duties Sunday. He kicked Wednesday and again Friday and is listed as probable.

“Nothing hurts — that’s always a good sign,’’ he said. “Getting two good days of practice in was good, but now it’s up to the coaches. On Sunday, it’ll be their call.’’

Zuerlein, who booted a club-record 61-yard field goal earlier this season, was hurt a couple of days before the team’s loss in Cincinnati while kicking in the rain. He attributed the strain more on overuse than on the weather conditions.

“It had been tight for a few weeks and I just kept trying to go,’’ he said. “I don’t if it being wet caused it or if it would’ve happened anyway just from the constant kicking. I don’t think it was a one-time thing; probably just kicked too much. I think I just kicked too many balls trying to hit the perfect ball. I didn’t really keep track, so that’s why we’re making sure to keep my ball count down a little bit.’’

Joining Johnson, Jenkins and Zuerlein on the Rams’ lengthy Friday injury report were DE Robert Quinn (back) and OL Andrew Donnal (knee), who’ve been ruled out for Sunday. Earlier this week, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Quinn, a two-time Pro Bowler, would have back surgery and was done for the season. But the team has yet to make that roster move.

Listed probable after full practices Friday were DE William Hayes (thigh), P Johnny Hekker (not injury related), K Zach Hocker (right thigh), TE Lance Kendricks (concussion), WR Wes Welker (calf) and QB Case Keenum (concussion).

All eight players on the Detroit injury report were listed as questionable for Sunday: DE Ezekiel Ansah (hamstring, elbow), WR Calvin Johnson (ankle), WR Lance Moore (ankle), T Michael Ola (knee), S Glover Quin (ankle), DT Caraun Reid (ankle), C Travis Swanson (ankle) and LB Travis Lewis (ankle).

RAM-BLINGS

Slated for shoulder surgery, safety T.J. McDonald was placed on IR Friday. To fill the roster spot, the team promoted cornerback Eric Patterson from the practice squad. Patterson, a 5-foot-10, 193-pound rookie from Ball State, joined the Rams in early October.

He was signed as an undrafted free agent by New England and played in two early-season games with Indianapolis this season, contributing a pair of tackles.

“It feels great to get an opportunity,’’ the 22-year-old said Friday. “I’ve been practicing with the starting D all week, so when my number’s called, I’ll be ready. The big thing is making sure you’re game-ready and preparing as if you’re going to play.’’

To fill Patterson’s spot on the practice squad, the Rams signed WR J.J. Worton, a former University of Central Florida product who suffered a torn ACL late in his senior season that prevented him from being drafted last spring. Before being hurt, the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Worton averaged 42 catches and 590 yards in four seasons at Central Florida. He scored 21 career touchdowns and was also a standout punt returner for the Knights.

• The Washington Redskins have signed former University of Illinois running back Pierre Thomas.

RamBill

Legend
Sims, Westbrooks trying to fill Quinn's shoes
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_86590219-ec15-5a33-96c0-4ddbd6e39b60.html

For most of the past five weeks, the Rams have been trying to get by without Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Quinn. Then on Monday, coach Jeff Fisher announced it would be a season-long thing.

Quinn needs back surgery. Although he has yet to be placed on the injured reserve list, he’s done for the year.

That means even more of an opportunity for Eugene Sims, who has been starting in place of Quinn, and a renewed opportunity for second-year player Ethan Westbrooks.

“Eugene may be the toughest individual in that entire building,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said after Friday’s practice at Rams Park. “If a fight broke out, I’d want to go stand behind him.

“If you ask any of his teammates on either side of the ball — he’s a very tough individual. As he has developed his skill development he’s gotten better and better and better.”

Sims is an interesting case. A small-college find out of West Texas A&M, he was drafted in the sixth round in 2010. Raw but talented when he entered the league, Sims gradually worked his way into a niche as a valuable rotation player behind Quinn at right defensive end.

As the years have rolled by, Sims is now one of the most-tenured players on the team. Only defensive end Chris Long and linebacker James Laurinaitis have been with the Rams longer.

The 2014 season was Sims’ best, with the Mississippi native registering a career-high 45 tackles and matching his career high with three sacks. He started well this season, with a sack of Russell Wilson plus a quarterback hit and QB pressure in the opener.

But Sims suffered a knee injury on the final play of that game and missed the next three contests. By Sims’ own admission, it was a slow-go once he returned to the lineup; he wasn’t playing his best football.

“Now, I feel like I’m playing pretty good,” he said. “Pretty solid. The sack numbers aren’t there.”

Sims, in fact, hasn’t had a sack since the season opener despite starting five games in Quinn’s absence. Every game at right end, he’s lining up over the opponent’s left tackle — in theory, that team’s best pass-blocker.

“It’s been pretty challenging,” Sims said. “But my mindset is to do better and win every play I can win.”

The Rams’ pass rush hasn’t been the same without Quinn. Over the past five games, coinciding with both the team’s five-game losing streak and the first game Quinn missed (Minnesota), the Rams have recorded only six sacks. They had 26 sacks in their first seven games.

“Robert’s a rare pass-rusher,” Williams said. “There’s not very many people that can do the things he can do in the league, and how he can turn the corner so quick.”

Sims, 6-6, 269, hopes to better fill that void in Sunday’s home game against quarterback Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions. He is scheduled for unrestricted free agency after this season, so he can help the team and help himself with a strong finish over the final four games.

“I’ve been trying to control what I can control, do what I can do right now for the team,” Sims said. “So I’m not really worried about the contract. Let it play itself out.”

Backing up Sims at right end Sunday will be Westbrooks, who is getting another chance to show his stuff after being a pregame inactive the past two weeks against Arizona and Cincinnati.

“Yeah, I’m gonna be back ‘up’ this week,” Westbrook said, referring to his playing status. “I’m taking it serious. Every snap is a blessing in the NFL so I’m just really trying to focus in on this, do my best and hopefully make a couple big plays this week.”

Against the Cardinals and Bengals, undrafted rookie Matt Longacre of Northwest Missouri State had moved ahead of Westbrooks in the rotation, backing up Sims.

“We wanted to see what we had in Matt,” Williams said. “It’s important when you have that culture that we have in our (meeting) room in there, that they know that we’re watching.

“Matt has been practicing very, very well and we wanted to give him the opportunity. We wanted to reward that work ethic that he was showing. He did very well.”

But now it’s another opportunity for Westbrooks, who has 22 tackles and two sacks in nine games this season. He has been playing both end and tackle this season, and it’s been tricky finding a weight that makes him bulky enough to be effective inside but quick enough to get around the edge at end.

“He’ll get back in the mix (against Detroit),” Williams said. “You’ll see him do that. He has versatility on being able to play inside and outside. He’s a very powerful man, too.

“The big thing with him is I just don’t want to fill his head up with too many things where he has to over-think. So he can just play fast.”

Fast enough to get to the quarterback — which hasn’t been happening nearly enough for the Rams minus Quinn.

FRO

Legend
I'm so glad we got Donald. I was actually right about a draft prospect for once.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm so glad we got Donald. I was actually right about a draft prospect for once.

Well, let's hope you're right about Jared Goff too and the Rams pick him as well!;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Both Eugene Sims and Ethan Westbrook are somewhat similar in some ways. First is both are really a blend of two main types DE & DT. Sims started out as a safety coming out of HS ...& moved on in from there. Both offer the DL coach some very good options as game day rotational players. Sims being 4 yr older and much more NFL experience.This Sunday will be Sims 80th NFL game. Sims will have 9 starts. Sims is much better playing the run & has improved greatly this season in keeping the edge contained. Could be why he has not been as good in the pass rush.

They bring up his 2014 season as his best but last season he played so much more DT in the rotation. Sims was also a bargain in the cap cost due to a low cost of only 950K. Now whereas this season he got a pay raise to approx 2.3 mil, his job assignment this season has been chapter after chapter of heavy doses @ RDE.

Sims will be a UFA in a few months & is sure to be looking for his first really big contract here at the late age of 30. Sims is in for a real nice pay raise & a starting post somewhere in the NFL. Sims most likely will not get anything close to that here. Unless this Ram team gets a brand new coaching staff & lets UFA Hayes & releases the ultra high cap hit Chris Long on the opposite side @ LDE.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/eugene-sims/

At this point in Sims career the 6-6 275 pound Eugene Sims might be best suited to start for a 34 defense playing right of the NT and inside left of the Right OLBer. So Its my belief he will have many more suitors in Free Agency than we may think.

Ethan Westbrook has yet to find a home in his 9 Rams games this season too. Last year he was tearing it up early until he broke a hand full of bones in his hand. EW has seen his playing time reduced with the emergence of Left DE John Longacre & Fairley. EW has played DT/NT & both DE posts. EW was used a lot last yr @ DT in passing situations but with the excellent play of Nick Fairley EW has no real need there. Fisher having big decisions to be made at the conclusion of this season with the his now 3 top DE's (two UFA & once seriously overpriced) Longacre will continue to get a big long look.

EW future has not went dim & in fact the next four games Ethan's name will be called much more than what we have heard it called in the 12 previous games. The 2016 future season looks bright for him. Mostly due to the future cap issues with the already mentioned above 3 veteran DE's. Add to that Robert Quinn needing 2016 back surgery one look for EW to see a ton of early action in the 2016 OTA's & training camp @ RDE. Once Rob Quinn returns to starting @ RDE Ethan will stand to play an important role @ DE along with being a sometime back up inside to DT's Aaron Donald, Micheal Brockers & Louis Tricant-Pasat.

In conclusion its a nasty rotten shame for Ram fans that this early great looking 2015 DL fell fast into mediocre performances. High probability that 3/4's of the four (Fairley-Hayes- Sims & Long) will not be a Rams after this season. The window of opportunity for this DL shut real early & fast. :death:

Last edited:

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
To bad we don't have a A QB that we can talk about like that

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Another downfall is building the Defense as fast as they did and ignoring the Offense for the most part. These defensive players are all coming due at the same time frame and it kind of paints them into a corner on how to address it. I wish they would have taken a more balanced approach to the roster building.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the excellent late season interior play of DT Nick Fairley right now, AD could move outside to help on the lack of pass rush from the edges.

Interior DL
Donald 8 sacks
Brockers 2 sacks

Exterior DL
Hayes 2.5 sacks
Westbrooks 2 sacks
Sims 2 sacks
Long 2 sacks