Rams Practice Report 10/21: Gurley's Prep for Cleveland

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 10/21: Gurley's Prep for Cleveland
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1021-Gurleys-Prep-for-Cleveland/b246ea98-aa75-4111-9c0a-aa41c66425e2

The Rams have started to establish their identity on offense, and it’s one that clearly starts with the run game.

With running back Todd Gurley rushing for 305 yards over his last two games -- 146 against Arizona and 159 against Green Bay -- the offense has certainly done well to open up holes for him. The running back, however, did admit Wednesday he didn’t necessarily realize he’d taken so many carries up at Lambeau Field. That is, until he did.

“I looked up at the scoreboard midway through the fourth quarter and I was at 25 and was like, ‘dang, it didn't really feel like it.’ Then once I said that, I started to get a little tired,” Gurley said with a laugh. “I'll try not to jinx myself next time.”

After that game, Gurley said he was able to utilize the bye week well in order to get fresh for Cleveland.

“Came back and felt good,” Gurley said. “Had a good practice yesterday and today. Definitely a good couple days off.”

The rookie went back to Georgia to watch the Bulldogs beat Mizzou and enjoyed his time at the old stomping grounds. In a way, going back and watching the game accentuates the differences between the college game and the pros.

“[Players are] bigger, stronger,” Gurley said, adding that there’s a level playing field. “Everybody is the same speed or even faster. Guys react a lot faster -- they know their stuff.”

And that’s the case with this week’s opponent, Cleveland. Though the Browns rank No. 30 in overall defense and No. 32 against the run, players and coaches alike quelled the notion Cleveland is a pushover.

“They’ve got a good combination of experience on the defense and some youth on the defense,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “They drafted well. Big man from Washington [DT Danny Shelton] is a load. Inside, he’s a penetrator. He’s going to be a tough match-up for our interior three.”

“They’re very well coached, excellent players,” offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said. “You look at them on the back end, they have proven players -- three ex pro bowlers. Excellent front seven, athletic, can run, play hard, well-coached.”

Gurley himself said Cleveland’s defense has played better than its ranking.

“Those things sound good, but at the end of the day, when Sunday hits and you get on the field it's all about executing and not letting that man across from you beat you,” Gurley said. “Those guys can come Sunday and play like the No. 1 defense. Those guys had a great game against the Broncos, so I never look at the ranks.”

Still, as Cleveland head coach Mike Pettine said on Wednesday, Sunday’s matchup will pit one team’s weakness against another team’s strength.

“What it comes down to is the fundamental stuff,” Pettine said of the Browns’ run defense. “It’s something we’re well aware of and we know that -- by far -- this is our biggest challenge of the year to stop the run.”

As the Rams continue to establish their strong ground attack, Gurley realizes the likely consequence is facing more defenses with a safety in the box. But that’s no matter to him.

“That just leaves room for the receivers,” Gurley said. “As long as we win, I’m not complaining.”

But Gurley’s two road performances provides a lift not only for the running back, but also the offensive linemen.

“When you run the ball how we've run the ball, you become confident in what you do,” offensive guard Jamon Brown said. “Obviously, there's still things we can do better and constantly try to work on those things day in, day out. We are confident with the things we've done to this point.”

“I'm definitely confident in myself and know what I'm capable of,” Gurley said. “But those guys up front have done a great job putting in extra work every day at practice. So we know what we're capable of.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams had one of their longest injury reports of the season on Wednesday with a number of players sitting out.

Wide receiver Tavon Austin (knee), tight end Lance Kendricks (hand), defensive end Chris Long (knee), running back Tre Mason (ankle), and defensive end Robert Quinn (knee) all did not participate.

“Tre’s got a little ankle going. He didn’t practice today,” Fisher said. “Tavon did not practice with a little hamstring. Rob didn’t practice with the knee. We had a couple other guys that we rested.”

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins (concussion) participated on a limited basis.

Also, while he’s listed on the injury report because he remains on the active roster, linebacker Alec Ogletree (DNP, ankle) will be out this week.

CONSISTENCY OUTSIDE THE DIVISION

Though the Rams have played only five games, the club has played better inside the division than they have outside of it. Fisher has often said the team is built to compete and win within the NFC West. While there may not be a specific factor the team can put its finger on so far, St. Louis will need to to improve its consistency no matter the opponent in order to achieve its goal of playing football after Week 17.

“I don’t think there’s anything there,” quarterback Nick Foles said. “We just didn’t execute well in those games. Defense gave us opportunities to win the games we lost. We’ve just got to put more points on the board and stop hurting ourselves, really.”

And while the defense may have looked solid up at Lambeau Field on Oct. 11, linebacker James Laurinaitis viewed the game differently.

“Every Sunday, our goal is to be the best defense on the field. You look at last week and a lot of people, I feel, said, ‘Gosh the defense played good against Green Bay.’ I don't see it that way,” Laurinaitis said. “They forced four takeaways, scored on one of them, we only had three and we didn't score. That’s a big difference there.”

“If we get to work with six points, we hold them to three and we go on,” Laurinaitis continued. “If we can have that mindset -- because we have that talent -- then we'll start to elevate our game.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Team reunites rookie offensive linemen
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b69e4772-0d5e-561b-9304-d0382fd697c8.html

Rams rookie guard Jamon Brown, a third-round draft pick from Louisville, spent most of training camp on the right side and then started the first five games of the regular season at left guard.

Now, with veteran Garrett Reynolds stepping in to take the place of Rodger Saffold, who’s done for the season with a shoulder injury, Brown appears to be moving back to the right side.

“It’s not too bad,” the 22-year-old said following Wednesday’s practice at Rams Park. “I take it all the way back to college, where I played both sides, left and right tackle. Here, it’s pretty much the same. Now it’s just a matter of mastering the technique on the right side.

“The left side, you’re used to a certain play being on the front side and now, on the same play, you’re on the back side. It can get confusing at times, but I feel like I do a pretty good job with it.”

In the end, Brown said, it’s the coaches’ decision.

“Whether he wants me to play on the left or the right, it doesn’t matter,” the 6-foot-4, 323-pound Brown said. “I have a job to do and I’m going to do it on either side.”

With fellow rookie Todd Gurley leading the way, the Rams ran for 164 yards in a 24-22 win in Arizona and followed up with 191 rushing yards in a 24-10 loss at Green Bay. Brown feels that’s a sign of things to come for the Rams and their youthful offensive line.

On Sunday, Gurley and the Rams will face Cleveland and a rushing defense that has allowed a league-worst 149.8 yards per game on the ground.

“I’m very confident in our line,’ he said. “I think we’ve progressed a lot, coming from OTA’s into training camp and now into the season. I think we’ve made huge strides and we will continue to get better week in and week out.

“Obviously, there are still things we can do better and we’re constantly trying to work on those things.”

Brown is excited to be working alongside of second-round draft pick Rob Havenstein, but ...

“It doesn’t skip a beat because I’ve worked with everybody in our room,” he said. “I just have to make sure I do my job and I’m sure everybody else will do theirs. We gotta continue to do what we do. It’s not really about their defense, it’s about us. And as long as we keep that mindset, we’re going to be fine.”

ALEXANDER IS BACK

Maurice Alexander, a reserve safety and special teams player, is back at practice after missing two games with a groin injury. He was hurt early in the Pittsburgh game on Sept. 27.“I’m feeling good, nice to be 100 (percent) again,” the second-year pro from Eureka High said. “When I first got hurt, I was hoping to get back quicker but the docs and trainers — they obviously know more than I do — they told me it’d be even longer than it’s been.“It was definitely frustrating because I felt good and felt faster than ever. An injury like that, you really have to be patient because if you push it too much, try to come back too soon, there’s always a chance you can re-injure it and be out even longer.

“But I’m back to where I was before and I’m looking forward to getting out there again on Sunday.”

RAMS IN THE COMMUNITY

The Rams will take part in a pair of charity events:

• Two-time Pro Bowl punter Johnny Hekker will punt off the roof of SSM Health St. Clare Hospital in Fenton Thursday at 9 a.m. as part of the SSM Kick Cancer Rooftacular. Hekker, kicker Greg Zuerlein and long snapper Jake McQuaide are co-chairs of the fund-raising program, which supports the needs of cancer patients throughout the community.

• In partnership with the United Way of Greater St. Louis, Rams players Benny Cunningham, Bradley Marquez, Marcus Roberson and Doug Worthington will join the team’s cheerleaders, Rampage and staff in hosting a Play 60 event Thursday from 3:30-5 p.m. at the O’Fallon Park YMCA.

RAM-BLINGS

For a team coming off a bye week, the Rams’ first injury report of the week was surprisingly extensive.Sitting out Wednesday’s workout at Rams Park were the expected injured players — linebacker Alex Ogletree (broken leg), defensive end Chris Long (knee) and tight end Lance Kendricks (finger) — but also included running back Tre Mason (ankle), wide receiver Tavon Austin (hamstring) and defensive end Robert Quinn (knee). Cornerback Janoris Jenkins (concussion) was limited.And the Browns’ list is even longer. Defensive backs Joe Haden (concussion/finger) and Tashaun Gipson (ankle) did not practice and neither did linebacker Craig Robertson (ankle) and tight end Rob Housler (hamstring). Veteran offensive lineman Joe Thomas and defensive linemen Randy Starks were given the day off to rest.

The following Cleveland players were limited on Wednesday _ tight end Gary Barnidge (ankle), linebacker Tank Carder (shoulder), defensive lineman John Hughes III (knee), wide receiver Marlon Moore (hamstring) and defensive lineman Danny Shelton (knee).

Back-up quarterback Johnny Manziel (right elbow) was a full participant in Wednesday’s workout.

• The Rams unofficial depth chart lists ex-safety Mark Barron as a starter at linebacker. Barron, who started the Green Bay game, was acquired from Tampa Bay at the trade deadline last year and is listed at 6 feet 2 and 213 pounds.

RamBill

Legend
Gurley on Getting A TD: When It Happens, It Happens

Running back Todd Gurley talked with the media following Wednesday’s practice at Rams Park.

Watch Gurley's Presser

RamBill

Legend
Rams' secondary comes together behind Jenkins
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1b9bdc6a-cc90-5cab-9af4-f50bb8a1165f.html

On Green Bay’s first pass play of the day, quarterback Aaron Rodgers threw deep down the left sideline toward wide receiver Ty Montgomery. Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins was in tight coverage and the pass fell incomplete.

After that, Rodgers gave Jenkins the “Richard Sherman treatment" during the Rams’ 24-10 loss Oct. 11. Rodgers threw 29 additional passes that day at Lambeau Field; not one of those 29 was thrown in the direction of Jenkins, whose stat line consisted of all zeroes. No tackles, no interceptions, no pass breakups. ...

“It was boring, but at the same time I still had to play football,” Jenkins said. “I couldn’t go to sleep out there because it was A-Rod. In my mind every play I was just thinking he was gonna come over there anyway.”

But Rodgers didn’t. Much was made of the fact that Rodgers didn’t throw at Sherman, the much-heralded Seattle cornerback, a year ago when the Packers and Seahawks met in their 2014 season opener.

Perhaps Rodgers was showing similar respect to Jenkins.

“I see it as a sign of respect,” Jenkins said. “But at the same time, he probably saw something on the other side that he liked better. Probably match-up wise or whatever.”

A week earlier in Arizona, Jenkins was involved in a couple of high-profile plays — one good (an acrobatic interception) and one bad (a pass interference penalty). But otherwise, Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer didn’t throw much in Jenkins’ direction either.

“Most times, what I’ve been noticing the first five weeks, teams are basically trying me with the double move,” Jenkins said. “If they don’t have any success with that, they just go away from me. But like I said, I just stay on top of my game and don’t go to sleep out there.”

The Montgomery route against Jenkins in the Green Bay game was a double move — a stutter-and-go to be precise. But Jenkins didn’t take the bait.

He has, of course, taken the bait in the past and that has led to some feast-or-famine moments for the fourth-year pro.

The feast has come in the form of six defensive touchdowns scored by Jenkins since entering the league in 2012 — more than any other NFL player. One of those TDs came on a recovered fumble; the other five have come on interception returns for TDs, a total that ties the franchise record for career “pick 6s.”

The famine has come when Jenkins has gambled, going for the interception and getting beaten for TDs by receivers fooling him with double moves.

But such plays have been few and far between lately. Jenkins is playing well entering Sunday’s home game with Cleveland, displaying more game-to-game consistency than he has displayed in the past.

Pro Football Focus has him ranked 16th among all NFL cornerbacks in terms of overall grade. Opposing quarterbacks have only a 79.3 passer rating against him according to PFF.

While acknowledging that the gambling and double moves have resulted in some problems in the past, Jenkins feels he’s playing some of the best ball of his career.

“Yeah I do,” he said. “I say that to myself, that I’m finally 100 percent. No nagging injuries. I’m not out there with a sore knee or a sore ankle, you know what I’m saying? I’m just finally healthy.”

Although the Rams didn’t make much of it last season, Jenkins suffered a sprained MCL in the team’s Oct. 19 Monday game with Seattle, and it bothered him for much of the season. Teams knew that, and threw at him.

“Once they knew that I was hurt, they were coming at me,” Jenkins said.

He was on the team’s injury report for most of November because of that knee injury and reappeared on the injury report near the end of the year with a back issue.

“Why I was getting beat, I was hurt last year,” Jenkins said. “I don’t care what anybody says. Double moves, I was just trying to make plays.”

So far this season, Jenkins has 23 tackles, two interceptions, and two pass breakups.

Even after allowing two TD passes against Rodgers and Green Bay, the Rams as a team have allowed only five touchdown passes on defense all season, which is tied for the league low. While recognizing that the NFL is very much a week-to-week league, the secondary is finally showing signs of gelling as a unit.

“We’ve been together for a while now,” Jenkins said. “So everybody’s got a feel for each other, how each other plays. Their strengths and weaknesses, so we’ve just got to keep putting it together week in and week out.

“We’re pretty technique-sound. I think Coach D’s doing a good job, fixing our fundamentals and techniques within press.”

(Dennard Wilson is one of the Rams’ defensive backs coaches.)

Jenkins and fellow cornerback Trumaine Johnson are in their fourth season together in the Rams’ secondary, although Johnson has not been a full-time starter during all of that time. At safety, Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald are in their third years as starters.

McDonald is the only one of those four starters who is under contract after this season. The others are scheduled for unrestricted free agency.

In the case of Jenkins, the Rams have had ongoing discussions with his agent on a new deal since last spring. Jenkins, in fact, said the Rams made an offer to him last week during the Rams’ bye.

But the numbers apparently weren’t to Jenkins’ liking because he indicated Wednesday that he plans to wait until the end of the season to act on a contract, hinting that he may test the market.

“I’m not talking about the contract,” Jenkins said. “I ended that last week, when they gave me those numbers. It was something I didn’t want to hear. I ended it just like that. I’ll play it out. I’m gonna bet on myself.”

=============

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You better learn how to play TA more.

I think Cigs got worked over by one of the best DCs in the league last week. Outside of that one game and the stinker in Washington he's done quite well in terms of his gameplan. They had dudes open all over not to mention holes in the ground game vs the Steelers just had poor execution. Some of the Skins game was execution too IMO.

He has a stretch now against some average DCs and it should show. He has a good enough OL, a good enough QB, and some excellent talent in the run and pass game. Here's the way I see the DC matchups for him in the near future:

Cleveland @ STL: not a prob, should be a big game for the offense.
SF @ STL: not a prob, another defense with a lot of holes and non-elite DC. Mangini has his moments but he's average IMO.
STL @ Minnesota: tough matchup for Cigs. The head coach is the real deal as a DC and will be well prepared for the Rams.
Chicago @ STL: Fox is very good, but his talent sucks. Schematically he'll do a good job but it won't matter, Cigs should do well in that matchup.
STL @ Baltimore: Same as above. Well coached defense with an above average DC in Pees but dude has holes all over.

Up until the stretch that starts November 29th in Cincinatti there is only one game where Cigs really has a tough schematic matchup with a defense that can out-execute. So we are going to find out how good Cigs is. If he runs the table with good offensive outings in at least 5/6 games we have the guy in place to lead this offense. If they stutter all over, well, it's just gonna be more of the same.

IMO we have a very exciting month ahead. Here's hoping they beat the Browns man, that just has to happen.

Athos

Legend
Injury report has me very worried:

NAME POSITION INJURY WED. THU. FRI. GAME STATUS
Austin, Tavon WR Hand DNP DNP - -
Jenkins, Janoris CB Concussion LP LP - -
Kendricks, Lance TE Hand DNP DNP - -
Long, Chris DE Knee DNP DNP - -
Mason, Tre RB Ankle DNP DNP - -
Ogletree, Alec LB Ankle DNP DNP - -
Quinn, Robert DE Knee DNP DNP -

Not me. I see this all the time for so many teams when I'm trying to decide who to blow ROD COIN on or suck on pick em with. Everyone ends up playing unless a limb is falling off.