Rams Positional Outlook: Running Backs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Positional-Outlook-Running-Backs-/a7361364-43ee-40db-836e-b3341915b88b

Rams Positional Outlook: Running Backs
Kristen Lago

The 2017 Rams won their first NFC West title since 2003 with an 11-5 regular-season record. As Los Angeles’ focus shifts to 2018 and beyond, we’ll take a position-by-position look at how the Rams performed in 2017 and how each group currently stands at the start of the 2018 offseason.

RUNNING BACKS

RB | Todd Gurley III *^

— Team leading 1,305 rushing yards on 279 carries (No. 2 in the NFL) | League-leading 13 rushing touchdowns | AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year and FedEx Ground Player of the Year

RB | Malcolm Brown
— 246 rushing yards on 63 carries | One rushing touchdown scored

RB | Lance Dunbar
— 51 rushing yards on 11 carries | One rushing touchdown scored

RB | Justin Davis
— One yard gained on one carry

FB | Sam Rogers

— Signed a futures contract with the Rams in January

*Pro Bowl

^All-Pro

ANY FREE AGENTS?

Dunbar will become an unrestricted free agent at the start of the new league year, while Brown is set to become an exclusive rights free agent. Fullback Zach Laskey — who has spent the last two years on injured reserve after spending the 2015 season on the practice squad — is also an exclusive rights free agent.

LOOK BACK, LOOK AHEAD

The Rams running game in 2017 was centered around the resurgence of Gurley. After recording just 885 yards on 278 carries in 2016, Gurley showcased impressive development under head coach Sean McVay — re-establishing himself as an elite running back.

Not only did he lead the NFL with 2,093 yards from scrimmage, but he also scored a league-leading 19 total touchdowns. Gurley was key to Los Angeles’ success as his consistent production helped the Rams to an 11-5 record and an NFC West Championship.

Much of the same is expected from the running back in 2018.

Brown came into the season as the No. 2 back, but his campaign was hampered by a series of injuries. The Texas product injured his MCL during the Rams’ Week 8 contest against the Giants and missed the following four games. But he did perform admirably when coming in for Gurley, totaling 48 yards on 11 carries against the Cardinals and 45 yards on 10 carries against the Seahawks.

Dunbar opened the season on the clubs’ reserve/PUP list after aggravating his knee during the offseason. Although he was only active for four games this season, he does have the potential to help the Rams next year as a pass-catching back — should the two sides come to deal to keep him in Los Angeles.

Former USC standout Justin Davis impressed during the offseason to find a spot on the Rams’ active roster. But his struggles with protecting the football kept Davis on the backburner behind Brown and Dunbar for much of the year. Through four games played, he took just six snaps on offense and 34 snaps on special teams.

Ram65

Legend
Ronald Jones anyone at 23????

Not for the Rams but how about at 325 for the Titans

https://247sports.com/nfl/tennessee...s-25th-in-Mel-Kipers-2nd-Mock-Draft-115372230
The NFL Draft is just 64 days away. With that being said, mock drafts are starting to pinpoint picks for each club.

ESPN mock draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. has just dropped the second installment of his first-round projections and made the selection for the Tennessee Titans at No. 25 overall.

His pick for the Titans is USC RB Ronald Jones.

Ram65

Legend
I would like a replacement for Austin that can catch and run. Seems like Gurley does better with another running thread on the field. Imagine if that player can catch too!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ronald Jones anyone at 23????
He'd be a nice pick, But I don't see us going RB at #23! I like a guy like Rashaad Penny out of San Diego State in the middle rounds, late 3rd early 4th rounder!

Ram65

Legend
Not for the Rams but how about at 325 for the Titans

https://247sports.com/nfl/tennessee...s-25th-in-Mel-Kipers-2nd-Mock-Draft-115372230
The NFL Draft is just 64 days away. With that being said, mock drafts are starting to pinpoint picks for each club.

ESPN mock draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. has just dropped the second installment of his first-round projections and made the selection for the Tennessee Titans at No. 25 overall.

His pick for the Titans is USC RB Ronald Jones.

At 23 in the 6th round.

Typo...25 in round 1! Titans.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I forgot the blue font....but Ronald can play....

I'd like a real back that can rotate....very little...with Gurley...

Would I grab him at 23? No...not for us...plus, I like the big guys....early....

But....if he runs a 4.3 forty....:sneaky: