Rams Positional Outlook: Defensive Backs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Kansas City may be making Peters available. He would be better than any Corner they could get at 23. Anyone know why they are thinking of trading him? Is he a locker room problem or something?
KC has cap funds shortages plus Peters has not been as good as projected. Not sure if he is a good fit here. On your question ...he not close to being a special Eric Berry type DB.

Psycho_X

Legend
Kansas City may be making Peters available. He would be better than any Corner they could get at 23. Anyone know why they are thinking of trading him? Is he a locker room problem or something?

He has had discipline problems and he's also one of the more emphatic "kneelers" so there is that shit storm that would come with him. He's just not shy of being very vocal and running his mouth. Having said that, the kid is a smart as hell CB. Talent wise he's worth a second half first rounder probably. Would need to be paired with a strong coach and team. An article from Chiefs'ville.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018...d-feasibly-trade-marcus-peters-they-shouldn't

The chatter about the Kansas City Chiefs moving Marcus Peters may be real after all, according toCBS Sports reporter Jason La Canfora.

Continue to hear chatter that Marcus Peters may not be long for KC. Figure that intensifies next week at the combine

While there were some rumblings last week, the idea of the Chiefs trading Peters first picked up mainstream steam when Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk posted this article:Is Peters available in trade?

So let’s jump into it, shall we?

Why trading Marcus Peters makes absolutely no sense
If Facebook, Twitter, and AP comments are any indications, this is where most of us fall on thetrading Marcus Petersscale.

This is the easiest side to fall on because it is the most obvious.

Peters is one of the best cornerbacks in the National Football League and is still just 25 years old. Since he entered the league in 2015, no cornerback has more interceptions—he has 19and the field starts with 14—and he is a two-time All-Pro. Peters also won the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year award in 2015.

He makes plays like this:

That’s Peters having the football instinct and enough confidence in it to come off his man to go for and intercept a football that was thrown to another...in the playoffs.

That is an extremely rare trait for any member of the secondary on any team in the entire league. And because of that innateball-hawkability, quarterbacks have thrown at him less and less over the past few years:

That, folks, is a trend. He is due for a year in 2018 in which quarterbacks will throw at him less than 72 times. That is an entire side of the field wrapped up.

All the while, Peters is stillon his initial contract. He is set to make $1.7 million this season with a $3 million cap hit. The Chiefs have an option for 2019 and could franchise tag him if need be after that.

Why in thehellwould the Chiefs everget rid of him?

Why trading Marcus Peters makes all the sense
I want to make it very clear here that I like Marcus Peters, a lot. I likewhat he’s done for the Kansas City and Oakland communities, I like the passion he brings to the game, and if I were the Chiefs, I would favor keeping him. He’s too much of a unicorn to let go.

For the sake of this article, however, let’s explore why I believe the Chiefs could make a case for trading him.

The first, indisputable argument is that Marcus Peters loses his cool way too often on the football field.Officially, Peters has four career unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, in addition to one taunting call. If you watch the Chiefs every week either at Arrowhead Stadium or on television, we all know it could be much worse than that.

We’ve seen Petersscream obscenities at fans in the stands, referees andopponentsalike.

This season, we saw the worst of Peters’ actions as a professionalwhen he threw a referee’s flag into the standsafter a defensive holding call he did not agree with. The referees only gave Peters an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, but he jogged off the field, only to return (now infamously) without his socks.

It waslater reported that Peters got into an argument with a Chiefs coachon the way to the airport, and after that, head coach Andy Reid had seen enough.

The NFL onlyfined Peters for the in-game incident, but Reid gave him a one-game suspension.

Then, there is the elephant in the room: the protest Peters takes part in during the national anthem.

Terez Paylorof theKansas City Starwrote an article in early November, titled “Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt has met with Marcus Peters, others, about protests during anthem,” that should perhaps be paid more attention to.

The most important part of the article to note here is chairman and CEO Clark Hunt’s public stance on kneeling during the anthem.

“When it rolled around last year, it really wasn’t a big deal for us, and we’ve tried to stay with that this year,” Hunt said, per Paylor. “Obviously we’ve had some guys who have sat or knelt during some of the games this year, but we’ve continued to work with them and communicate with them that we prefer for them to stand.

“But at the end of the day, it’s their decision.”

Hunt added the two had a “great conversation,” but he wouldn’t get into details.

I do not bring this up because I think the Chiefs are an organization that would trade a player for taking part in a protest for something he believes in. But the ownership frankly stated it did not agree with the manner of the protest.

In the case of Peters and the Chiefs’ constant internal battle ofplayer value vs. toleration, whether right or wrong, whether you believe one thing or another, Peters is on a different side when it comes tosolelystanding during the national anthem or not than the man paying him.

Then, there’s the NFL Draft.

Like every team in the National Football League, the Chiefs have needs entering 2018. What they don’t have this year (thanks to Patrick Mahomes) is a first-round pick. It is my opinion that there is a team in the league who may pay that, and if not that, perhaps two second-rounders, for Peters.

And finally (and most simply), this is an organization that wouldneverget rid ofJamaal CharlesJohn DorseyDerrick JohnsonMarcus Peters, right?

I hope the Chiefs don’t trade Peters, but if you think there’s a zero percent chance, you haven’t been paying attention.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Go get Marcus peters !

Exceptional talent , Mcvay and wade can deal with his attitude and he might be happier on this up and coming team.

Chiefs seem to be close to rebuild mode and alot of their vets are gonna be gone .

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He is elite but how much would he upset the balance of the team? He definitely doesn't sound like anyone that would buy into the We, not Me montra.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
KC has cap funds shortages plus Peters has not been as good as projected. Not sure if he is a good fit here. On your question ...he not close to being a special Eric Berry type DB.

I th I k he is the best corner in the game when it comes to skill. I am surprised you say he isn't as good as projected. But, any attitude problem that causes him to have USL penalties and such detracts from they overall value of him as a player, especially if he disrupts team chemistry. McVay felt he could reign in Sammy, who has a history of complaining in Buffalo. By all estimation he has. I doubt that Peters could be persuaded the same way but it will be interesting to see if Sean wants to try.

Peter's is still on his rookie contract according to the article posted. Giving up a first is risky with him nearing free agency, but that contract would save a bunch of cap room and solve some potential roster problems. Plus if the Rams are as close to the big game as we like to think, they would have to consider Peter's ability helping them as a final piece to the Championship. However players like him often hit free agency and go for the payday. Team loyalty doesn't mean much to them. He is a West Coaster though.

I hate the anthem kneeling stuff. But, could you imagine a backfield with Talib and Peters and what it would mean to this defense? Add a run stuffer at DT and ilb and the defense could be top three. Is this team that close that they can take risks left me this? The Patriots did with Randy Moss and some others over the years and it got the to the big game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I th I k he is the best corner in the game when it comes to skill. I am surprised you say he isn't as good as projected. But, any attitude problem that causes him to have USL penalties and such detracts from they overall value of him as a player, especially if he disrupts team chemistry. McVay felt he could reign in Sammy, who has a history of complaining in Buffalo. By all estimation he has. I doubt that Peters could be persuaded the same way but it will be interesting to see if Sean wants to try.

Peter's is still on his rookie contract according to the article posted. Giving up a first is risky with him nearing free agency, but that contract would save a bunch of cap room and solve some potential roster problems. Plus if the Rams are as close to the big game as we like to think, they would have to consider Peter's ability helping them as a final piece to the Championship. However players like him often hit free agency and go for the payday. Team loyalty doesn't mean much to them. He is a West Coaster though.

I hate the anthem kneeling stuff. But, could you imagine a backfield with Talib and Peters and what it would mean to this defense? Add a run stuffer at DT and ilb and the defense could be top three. Is this team that close that they can take risks left me this? The Patriots did with Randy Moss and some others over the years and it got the to the big game.
I understand but I look at things as a Whole not just the talent which is obvious. most of my major headaches in my career in Management came from problematic highly skilled talents.....just saying I used up all my patience I received from my parents very early dealing with people like that. I just wanted them to go away ASAP. Now I am just not that impressed as most will be. But that's just me....If I making that decision I am not buying unless its a very good deal here....

jap

Legend
He is elite but how much would he upset the balance of the team? He definitely doesn't sound like anyone that would buy into the We, not Me montra.

I believe if he were to meet with Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, 'Tree, and maybe Lamarcus Joyner (assuming he works out a deal with the Horns), young peters may come away with a totally different attitude.

Aaron: "When we say, 'We not Me' we mean you are gonna do whatever the hell I say, or you can kiss your sorry butt goodbye!!!"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah I’ll pass on little Marshawn Lynch. His cousin is talented but the apple didn’t fall from the tree and is just as much of a head case.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I love Peters game....and I loved Colvin in the draft....I woulda grabbed him even tho he was injured....

I would take either or both...and still draft a CB in this draft....

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would go for peters and talib over Colvin, Colvin is not proven on the outside and I think NRC is the best nickel cb in the leauge.