Rams Player Contracts - Who’s Next?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As with any players it depends on the value they and their agents assign to them and what other teams think of them. I didn't make a list of people to get rid of just an opinion if they should or had to be resigned. Unless Williams balls out none of those guys are have to resign status.

They're good for depth and to compete. That's why I'd re-sign them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're good for depth and to compete. That's why I'd re-sign them.
I am not and have never disagreed with that statement haha
My whole point was at what cost :) If they keep signing for the minimum sure why not.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I am not and have never disagreed with that statement haha
My whole point was at what cost :) If they keep signing for the minimum sure why not.

That's fair. Given that they're all RFAs, I can't see them signing for huge amounts.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can someone please confirm that Robert Woods is signed through 2022 (2 more seasons)? I am a Huge fan of Robert Woods (Ultimate Team Player!) and I am keeping my fingers crossed (Although, That is a Long Time For My Fingers To Stay Crossed!) that the Rams and Woods can come to an agreement within the next two years that will keep him a Ram for many more seasons!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fair. Given that they're all RFAs, I can't see them signing for huge amounts.
But you're also talking about Williams having played well and he's our #3 or #4 CB, that brings attention to a cheap free agent.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can someone please confirm that Robert Woods is signed through 2022 (2 more seasons)? I am a Huge fan of Robert Woods (Ultimate Team Player!) and I am keeping my fingers crossed (Although, That is a Long Time For My Fingers To Stay Crossed!) that the Rams and Woods can come to an agreement within the next two years that will keep him a Ram for many more seasons!
He's signed thru 2022.

oldnotdead

Legend
One of the reasons I see as Floyd not being a one and done deal is how they structured his contract this year. In order to fit it into the cap, they actually pushed $3.3M of it into next year. Why would you create dead cap for a guy who isn't going to be extended? Why would a player accept a contract structured like that? What this shows is that both parties understand that there will be a second contract. Understand that Floyd signed in the last week of April in the midst of the pandemic when there was and still is a great deal of uncertainty on the 2021 cap. The way this is structured is in many ways no different than what was done with Ramsey and Kupp. The implications are clear that the dead cap amount will be built into the next contract.

This is why IMO it's clear that Floyd is next on their priority list. It's also clear by implication that Ebukam, Johnson and Everett probably won't be extended as there is no way I can see them giving all 3 market value contracts. Of the 3 the smallest extension is likely to be Ebukam's and therefore much easier to structure to fit under their remaining cap space. The market for safety and TE has exploded and Snead has IMO correctly anticipated this. That accounts for the drafting of Burgess and Hopkins so the replacements are already on the team with one year's experience. Hollins was signed with 3 years on his rookie deal which the Rams picked up since he was signed off the waiver wire. He is in no means an experienced SAM LB but he has all the traits you look for in the position, i.e. size, speed, and positional versatility. So I feel he's the Ram's insurance should they not be able to extend Ebukam.

This stands in stark contrast to how teams like the Saints handled their draft and extension of Kamara. The Saints knew Kamara needed to be extended or released. They had a first round pick and multiple 3rd round picks yet they didn't take a RB.

Ram65

Legend
He's signed thru 2022.

Woods is a free agent in 2022. He is signed through 2021. He does have this year and next year remaining as a Ram on his current contract.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woods is a free agent in 2022. He is signed through 2021. He does have this year and next year remaining as a Ram on his current contract.
Yes and no, this is technically the 2020/21 season and next year is the 2021/22 season (start and finish) he's on the team for 2 more years this year and next year.

Ram65

Legend
I think some of the signings are wait and see.

Easier to illuminate ones that will most likely be not resigned because they have players to take over.

JJ
Everett
Reynolds

Floyd signed a weird deal where the Rams prorated his singing bonus over three years even though he only has a contract for one year. Makes me wonder.

I think the Rams have to see how players play before they resign them. Blythe, Ebu and Floyd could go either way depending on play and market value.

If they let Hill go then Williams would be a target resign.
Mundt shouldn't cost too much and should have a limited market.

Woods is a possibility.

TexasRam

Legend
I think their priority will be Floyd then Ebukam. I don't understand why people think Floyd is a one and done player. They brought him in just like they did with Fowler who flourished in this system. It will be the same with Floyd only he is far and away more versatile. No question he will be extended IMO.

Ebukam is the most under rated player on this board when it comes to a legitimate impact player. People forget it was his hit on Brees that got the Rams into the SB. SAM is probably one of the more difficult positions to play well. The SAM must be big enough to set a hard edge in the run game. He must be fast enough to contain running QBs and to cover TEs and RBs in the flats. He also must have at least 4.5 speed to be a legitimate outside blitzer.

People think that because they have Lewis that Ebukam is expendable and that isn't true. What is true is that they might be outbid for his extension. That is the reason I feel they signed Hollins as he has the versatility to play the position. But as long as Lewis is a question mark on his health, then Hollins IMO will be needed to fill the DE position once Brockers leaves next year.

It was Fowler who hit Brees to force the interception that JJ caught. Or are you referring to another play?

I don't see Ebukam as a must sign. He has made plays at times but overall he is a liability in my book. My biggest problem is his inability to breakdown in pursuit. He consistently misses tackles because of it. Don't get me wrong I think they guy is an excellent person and a decent backup, but by no means is he an impact or irreplaceable player in my book. I don't think Ebukam can cover TE's or RB's at all. He's basically a quick burst, high motor guy that lacks instincts and shedding ability.

Floyd has been an epic bust thus far. I hope he turns it around for us but realistically, talking about an extension for someone that has been lacking in sacks when that is what he was drafted for is crazy talk. That is why he is on a one year show me contract. Because he hasn't done anything to warrant a big contract and we were in desperation mode with cap constraints and the departure of our starting outside pass rushers.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Sem 65 is spot on anytime you want to know signings cap hits etc etc go to overthecap.com

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It was Fowler who hit Brees to force the interception that JJ caught. Or are you referring to another play?

I don't see Ebukam as a must sign. He has made plays at times but overall he is a liability in my book. My biggest problem is his inability to breakdown in pursuit. He consistently misses tackles because of it. Don't get me wrong I think they guy is an excellent person and a decent backup, but by no means is he an impact or irreplaceable player in my book. I don't think Ebukam can cover TE's or RB's at all. He's basically a quick burst, high motor guy that lacks instincts and shedding ability.

Floyd has been an epic bust thus far. I hope he turns it around for us but realistically, talking about an extension for someone that has been lacking in sacks when that is what he was drafted for is crazy talk. That is why he is on a one year show me contract. Because he hasn't done anything to warrant a big contract and we were in desperation mode with cap constraints and the departure of our starting outside pass rushers.

How in the world can you call Floyd a bust at this point?

Gawd!