Rams Player Contracts - Who’s Next?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
After signing Cooper Kupp to an extension (GREAT NEWS!!!) what Rams Players (John Johnson, etc) can we expect/hope to see the Rams trying to extend next? I will admit that I was very pessimistic about the Rams re-signing Jalen Ramsey to an extension and signing Cooper Kupp is an absolutely bonus!!! I don’t know how the Rams front office are getting these deals done BUT I figure that is not my concern I should just be happy they are getting them done!!!

Last edited:

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
After signing Cooper Kupp to an extension (GREAT NEWS!!!) what Rams Players (John Johnson, etc) can we expect/hope to see the Rams trying to extend next? I will admit that I was very pessimistic about the Rams re-signing Jalen Ramsey to an extension and signing Cooper Kupp is an absolutely bonus!!! I don’t know how the Rams front office are getting these deals done BUT I figure that is not me concern I should just be happy they are getting them done!!!

I'm not sure anyone is next this year possibly Everett but I think now they just play out the season and wait to see what lyes ahead next season cap wise etc. We don't really have big franchise altering contracts to hand out next off season which is a relief. JJ is the only one and it painse to say we may have replacements on hand already, Floyd jury still out Everett we also need to see....ebukam same. More importantly we may be in desparate need of a left tackle. With another draft we will hopefully add more reinforcements and I'm sure some player will naturally want to play here.

Unless I missed something I still don't know how Warford is out there and I'd love to have him on this team. I know greedy but unless he opting out no reason he should still be available.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure anyone is next this year possibly Everett but I think now they just play out the season and wait to see what lyes ahead next season cap wise etc. We don't really have big franchise altering contracts to hand out next off season which is a relief. JJ is the only one and it painse to say we may have replacements on hand already, Floyd jury still out Everett we also need to see....ebukam same. More importantly we may be in desparate need of a left tackle. With another draft we will hopefully add more reinforcements and I'm sure some player will naturally want to play here.

Unless I missed something I still don't know how Warford is out there and I'd love to have him on this team. I know greedy but unless he opting out no reason he should still be available.

Agreed! I am really surprised/THRILLED that the Rams were able to extend both Ramsey and Kupp so I don’t want to get too greedy!!!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Agreed! I am really surprised/THRILLED that the Rams were able to extend both Ramsey and Kupp so I don’t want to get too greedy!!!

Lol bro we are fanatics we all greedy look after all this awesome news I'm asking for Warford. We just all love the rams and we all want to improve "our" team. Greed is good when it's for our squad lol. My wish is one day they go to a luxury tax lol then we could spend stand money day and night.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
I think next money goes toward mid tier free agents, ala Patriots. We are doing well locking up what we spend our picks on ( via draft or trade), which is how it should be.I too hope some emphasis on Oline. I love JJ, but think his money would be better spent in other places, considering how good our safety corps seem to be doing along, what worries me is who will call defensive plays if he goes next year.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think next money goes toward mid tier free agents, ala Patriots. We are doing well locking up what we spend our picks on ( via draft or trade), which is how it should be.I too hope some emphasis on Oline. I love JJ, but think his money would be better spent in other places, considering how good our safety corps seem to be doing along, what worries me is who will call defensive plays if he goes next year.

I've been thinking that same thing. JJ's experience with leading our D will increase his value to us next year, which makes it a tougher problem.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
29A68D61-4AAA-4493-B864-2D9E2D7B313E.jpeg

tenor.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
While I confess to being as greedy as anybody else, I think that the Rams are gonna tap the brakes on big extensions moving forward.

I think JJ is a goner in ‘21. But his replacement(s) are already on the roster.

Everett is almost surely gone, too, unless he absolutely explodes this year.

Floyd might just be extended IF he has a really good year. A ‘pretty good’ year won’t be enough. One or more of our current bench edge players might earn a starting role for next year. Otherwise, the Rams will turn to FA or the draft to replace Floyd. Frankly, I’m cautiously optimistic about Floyd as a Ram beyond this year, but he’s gotta earn it on the field.

Ebu will either have a great year or he won’t. A great year probably puts him on the inside track for an extension and starting position in ‘21. But, like Floyd, ‘pretty good‘ just won‘t be enough.

I predict that Whit will retire after this year which will free up some useful cap money. I believe Whit’s replacement is already on the roster in Boom.

Rams seem to be in the catbird’s seat for contracts in ’21 because there will be relatively few key contracts presenting cap problems.

I mean, it’s ALMOST as if the Rams are executing a Plan. Lol.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at the 2021 free agents I think most of the bigger names on the list will all walk.

JJ3 for sure will with our recent safety draft picks.
Everett the same with Blanton? Blythe if he's retained I can't see commanding a big payday at all.
Floyd IMO is a one and done. Can't see Ebukam taking a big payday either.
Jake McQuaide is a free agent but what does a long snapper get $2-3 million aav?
Shelton no
Malcolm Brown go with Akers and Henderson getting a year under their belts same with the Jones seems a hot name and the recent addition of Capri so I think Brown walks.
Troy Hill could be retained but I'd wager he walks and Long gets a shot to step up and a 3rd round pick is added IMO.
Reynolds will likely get paid more than he's worth to the Rams with the addition of Jefferson.
Mundt Darious Williams and Howard are all replaceable.

2022 has some bigger names in Woods (who could be extended next or traded).
Corbett, Allen and Noteboom all young guys and how much are they counted on for the future? Could see all of them extended or none.
Kenny Young, Obo, Lawler, Reeder, Kiser, Polite and Joseph-Day all young guys we'll see how they do this year.
Lastly Wolford, how much does McVay like his #2 and how much is he worth if he's never on the field?

In the end I think Woods and McQuaide are the only two I'd for sure extend and it's hard to tell how much Woods would get but you gotta figure it's similar to Kupp.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I confess to being as greedy as anybody else, I think that the Rams are gonna tap the brakes on big extensions moving forward.

I think JJ is a goner in ‘21. But his replacement(s) are already on the roster.

Everett is almost surely gone, too, unless he absolutely explodes this year.

Floyd might just be extended IF he has a really good year. A ‘pretty good’ year won’t be enough. One or more of our current bench edge players might earn a starting role for next year. Otherwise, the Rams will turn to FA or the draft to replace Floyd. Frankly, I’m cautiously optimistic about Floyd as a Ram beyond this year, but he’s gotta earn it on the field.

Ebu will either have a great year or he won’t. A great year probably puts him on the inside track for an extension and starting position in ‘21. But, like Floyd, ‘pretty good‘ just won‘t be enough.

I predict that Whit will retire after this year which will free up some useful cap money. I believe Whit’s replacement is already on the roster in Boom.

Rams seem to be in the catbird’s seat for contracts in ’21 because there will be relatively few key contracts presenting cap problems.

I mean, it’s ALMOST as if the Rams are executing a Plan. Lol.

With Everett and Floyd, the only way we re-sign them is if they have mediocre seasons - if they have big years, they will get paid and no way it will be by us.

As for the rest of our money next year, it will probably go toward pass rushing (replacements for Ebukam and Floyd) and OL (Whitworth and Blythe). Every other position group will be in decent shape.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Looking at the 2021 free agents I think most of the bigger names on the list will all walk.

Everett the same with Blanton? Blythe if he's retained I can't see commanding a big payday at all.
Jake McQuaide is a free agent but what does a long snapper get $2-3 million aav?
Shelton no
Malcolm Brown go with Akers and Henderson getting a year under their belts same with the Jones seems a hot name and the recent addition of Capri so I think Brown walks.
Troy Hill could be retained but I'd wager he walks and Long gets a shot to step up and a 3rd round pick is added IMO.
Reynolds will likely get paid more than he's worth to the Rams with the addition of Jefferson.

Corbett, Allen and Noteboom all young guys and how much are they counted on for the future? Could see all of them extended or none.
Kenny Young, Obo, Lawler, Reeder, Kiser, Polite and Joseph-Day all young guys we'll see how they do this year.
Lastly Wolford, how much does McVay like his #2 and how much is he worth if he's never on the field?

In the end I think Woods and McQuaide are the only two I'd for sure extend and it's hard to tell how much Woods would get but you gotta figure it's similar to Kupp.

I mostly agree with your take, OldSchool.

But I differ on a few players that you’re currently dismissing for ‘21.

I’d prefer a wait and see on these guys. One or more of them might have a helluva year and earn an extension:

Floyd
Ebu
Blythe
Corbett
Darious Williams

Depending on what they may well show us this year, any or all of them could earn reasonable extensions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With Everett and Floyd, the only way we re-sign them is if they have mediocre seasons - if they have big years, they will get paid and no way it will be by us.

As for the rest of our money next year, it will probably go toward pass rushing (replacements for Ebukam and Floyd) and OL (Whitworth and Blythe). Every other position group will be in decent shape.
Yeah I agree with that. Although for the most part it's still hard to find good LTs on the market so Whit's health and level of play are a big deal for us. I think we need to draft his replacement if we don't already have it on the roster.

Edge I think is a little easier to find especially if you run a 3-4, so yeah I would think that's a possible use of cap next offseason.

The OL has room to really eff things up here. If they play well things are going to be golden. But if not, things could get really ugly. I do think we need to draft a LT still but this season should shed a lot of light on things.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mostly agree with your take, OldSchool.

But I differ on a few players that you’re currently dismissing for ‘21.

I’d prefer a wait and see on these guys. One or more of them might have a helluva year and earn an extension:

Floyd
Ebu
Blythe
Corbett
Darious Williams

Depending on what they may well show us this year, any or all of them could earn reasonable extensions.
Floyd in particular above anybody else I think is gone. One year deal for $5 million with the $5 million signing bonus spread over 3 years. No way we sign him to another $5 million or more next year when we don't know what the cap will be next year. As it stands if the cap remains flat we're only looking at about $18 million in cap space without accounting for rookie class and whatever Kupp gets paid next year. Like it or not any edge will be a cheap vet or young guys on the roster now.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think their priority will be Floyd then Ebukam. I don't understand why people think Floyd is a one and done player. They brought him in just like they did with Fowler who flourished in this system. It will be the same with Floyd only he is far and away more versatile. No question he will be extended IMO.

Ebukam is the most under rated player on this board when it comes to a legitimate impact player. People forget it was his hit on Brees that got the Rams into the SB. SAM is probably one of the more difficult positions to play well. The SAM must be big enough to set a hard edge in the run game. He must be fast enough to contain running QBs and to cover TEs and RBs in the flats. He also must have at least 4.5 speed to be a legitimate outside blitzer.

People think that because they have Lewis that Ebukam is expendable and that isn't true. What is true is that they might be outbid for his extension. That is the reason I feel they signed Hollins as he has the versatility to play the position. But as long as Lewis is a question mark on his health, then Hollins IMO will be needed to fill the DE position once Brockers leaves next year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Shelton no

The bolded is all I disagree with. Williams, Mundt, and Howard are all RFAs (in Howard's case, I believe he's an ERFA). No reason not to sign them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The bolded is all I disagree with. Williams, Mundt, and Howard are all RFAs (in Howard's case, I believe he's an ERFA). No reason not to sign them.
None of them has in game production we can't replace though. Williams had a few games he saw action in and we're only keeping 4 CB on the active roster. Maybe he does something this year as CB4 that makes him irreplaceable but I'm not holding my breath.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
None of them has in game production we can't replace though. Williams had a few games he saw action in and we're only keeping 4 CB on the active roster. Maybe he does something this year as CB4 that makes him irreplaceable but I'm not holding my breath.

Williams looked really good in limited time, Mundt was a solid run blocker, and Howard's still an inside linebacker who can compete. I'm not saying they're irreplaceable, but there's no reason not to re-sign them.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think their priority will be Floyd then Ebukam. I don't understand why people think Floyd is a one and done player. They brought him in just like they did with Fowler who flourished in this system. It will be the same with Floyd only he is far and away more versatile. No question he will be extended IMO.

Ebukam is the most under rated player on this board when it comes to a legitimate impact player. People forget it was his hit on Brees that got the Rams into the SB. SAM is probably one of the more difficult positions to play well. The SAM must be big enough to set a hard edge in the run game. He must be fast enough to contain running QBs and to cover TEs and RBs in the flats. He also must have at least 4.5 speed to be a legitimate outside blitzer.

People think that because they have Lewis that Ebukam is expendable and that isn't true. What is true is that they might be outbid for his extension. That is the reason I feel they signed Hollins as he has the versatility to play the position. But as long as Lewis is a question mark on his health, then Hollins IMO will be needed to fill the DE position once Brockers leaves next year.
They had cap room when they kept Fowler.... And keep in mind he signed a 1 yr deal.

They have no cap room and are currently about $20M over next yrs cap and that is before they resign RFA's, add a draft class, and fill out a 55 man roster.

So they will have to release guys and restructure deals just to get under the cap, let alone to make a big signing.

Floyd is a one yr addition. Plus if he has as good a yr as you think he will, they won't be able to afford him. Which is why they drafted Lewis and added Hollins. Not to mention still having Obo and Polite.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Williams looked really good in limited time, Mundt was a solid run blocker, and Howard's still an inside linebacker who can compete. I'm not saying they're irreplaceable, but there's no reason not to re-sign them.
As with any players it depends on the value they and their agents assign to them and what other teams think of them. I didn't make a list of people to get rid of just an opinion if they should or had to be resigned. Unless Williams balls out none of those guys are have to resign status.