Rams plan to have competition at kicker for next season/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Yes, he is. I know a lot of us were pulling for this guy, but more are pulling for the Rams to win.
Kickers are strange animals. Maybe his and the teams infatuation with a record field goal was his undoing.
Got no problem bringing him back for the minimum to compete.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He has been a huge disappointment. Besides his amazing distance, the big story early on was that he was not affected by pressure.

Well the results speak otherwise. I can't remember him EVER kicking a pressure kick to win a game. We have 7-10 wins we left on the table in the Fisher era because of Shank Zuerlein. Never missed short. Ever. Tease.

Between he and Cook we should have had 3-4 winning seasons to look back on.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ITobh6zgM6Y

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
He only "missed" 4 from inside the 50.
I used to focus on only the short FGs, chalking the 50+ up to chance, but I was wrong. In this era you have to also start including beyond 50 as almost automatic, too. If you go down the list of kickers pretty much every single one was 6-8, 7-9, 4-5, 6-6, and so on from over 50 yards. The only one almost as bad as GZ over 50 yards was Gould at 4-10. GZ's 3-9 just doesn't cut it in today's game, and there's no excuse for him to be so bad over 50 yards with his leg strength.

Debacled

Starter
I used to focus on only the short FGs, chalking the 50+ up to chance, but I was wrong. In this era you have to also start including beyond 50 as almost automatic, too. If you go down the list of kickers pretty much every single one was 6-8, 7-9, 4-5, 6-6, and so on from over 50 yards. The only one almost as bad as GZ over 50 yards was Gould at 4-10. GZ's 3-9 just doesn't cut it in today's game, and there's no excuse for him to be so bad over 50 yards with his leg strength.

I'm not going to waste my time going through each kickers stats on the year, but 50+ is pretty broad. Most kickers don't even get run out there for anything over 55 yards.

Blair Walsh for example, this seasons kicking champion, was 6-8 from 50+ but didn't attempt a single kick over 54 yards. In fact his makes were from 51, 52, 53, 53, 53, and 54 yards. Yeah I know GZ missed a couple from those ranges, but he also had two attempts of 63. He had one from 50 get blocked (again I think the blocking on the FG unit is to blame here), and a 52 yarder he missed was at that windy game in Baltimore where Keenum was having trouble completing passes let alone making a FG.

Whats that leave us with? The 2 misses I mentioned earlier, a 53 yarder against GB, and the 52 yarder against the 49ers this past weekend (while playing with a bum leg. Even the announcers noticed it with how shallow his kickoffs were).

Am I saying he is gods gift to kicking? Of course not, he does have hiccups and has consistency issues from time to time. With that in mind I don't think its worth kicking him to the curb over. He has RARE leg strength and people are taking that for granted. There is a reason there have only been 15 FGs made from over 60 yards, and GZ already has his name attached to two of those kicks in his 4 year career.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

Touché. I guess with your Avatar you are pretty invested in GZ. Thanks for the memory. I didn't realize how close to a disaster THAT kick was also. Watch it again. The left side blocking collapsed. Overtime. Niners. (Sound familiar?) I watched it twice. How did that guy NOT block that kick?

The kick, as usual, had plenty of distance. He tried his best to shank it, but it squeezed in the left upright. :rolllaugh:
Sorry. Couldn't resist. I'm actually a huge fan of Greg. He has just been frustrating.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Brian Schottenheimer might have the inside track for the Rams to go after Georgia's fine Kicker, Marshall Morgan, in the later rounds.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Touché. I guess with your Avatar you are pretty invested in GZ. Thanks for the memory. I didn't realize how close to a disaster THAT kick was also. Watch it again. The left side blocking collapsed. Overtime. Niners. (Sound familiar?) I watched it twice. How did that guy NOT block that kick?

The kick, as usual, had plenty of distance. He tried his best to shank it, but it squeezed in the left upright. :rolllaugh:
Sorry. Couldn't resist. I'm actually a huge fan of Greg. He has just been frustrating.
Haha but no you're actually right. He's been extremely inconsistent this year and if we had a kicker like Gostkowski we would be 10-6 at the very least. GZ never had to deal with pressure from the crowd in college and that was a gripe coming out. I just always liked the nicknames he got.

Oh, and I can't resist proving people wrong when they say "I've NEVER seen this guy do THIS before!" Because everyone knows, only siths deal in absolutes.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Too bad. I think we all had high hopes that GZ would be the Rams kicker for a decade + after his rookie season. Since then, my confidence in him has been spiraling downward. I expected him to miss most of the kicks he missed this year. A lot of them were very tough kicks, but that was why we all liked him in the first place right? At this point, I just don't trust him with the game on the line. Hopefully he can turn it around.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing wrong with competition. We'll see if Greg can win it. Personally, I think he's been made a bit of a scapegoat this year. Most kickers have fragile confidence. Fisher did him a real disservice this year by forcing him to kick long field goal after long field goal. And worst of all, after Greg got injured, Fisher didn't IR him and stick with Hocker. He trotted him out week after week with an injury and asked him to attempt quite a few long field goals in crucial situations.

Some will say, "whatever, that's his job." Yep, it is. But most coaches try to put their players in a position to succeed. Fisher hung Greg out to dry this year. Prior to this year, Greg had been money in clutch situations. Hopefully, Greg gets his confidence back, gets healthy, wins the competition, and the offense is actually good enough that he's not constantly being forced to kick long field goals.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kickers are strange animals. Maybe his and the teams infatuation with a record field goal was his undoing.
Got no problem bringing him back for the minimum to compete.
Totally agree on this.
In a way, it reminds me of the Josh Brown situation. Rams foolishly spent a bundle on him, and because the team was so bad, he had very few opportunity to shine. So when he did miss, it seemed so crucial. When he was let go, it was a relief and now he's doing just fine kicking for the Giants
I agree that the infatuation with his big leg has been a detractor and maybe some competition can straighten him out. If not, he wont be the first talented kicker replaced, nor will he be the last

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Haha but no you're actually right. He's been extremely inconsistent this year and if we had a kicker like Gostkowski we would be 10-6 at the very least. GZ never had to deal with pressure from the crowd in college and that was a gripe coming out. I just always liked the nicknames he got.

Oh, and I can't resist proving people wrong when they say "I've NEVER seen this guy do THIS before!" Because everyone knows, only siths deal in absolutes.

You're ABSOLUTELY right. :whistle:

MountainRam

Rookie
Offseason is offically here guys! We are all excited to talk about kickers in the draft. yeyyy!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Nothing wrong with competition. We'll see if Greg can win it. Personally, I think he's been made a bit of a scapegoat this year. Most kickers have fragile confidence. Fisher did him a real disservice this year by forcing him to kick long field goal after long field goal. And worst of all, after Greg got injured, Fisher didn't IR him and stick with Hocker. He trotted him out week after week with an injury and asked him to attempt quite a few long field goals in crucial situations.

Some will say, "whatever, that's his job." Yep, it is. But most coaches try to put their players in a position to succeed. Fisher hung Greg out to dry this year. Prior to this year, Greg had been money in clutch situations. Hopefully, Greg gets his confidence back, gets healthy, wins the competition, and the offense is actually good enough that he's not constantly being forced to kick long field goals.

I agree.