Rams plan to have competition at kicker for next season/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams plan to have competition at kicker for next season
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...to-have-competition-at-kicker-for-next-season

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Whether or not the St. Louis Rams re-sign kicker Greg Zuerlein this offseason, they're planning on keeping open the option for a change at the position.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher volunteered that information earlier this week when assessing where the Rams went wrong in their 7-9 campaign.

"Greg has been asked to do a lot of things, kick a lot of long field goals," Fisher said. "Obviously his numbers aren’t what we hoped they would be. We have confidence in him, but in all likelihood there will probably be some competition with him in camp next year, which will make him better."

That declaration comes on the heels of Zuerlein's worst season in the NFL.

Among the 37 kickers who attempted a field goal in 2015, Zuerlein ranked 35th in the league in field goal percentage as he converted 20 of 30 for the season. Only former Steelers kicker Josh Scobee and former Tampa Bay kicker Kyle Brindza came in below Zuerlein's 66.7 percent conversion rate, and that duo attempted 10 and 12 field goals, respectively. Zuerlein was also 26-of-28 on extra points.

As Fisher pointed out, the Rams did ask a lot of the 28-year-old Zuerlein when it came to his field goal tries. He attempted nine field goals of 50-plus yards, making three. Those nine tries were the second-most among all kickers.

Perhaps most frustrating was the timing of some of Zuerlein's misses. He missed a field goal and an extra point in a three-point loss to Baltimore, missed a 48-yard field goal in an overtime loss to Minnesota and failed to convert two field goals in a three-point overtime loss to San Francisco. A make or two in there and the Rams' season might have been much different.

To be fair, Zuerlein also saw three kicks blocked and did set a franchise record in the Minnesota game by converting a 61-yarder.

Nonetheless, the always-accountable fourth-year kicker was the first to admit that his 2015 season simply wasn't good enough.

"Obviously, the production hasn’t been where it needs to be," Zuerlein said. "So that’s something that I can’t control right now. I had my opportunities, I just didn’t do as good as I would have liked so now we’ll just see what happens.

"Any time you go out there and miss kicks, you are not going to be happy about it. I think I’ve got to get better and convert those kicks. Really, that’s all it comes down to is making kicks, and I didn’t make as many as I would have liked."

Before this season, Zuerlein's tenure with the Rams had been up and down. In 2013, he made 93 percent of his field goal tries; those numbers dipped to 80 percent in 2014 prior to this season's major drop-off. There's never been any denying Zuerlein's leg strength, but consistency has been an issue, especially the past two seasons.

This year, Zuerlein said he wasn't really able to pinpoint the cause of his struggles, though he did battle a leg injury that kept him out of a couple of games late in the season. He had to scale back his kicks to keep from overworking his kicking leg and says it's something he'll have to monitor in the future.

"I thought I was hitting the ball pretty well coming into the season, probably the best I ever have," Zuerlein said. "It’s one of those things, I can’t put my finger on it right now. For one reason or another, it just didn’t happen. But I’m still a good kicker, I still believe in myself. So whatever happens, I think I’ll be all right."

When Zuerlein says "whatever happens," he is referring to his pending free agency. For a player who early in his career seemed like a long-term answer at the position, that future with the Rams now seems far less certain.

The shape of any potential market for Zuerlein won't be clear for another couple of months, and for his part, the kicker makes it clear he'd like to stay in St. Louis if given the opportunity. In the meantime, he's going to do his best to focus on the things he can control.

"You never know," Zuerlein said. "Everything is so up in the air you don’t know what’s going to happen so I really am trying to approach this offseason just like any other. Rest, get healthy is probably the biggest thing and then just try to get better.

"I love it here. In a perfect world, that’s what would happen."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Fassel struck gold at Punter with an UDRFA in Johnny Hekker, let him find a kicker and there should be several available as well. If the Steelers let Chris Boswell go I would jump on him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I approve of this. The novelty of Greg the Leg wore off over a year ago for this fan. Average kickers are a dime a dozen. We can do better.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I approve of this. The novelty of Greg the Leg wore off over a year ago for this fan. Average kickers are a dime a dozen. We can do better.

With the added bonus of maybe without the possibility of a 60+ yarder, the O goes for it more.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Sometimes a change in venue is good for kickers. Look at Jeff Wilkins. He left the whiners and was very successful for the RAMS. I think we might be able to find a kicker from another team looking for a change. Greg might be a great kid, but he hasn't lived up to Fisher's hype. I would rather see someone who is virtually automatic from 50 yards in and 100% on PATs versus a guy who can bang out 60+ yard kicks only in practice and warm-ups.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Find a kicker that's accurate inside 50 and maybe the offense won't rely on a 60 yard field goal . I have no confidence in GZ

RamzFanz

Damnit
Before this season, Zuerlein's tenure with the Rams had been up and down. In 2013, he made 93 percent of his field goal tries; those numbers dipped to 80 percent in 2014 prior to this season's major drop-off. There's never been any denying Zuerlein's leg strength, but consistency has been an issue, especially the past two seasons.

No, that's not "up and down", that's down.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yep to this, not only should GZ have to compete for the job, but the job should go to someone else initially and GZ should have to be absolutely perfect in camp/preseason to win it back. Sad thing is a few years ago a kicker like GZ would have been amazing to have. He ranks #52 all-time FG accuracy and has that glorious distance. But he's only 26th-best against other active kickers, it's time to get someone that's gonna be near the top of accuracy to compete in the modern kicking era.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
He just wasn't that good this season. He cost us games. All well and good having a strong leg but accuracy is the key. Competition should make him improve. He will need to.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Kickers are drafted every season that do better than GZ did this year. Even undrafted guys too. We can get a guy on the cheap who can be very good for us. Competition is always good.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Competition for GZ sounds good.

I am rooting for him, but have to admit I pucker up every time he lines up for a field goal.

Debacled

Starter
Posted this in another thread, he is catching a lot of flack and that 66% looks a whole lot worse than it should.

Missed 2 against GB (Missed from 53, 63, and had a 50 yarder blocked)
Missed 2 against the Browns (missed from 35, missed from 63)
Had a 40 yarder blocked against the 49ers (week 8)
Missed from 48 against the Vikings (would have been a game winner)
Missed from 52 against the Ravens (in terrible windy conditions)
Missed from 52 against the 49ers (and had a game winning 48 yarder blocked)

He only "missed" 4 from inside the 50. A possible game winner in Minnesota (that wouldn't have even been needed to kick if the winds weren't a factor when going for 2 instead of kicking the XP in one direction earlier in the game. Missed from 35 against the Browns which didn't factor. The 3rd was blocked by the 49ers in a win as was the 4th in OT due to a missed blocking assignment which ultimately lost the game.

Personally I'd like to have an offense (cough cough QB) which doesn't need to rely on kicking FGs regularly from 50+. Or in GZs case from 60+. I do like the fact that he has the leg to hit from 60+ in a do or die situation, but with the team needing FGs scoring points in the teens I'd be lying if I said I thought he was high up on the list of concerns.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ka'Imi Fairbairn, UCLA, hit a 60 yarder this year, he's the best FG kicker in college. Good at kickoffs too.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Bring in the best UDFA kicker you can, have him and GZ kick 30 kicks at 50 yards out a day plus 20 kicks at random spots from the 30-55 yard line. Whoever has the best completion % when roster cuts start wins the starting job. The end.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
He has been a huge disappointment. Besides his amazing distance, the big story early on was that he was not affected by pressure.

Well the results speak otherwise. I can't remember him EVER kicking a pressure kick to win a game. We have 7-10 wins we left on the table in the Fisher era because of Shank Zuerlein. Never missed short. Ever. Tease.

Between he and Cook we should have had 3-4 winning seasons to look back on.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like the big leg no doubt about it having the ability to score from distance is a plus but missing 1/3 of your kicks over a season, like he said himself it isn't good enough. Bring on the competition and let the best man win.