Rams’ plan at center is no longer a guarded secret

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams’ plan at center is no longer a guarded secret

THOUSAND OAKS — After the Rams made Matthew Stafford their new quarterback, the big question was who will snap him the ball.

A clear favorite for the role has emerged. It’s Austin Corbett, who has played left and right guard for the Rams but began his NFL career as a center with the Browns.

Corbett practiced at center with the first unit on Thursday, while Bobby Evans stepped into Corbett’s right guard spot, during the first session open to the media in the organized-team-activities phase of the Rams’ spring workouts.

Coach Sean McVay said Brian Allen and Coleman Shelton will compete for the job but the 6-foot-4, 306-pound Corbett, 25, is showing the athletic and mental skills needed to play center.

“Austin is somebody that we’re excited to see how he handles some of the things that really require some extra communication. He’s done a good job with that,” McVay said at California Lutheran University. “I think he and Matthew have established a nice rapport together.”

The plan at center was a mystery after 2020 starter Austin Blythe signed with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Rams drafted no offensive linemen.

But it appears McVay and new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry had Corbett in mind all along, a move that would give the Rams a different starting center in Week 1 for the fourth consecutive season, following John Sullivan, Allen and Blythe.

Sliding Corbett over from guard fits with McVay’s emphasis for versatile linemen and General Manager Les Snead’s insistence on the center being familiar with the offense.

Evans, 24, who is 6-4 and 312 pounds, is a beneficiary of how the Rams cross-train linemen for different positions. He saw most of his action in his first two years filling in for Rob Havenstein at right tackle late in 2019.

“I think the overall athleticism that Bobby has enables him to be able to play outside (at tackle) with his length and his size, but then he’s got the quickness when things happen a little bit faster on the interior parts of the line, (and he’s) a really smart player,” McVay said.

If Corbett and Evans hold those spots and David Edwards remains at left guard, a trio of 24- and 25-year-olds would play between tackles Andrew Whitworth, 39, and Havenstein, 29.

“I feel good about where we’re at right now, and it’s a never-ending process,” McVay said of the line.

BACK TO IRVINE

McVay confirmed that the Rams will hold training camp at UC Irvine this summer, returning to where they trained for four years before the COVID-19 pandemic kept NFL teams at their in-season facilities in 2020.

That’s not a surprise, with limits on sports attendance being lifted. In Irvine, more than 10,000 fans at a time have been able to watch practices.

Rookies and quarterbacks will report to training camp on July 25, other veterans on July 27, McVay said.

SCRIMMAGES PLANNED

The Rams are scheduling combined practices with the Las Vegas Raiders and Dallas Cowboys during training camp.

McVay likes to give his starters live action in those controlled scrimmages instead of preseason games, and Stafford said that was his own approach with the Detroit Lions.

“It lets guys that maybe won’t play in a (preseason) game go out and get a bunch of live reps against a team without the risk of a huge injury,” Stafford said Monday.

THUMBS UP

Two months after thumb ligament surgery, Stafford looked sharp throwing downfield passes in Thursday’s drills

McVay said he likes the players’ intensity in practice more than 100 days before the team’s Sept. 12 regular-season opener vs. the Chicago Bears.
“I like the urgency that’s been set by our veterans, and then the rookies saying, ‘Hey, that’s what the expectations are,’ ” McVay said.

HEAD COUNT

Several Rams skipped Thursday’s practice, the last workout of the first of two weeks of OTAs preceding a three-day mandatory minicamp next month. Players not there included defensive tackle Aaron Donald, cornerback Jalen Ramsey, outside linebacker Leonard Floyd, tight end Tyler Higbee and wide receiver DeSean Jackson. Outside linebacker Terrell Lewis and wide receiver Robert Woods were there but didn’t practice.

McVay reported no serious injuries and said veterans who have taken days off from the voluntary sessions have been in touch about their plans.

“They’ve handled it the right way,” McVay said.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Offensive Lineman (15) players on the current roster.

Am I correct that these are all of the offensive lineman on the roster as of 05/28/2021?

LT
Andrew Whitworth
Joseph Noteboom

RT
Rob Havenstein
Bobby Evans T/G
Alaric Jackson
Treymayne Anchrum G/T/C
Max Pircher (some big Italian dude from a minor league team)

LG
David Edwards G/T
Chandler Brewer G/C
Jamil Demby

RG
Austin Corbett G/C
Coleman Shelton

C
Austin Corbett C/G
Brian Allen
Jordan Meredith

?
correct-grunge-stamp-tick-vector-seal-inside-green-mark-dirty-style-round-rubber-imprint-139450581.jpg

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Noteboom will probably be the game day active swing tackle.

That's why I've been pushing for Anchrum to start learning the center/guard spot.

You only have two gameday active OL and you need a tackle type as well as an interior line type.

Even though Anchrum will probably be more successful as an interior linemen, we know that he can play RT in a pinch.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Finally some confirmation on where TC will be! Irvine is a great place and very fan friendly. I'm fortunate to be only a few miles from Irvine so I can be be at most, if not all, practices. I'm no journalist and have no training in writing columns, but I will take notes and piece together some kind of report here at ROD of that days practice and what I thought notable.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Finally some confirmation on where TC will be! Irvine is a great place and very fan friendly. I'm fortunate to be only a few miles from Irvine so I can be be at most, if not all, practices. I'm no journalist and have no training in writing columns, but I will take notes and piece together some kind of report here at ROD of that days practice and what I thought notable.
Very cool. I always look forward to them.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Looking forward to this Brudda!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Auston Corbett is the new Rams OC...

Well, I guess if you can't have me... ~ Quinn Meinerz

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I forgot Corbett was a center before he came to the Rams. I like what we have as far as our starters go. The depth is what worries me though. Although I suppose every team has that to worry about. No one's gonna have starter caliber players 8 deep on their roster.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I forgot Corbett was a center before he came to the Rams.
He really was never a center. Corbett played LT in college. Almost exclusively. He was projected to move inside to G/C in the 2018 Draft evaluations, and was tried at C in the Senior Bowl that year.

When Cleveland made Corbett the first pick in Round 2, it had a major hole at LT because Joe Thomas had just retired. The Browns initially tried Corbett at LT but gave up on that before the Preseason was over. All Pro LG Joel Bitonio was moved outside, and Corbett moved to LG. That also did not work out, and Corbett barely played.

McVay did say Corbett got preseason snaps at center; and I am guessing that was 2019 (his second year) but Corbett has never played center in a Regular Season game.

I think the above is an accurate summary.

He’s turned into a quality guard with the Rams; and may be able to play center now. Sure hope so but it’s conjecture at this point.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1622222705016.png

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I like Corbett. He has a nasty streak to him. Also appears to have a better base than Allen. Looking forward to seeing him at C.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pircher is one big ass dude. Also kind of disappointing to hear that Lewis is restricted. I mean damn if you can't do OTAs how are you gonna survive camp.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Info on the Italian, Pircher, is that he's huge, but also light for his frame; I believe he could easily pack on at least twenty more pounds without losing athleticism. He's also a foreign exchange of sorts; we could put him on the practice squad for a thirteenth spot, and, to my knowledge, nobody can take him the first year.

Also, I want to re-sign Corbett sooner than later. I don't care what it'll take; a top young center - like I think he can be - is worth his weight in gold.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm just waiting to hear what dates will be open to fans so I can schedule my vacation. Hope to see you and @VeteranRamFan for a TC reunion.

dang

Legend
Auston Corbett is the new Rams OC...

Well, I guess if you can't have me... ~ Quinn Meinerz
Meinerz may be a quality NFL OL in a couple years but my guess is most would agree for the next 2 years Corbett would be the better option at OC.