Rams OTAs: Which rookie impressed Sean McVay, injury updates for Terrell Lewis and Darrell Henderson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Rams OTAs: Which rookie impressed Sean McVay, injury updates for Terrell Lewis and Darrell Henderson​

AP21148860882919-scaled-e1622848073891-1024x683.jpg

By Jourdan Rodrigue Jun 4, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

The Rams officially wrapped up their voluntary spring workouts Friday afternoon and are preparing for mandatory minicamp June 8-10 — complete with an open practice at SoFi Stadium on June 10, which fans will be able to attend.
One point of update: Per the protocol established by Rams public relations, I am not able to report which players got first-team or second-team reps unless it’s directly addressed by head coach Sean McVay or the player himself (a policy that is pretty standard across the league). In video call interview sessions, there’s not always the opportunity to follow up on more granular details such as, “Hey, Sean, how much comfort do you have in rotating between Brian Allen and Coleman Shelton at second- and third-string center?” when there are also major storylines to get covered and about which to get commentary and context. So, please bear with me as I’ll do the best I can within these parameters, and please especially pay close attention to when depth charts and position outlooks are released in the coming weeks.
That said, here are notes and observations from Friday’s OTAs:
• Cornerback Robert Rochell, a fourth-round draft pick this spring, is getting thrown right into the mix with the first-team defense out of necessity with Darious Williams and Jalen Ramsey absent from the voluntary programming. It’s a credit to Rochell that he sees this small window as an opportunity. Once minicamp and training camp begin, he’ll be moved back with the second-teamers and will really dig into more special-teams work. He matched up several times against receivers Cooper Kupp and Van Jefferson, who have been the lead receivers for quarterback Matthew Stafford with other veteran players trickling in and out of the workouts.
“That’s probably the best part about it, being thrown right into the mix,” Rochell said. “Just being able to transition and learn the speed of the game — seeing the guys full speed and the guys who do start, being able to just be there and go head-to-head with those guys is great. I’m taking advantage of each day … and just grateful that I am thrown in there a lot and getting those reps.
“I’m most definitely seizing the opportunity because it could have been granted to somebody else. They entrusted me to say that I could potentially be there. Just being able to rotate with guys and get practice reps at that position helps me out in all ways.”
• Running back Darrell Henderson is half-in, half-out of on-field work as he recovers from an unspecified injury, and he worked with vice president of sports medicine and performance Reggie Scott on the side of the field for about 50 percent of Friday’s practice. He did get some on-field work in with the offense, and McVay said he is “making good progress.”
“He’s feeling better and better, and we expect him to be full speed by the time training camp rolls around,” he said.
However, McVay was not able to provide any update on outside linebacker Terrell Lewis, who got a workout in with trainers but stood to the side with teammates during on-field work and did not participate in drills or installation. Lewis has been working through a recurring situation with his knee for the past year or so.
• McVay was asked if a rookie has stood out in the limited capacity of OTAs, and he quickly named Jacob Harris — the raw but explosively athletic tight end drafted in the fourth round this year. Harris has been working almost exclusively with tight ends coach Wes Phillips, who also communicated with him throughout the pre-draft process, so that should provide a clue as to where the Rams will slot him on the roster (although he clearly will be trained as more of a pass-catching and mismatch tight end).
“Jacob Harris is a guy who has definitely stood out,” McVay said. “Just his overall speed, athleticism — you kind of feel him on the field. That’s been in some of the limited seven-on-sevens and kind of running routes on air, and that’s not how you really play football. So there is a real variance when you actually include the offensive and defensive lines.”
With Tyler Higbee absent from the media-viewed portion of OTAs, Harris and second-year tight end Brycen Hopkins have gotten a lot of reps with Stafford.
• Defensive tackle Bobby Brown III’s attention to detail in his note-taking has drawn attention from the staff. Brown attributes his diligence to an interest in writing and his pursuit of the craft as a hobby. He added that his favorite writing and literature topic is mythology.
• Second-year running back Cam Akers took extra time to work on pass protection blocking drills with running backs coach/assistant head coach Thomas Brown between drilling sessions. Akers wants to be an every-down back in 2021 and is preparing for the lead back’s share of snaps, so continuing to hone his blocking and pass protection ability will be important so that the Rams feel they can keep him in the game on passing downs. McVay has high expectations for Akers.
“The biggest thing is that he’s got great natural run instincts, he’s really talented as a pass catcher,” McVay said. “It’s the nuanced understanding of where you fit in some of the protections where the back’s involved, and I think (for Akers) that it’s about continuing to become more and more complete. He’s got the skill set, he’s capable. We really feel the same way about Darrell Henderson as well. Under Coach Brown’s leadership and guidance, I expect that group to really grow.”
• Veteran outside linebacker Leonard Floyd was present for Friday’s workouts and led off the pass rush drills throughout the day. It was interesting to compare his length of frame alongside rookie outside linebacker Chris Garrett — Floyd is 6-foot-6 and Garrett is listed at 6-foot-4, but similarly to Floyd, Garrett seems to have the ability to use his frame (particularly his arms and wingspan) in a way that almost seems to give him a bit of extra length. Obo Okoronkwo, who has dealt with injuries the past two seasons, looked healthy and explosive — and may see a growing role in speed rush packages opposite Floyd if he can stay healthy. Justin Lawler worked his way into the No. 3 spot in drills, as Lewis was not participating in practice.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Excellent!!
Really happy that so many of the vets have been in the OTA participating. The reports give a feel that the competition is welcomed and these guys are ready to put on a great season.

Happy to hear Obo is looking good, I’ve been expecting him to show up and now that he’s healthy i how this can be a breakout year for him.

Rochelle getting reps with ones will give him a leg up and build confidence. We know he won’t be seeing this lose in TC but it doesn’t hurt to see him taking advantage of those opportunities.

On to the next phase!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jordan constrained to not being able to report who is getting reps with the first, second team. When I post camp reports on TC later this summer, that will be one of the first things I'll write about. I will also report on who looked awful and who fucked up, topics paid team reporters wouldn't dare write about.

Terrell Lewis still not able to practice, this guy may never see the field.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Was Long participating? If he was, the lack of info is yet another recent draft pick that you can legitimately be concerned about whether we’ll ever get any returns on.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Terrell Lewis still not able to practice, this guy may never see the field.

That was the knock on him when drafted and it's carried over to the NFL. I concur, I'm starting to believe that Justin Lawler, who did not look bad a couple of years ago has an excellent chance on making the squad because of the unereliablity of Lewis.

Also Darrell Henderson appears to made of glass too, he's always hurt and I don't understand how someone can be hurt after a whole off season and these practices are non contact in shorty pants!

Shuie3225

Starter
McVay was not able to provide any update on outside linebacker Terrell Lewis, who got a workout in with trainers but stood to the side with teammates during on-field work and did not participate in drills or installation. Lewis has been working through a recurring situation with his knee for the past year or so.
Still having issues with the same knee? McVay can't provide an update on him? LMAO. Stick a fork in this guy he's done. Hurt a lot in college = hurt a lot in the pros. Why some people think that suddenly changes playing against bigger, stronger, faster athletes is beyond me. We cannot count on this guy to contribute at all, what a waste of a pick. Hated the pick when we made it. Not worth that risk in the 3rd round when you are constantly trading all your 1st rounders away. Those are premium picks that need to hit.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Bobby Brown writes about mythology? Awesome!

Memento

Name
Jemma
I still have faith in Lewis and Long. Both of them are still very young, and it doesn’t feel right to give up on them yet.

oldnotdead

Legend
I love how Jourdan's reports are so clear and pointed. She is a step above many beat reporters who constantly allow their personal biases to intrude upon their reports. Props to Jourdan I'm glad she's here.

I still have questions about Corbett as a starting Center. He originally played there with the Bengals and struggled badly. I don't think we will know who the starter is until TC. But regardless it's good to know they could be 3 deep at the position. If Corbett is the starter at center I'd be just fine with it because he's a good blocker with decent mobility to get to the second level in the run game.

It is concerning that Lewis' knee issues continue. If it's a microfracture problem then it definitely could be a career-ender as many never fully recover from it. If he can't start there are options. Right now I think Hollins should be their first option. Frankly, I was surprised that Denver released him and the Rams were able to sign him off the waiver wire.

Justin Hollins is a legit edge rusher. He's a perfect fit for that position opposite Floyd. Like Floyd, Justin was underrated by the team that drafted him (5th round). He's got good length at 6'5" with long 33" arms and is even faster than Floyd with 4.4-4.5 type speed. As a part-time player last year he got 3 sacks. So as disappointed in Lewis' health issues, IMO they have their second edge in Hollins and he has shown he can drop into coverage with a PD last year I believe. Hollins is a complete edge.

If they want an early-down DE type then they have J. Williams and Earnest Brown and if they want to keep Okoronkwo he can also play in rotation. I saw the potential in Floyd the minute he was signed off the waiver wire just like Hollins. Under Ram coaching and playing in this defensive scheme, Floyd blossomed into a very good edge. I think they very well could have another one in Hollins. Hollins has the talent to be a starting edge he just needs the opportunity to play. It's why I don't think the Rams are worried about the position, because of Hollins and the depth they have.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I still have questions about Corbett as a starting Center. He originally played there with the Bengals and struggled badly. I don't think we will know who the starter is until TC. But regardless it's good to know they could be 3 deep at the position. If Corbett is the starter at center I'd be just fine with it because he's a good blocker with decent mobility to get to the second level in the run game.

Well, FWIW it was for the Cleveland Browns and Corbett struggled in his first year at every position he played in Cleveland. Came to the Rams, did a good job at LG and really good at RG, so one would surmise, he's more seasoned and ready to lead the Offensive Line in the middle. I have confidence in Corbett from the neck up, the big question will be, can he be consistent with his snaps in shotgun formation, which was Blythe's strength. If Corbett can be consistent with his snaps & make the adjustments on the line of scrimmage, then I believe he'll be a major upgrade over Blythe in the run game & pass protection as well.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I still have faith in Lewis and Long. Both of them are still very young, and it doesn’t feel right to give up on them yet.

I have faith in Long, he has the ability, no he has to answer the call and trust his aggressiveness, not playing tentative. As to Lewis, well, IDK, not sure if that knee can hold up and the Rams knew that when they drafted him, when he plays he's good, but to this point, he does not play often enough and IMO, there should be no limitations during non contact short pant drills because it's only going to get tougher as the Rams move forward.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well, FWIW it was for the Cleveland Browns and Corbett struggled in his first year at every position he played in Cleveland. Came to the Rams, did a good job at LG and really good at RG, so one would surmise, he's more seasoned and ready to lead the Offensive Line in the middle. I have confidence in Corbett from the neck up, the big question will be, can he be consistent with his snaps in shotgun formation, which was Blythe's strength. If Corbett can be consistent with his snaps & make the adjustments on the line of scrimmage, then I believe he'll be a major upgrade over Blythe in the run game & pass protection as well.
We have to remember he was drafted by "those" Cleveland Browns. The Hue Jackson Browns.....morphing into the Greg Williams Browns by midseason.......and then the Freddie Kitchens Browns (6-10) in 2019, which Kevin Stefanski converted into an 11-5 playoff team his rookie season. Can we name 1 player who was "developed" by those incompetents prior to Stefanski?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He needs a mythological nickname Mem
How about Fenrir or Ninki Nanka or something simple like Odin but a nickname for sure
I'm going with Typhon.
Typhon was a giant who was as tall as the stars. His hands stretched east and west and instead of a human head, he had a hundred dragon heads that erupted from his neck and shoulders.
He was by far the largest of all mythological creatures.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I love how Jourdan's reports are so clear and pointed. She is a step above many beat reporters who constantly allow their personal biases to intrude upon their reports. Props to Jourdan I'm glad she's here.

It is concerning that Lewis' knee issues continue. If it's a microfracture problem then it definitely could be a career-ender as many never fully recover from it. If he can't start there are options. Right now I think Hollins should be their first option. Frankly, I was surprised that Denver released him and the Rams were able to sign him off the waiver wire.

Justin Hollins is a legit edge rusher. He's a perfect fit for that position opposite Floyd. Like Floyd, Justin was underrated by the team that drafted him (5th round). He's got good length at 6'5" with long 33" arms and is even faster than Floyd with 4.4-4.5 type speed. As a part-time player last year he got 3 sacks. So as disappointed in Lewis' health issues, IMO they have their second edge in Hollins and he has shown he can drop into coverage with a PD last year I believe. Hollins is a complete edge.

If they want an early-down DE type then they have J. Williams and Earnest Brown and if they want to keep Okoronkwo he can also play in rotation. I saw the potential in Floyd the minute he was signed off the waiver wire just like Hollins. Under Ram coaching and playing in this defensive scheme, Floyd blossomed into a very good edge. I think they very well could have another one in Hollins. Hollins has the talent to be a starting edge he just needs the opportunity to play. It's why I don't think the Rams are worried about the position, because of Hollins and the depth they have.

Agreed on your Hollins take. The end of the season when his snap count was high per game you could see him settling in as a starter opposite to Floyd. Just need to keep Lewis on a pitch count as our #4 behind Okoronkwo.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm going with Typhon.
Typhon was a giant who was as tall as the stars. His hands stretched east and west and instead of a human head, he had a hundred dragon heads that erupted from his neck and shoulders.
He was by far the largest of all mythological creatures.
That’s something I can get behind. Typhon Brown.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@badnews
I can get behind that Typhon Brown.
One more shout out to Finrir taking down Odin like AD on witto wussle
6aaa6beaeddb64f3ac37824030ff90b1.jpg

And then Typhon Wreaking Havoc
TyphonNew.jpg

Last edited: