Rams OT Greg Robinson excels despite being close to 340 lbs.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...binson-excels-despite-a-little-weight-problem

Rams OT Greg Robinson excels despite 'a little weight problem'

IRVINE, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams left tackle Greg Robinson had quite possibly the greatest game of his professional career on Saturday. Rams coach Jeff Fisher volunteered it and Robinson firmly agreed to it, a rousing development for the former No. 2 draft pick who is in desperate need of a breakthrough season.
It happened even though Robinson is admittedly overweight.
"I’m dealing with a little weight problem," Robinson said. "But it’s camp."

Robinson spent the offseason training harder than he ever really has, building strength and working under the tutelage of former Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley. But he's 14 pounds heavier than he'd like to be. Robinson was playing at 336 pounds as of Tuesday's practice. His top range is 325; his ideal weight is 322. And the coaches have been on him about getting it back there.

Robinson called it "water weight" because the heat in Southern California has forced him to consume excessive amounts of water -- but he also knows he must monitor his eating habits.

No more food after 9 p.m.

"Just eat healthier, try to watch what I eat and don’t snack too much," Robinson said. "That’s the main thing. And just be aware of the possibilities of gaining weight. It’s so easy because there’s so much food right now."
The Rams took a big risk by selecting Robinson out of Auburn University with their second overall pick in 2014 and have yet to benefit. Robinson was the most-penalized offensive lineman in the NFL last season, but an even bigger issue was the amount of times he allowed pressure on the Rams' quarterbacks.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Rams' offensive line 28th last season, which spoke loudly of Robinson's shortcomings.

The 23-year-old Robinson needs a big 2016 season to protect the blind side of prized rookie quarterback Jared Goff and to avoid the "draft bust" label. His first chance at that, in the early stages of an eventual 28-24 victory over the Cowboys at a packed Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, was encouraging.

Fisher said it "may have been the best preseason game that Greg has played to date."

"Light years better," Robinson said, "and one of the best games I've had in terms of slowing the game down. I felt no pressure for real. Things were just going smoothly. I wouldn't say there isn't room for improvement, but I do feel like I attacked that game with the right mindset, the proper preparation, and things went a lot smoother than last year."

Robinson merely called it a "stepping stone," but he feels stronger, healthier. He noticed how much quicker he's been coming out of his stance, even with some of that unwanted weight lingering. And he believes his mindset is "just a lot more advanced than last year," when he continually struggled to adapt to the more advanced zone-blocking schemes of the NFL.

Robinson took 13 snaps with the first-team offense on Saturday and never once allowed a hint of pressure. He stepped out to effectively help on running plays, kept defenders in front of him on every chance and did not get penalized. (That's a big deal this year.)

But here's the thing -- it was only 13 snaps.

"I did feel a little winded in the game," Robinson said, "and we didn’t really have many reps."

Yeah, the weight needs to come down

Psycho_X

Legend
Fisher said it "may have been the best preseason game that Greg has played to date."

For 13 snaps of preseason football Greg Robinson was a god... winded... but a god. Can't say this article helps my reservations about him but I guess this is better than him sucking it up in 13 snaps of a preseason game. Already sick of the preseason lol.

jap

Legend
i guess we need the pre-season for GRob to shed 14 pounds, get himself game tough, and officially become Gregzilla. I knew there was a very good reason for playing these games.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really like the depth at left tackle with Greg Robinson & Darrell Williams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I would agree but in my dinky small brain when I consider depth @ left OT I think...
#1-Greg Robinson
#2-Rodger Saffold
#3-Darrell Williams
#4-Isaiah Battle

& yes den I really :love: it!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would agree but in my dinky small brain when I consider depth @ left OT I think...
#1-Greg Robinson
#2-Rodger Saffold
#3-Darrell Williams
#4-Isaiah Battle

& yes den I really :love: it!
Saffold played well and I hope that continues and you might be right they could go with Saffold before Williams, but I really like Williams and looking forward to him getting more playing time over the next three preseason games.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saffold played well and I hope that continues and you might be right they could go with Saffold before Williams, but I really like Williams and looking forward to him getting more playing time over the next three preseason games.

The depth in this OL cadre now sure makes Les Snead look brilliant. Look at what we had before Snead arrived & look at it now(y).......... :admin:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed. I think they're quite high on Williams and for good reason. And I want to see more of Battle too.

This is GRob's third season. I suspect he'll be solid in pass pro and above average in run blocking. But looking at him long-term, he is going to cash in and if I were the GM there is no way I'd give him big money. I just don't trust the guy, I don't think football is his focus. It would not surprise me if the Rams don't pick up the option on year 5 and have someone else slated to step in.

Also would not surprise me to see him moved inside to guard. What can I say, I'm just about out of Kool-Aid when it comes to GRob. "Bartender! Another shot plz!!"

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Pro Football Focus ranked the Rams' offensive line 28th last season, which spoke loudly of Robinson's shortcomings.

No it fucking didn't. If anything, it had to do with injuries to Roger Saffold, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein (for a while) and the backups/line-shuffling they had to do.

Getting sick of Greg Robinson being singled out.

@BonifayRam I know you just linked to the article, I'm not directing this response to you.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He looked light for 340
me too...Kinda liked the new guys as well...guards & tackles...Swindle & whoever played pretty well in the 4th quarter...think that was Donnall...he's not a guard, he's a tackle.
I can't wait to see Battle this Saturday

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I'm starting to take a few swigs of that OL koolaid, myself.

GRob impressed everyone.
Saffold's shoulders held up well.
Havenstein back by opening day, hopefully.
Add in Bubba's comment about "pancake" Battle.
Williams much improved.
Donnal reportedly much stronger and played well Saturday.
Swindle looked better than okay when I was watching him.

Geez, fellas...

We may be looking at an embarrassment of riches at OT, now. A very nice problem to have, for a change.

Hot Damn!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That weight is nothing this time of year. I can make an argument that he, and all players, need a little excess weight. It's fricken hot here. I'm sure if he really wanted to, he could shed that weight in a week's time.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

GRob impressed everyone.
Williams much improved.

Geez, fellas...

We may be looking at an embarrassment of riches at OT, now. A very nice problem to have, for a change.

Hot Damn!
Our mistakes were mental one's, of the variety that these guys need to build cohesion, but with the physical stuff, and the way our WR's block, even Tavon, very impressive group.

The way we block as a team, really reinforces how much we believe in Gurley, and why every run could turn into a TD.

JoeYiZy

UDFA
Agreed. I think they're quite high on Williams and for good reason. And I want to see more of Battle too.

This is GRob's third season. I suspect he'll be solid in pass pro and above average in run blocking. But looking at him long-term, he is going to cash in and if I were the GM there is no way I'd give him big money. I just don't trust the guy, I don't think football is his focus. It would not surprise me if the Rams don't pick up the option on year 5 and have someone else slated to step in.

Also would not surprise me to see him moved inside to guard. What can I say, I'm just about out of Kool-Aid when it comes to GRob. "Bartender! Another shot plz!!"

Spot on assessment. He just doesn't seem mentally strong enough to be a top LT in the NFL. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Good game from Greg, let's hope this is the beginning of a great year for him and the rest of the oline. GRob has tremendous talent and he just may fully show it off this year. As for the extra weight, 336lbs was what he weighed in at his combine------he still ran 4.9 and threw up 35 bench reps, so taking off a few lbs will only make him quicker. The 13 snaps he got was a good start, now he has to continue to build on that.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Anyone looks good against the Cowboys nonexistent pass rush. He needs to work that weight off if he has a hope of blocking those smaller, quicker defensive ends.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

GRob impressed everyone.
Williams much improved.

Geez, fellas...

Hot Damn!
Man, I'm fricken getting giddy with the potential of a winning Rams team dancing around in my head. Santa, it's early, but I'm asking now, bring us a good season!