Rams only appear short at linebacker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams only appear short at linebacker

By JACK WANG / STAFF WRITER

[www.ocregister.com]

THOUSAND OAKS – On Feb. 19, the Rams released James Laurinaitis, cutting ties with their longtime starter at middle linebacker.

On Sept. 3, the Rams parted ways with Akeem Ayers – who started 11 games in 2015 – and second-year linebacker Cameron Lynch, who got more defensive work this preseason after spending his rookie season on special teams.

And on Thursday, the Rams waived undrafted rookie Nicholas Grigsby, leaving just five linebackers on the active roster.

Heading into next Monday’s visit to the San Francisco 49ers (7:20 p.m., ESPN), the Rams will have just two linebackers with any significant NFL experience on defense: Alec Ogletree, the new middle linebacker, and Mark Barron, a converted safety who led the team with 116 tackles last season.

Might this be a problem? Not according to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

“Take a look at how many times we’re going to play three linebackers this entire season,” he said Saturday. “We’re going to play (nickelback Lamarcus Joyner). We’re going to play another safety, another corner, another player in those areas that a linebacker plays.”

This is not a new move for Williams, who has coached six NFL franchises across nearly two decades. As an example, the 58-year-old singled out former NFL safety Pierson Prioleau, whom he often used in nickel and dime packages in Buffalo, Washington, Jacksonville, and New Orleans.

That’s the type of flexibility that Williams again expects to find in this year’s defense – doubters be damned.

“Think about all the head-shaking, the head-scratching and the criticizing when I moved Mark Barron in there last year,” Williams said. “He’s pretty good, isn’t he? Everybody going to claim that one now? That was a pretty good move?”

Chip Kelly seems to agree. Asked this week about hybrid linebackers, the 49ers head coach said that the versatility of players like Barron have made defenses much harder to out-scheme. A few years ago, Kelly might have been able to push the tempo and force his opponent into mismatches before they had a chance to substitute. Facing someone like Barron makes that a trickier task.

“He’s a tough, hard-nosed, physical football player and I don’t think you’re giving him credit for what he is,” Kelly told reporters this week. “But, everybody wants to say, ‘Well, you have a converted safety at linebacker. So, then we’re going to run the ball right at him.’ Well, turn the tape on. He’s a tough, hard-nosed, physical player.”

This year, the Rams will need similar growth from Joyner, who vented frustrations about his role on the final episode of HBO’s “Hard Knocks.” Although the team had left the door open for Ayers’ return, that they cut him in the first place signals how comfortable they are in giving Joyner – who started six games in his first two seasons – a much larger role.

“We’re going to play the best guys we have that they bring in the door,” Williams said. “I don’t draft them. I don’t sign them. But when they get here, I’m going to coach them. ... If you’re any good at all, you will adapt to the skill set of the players.”

Injury update
The Rams have ruled out receivers Pharoh Cooper (shoulder) and Nelson Spruce (knee) for Monday’s game against the 49ers, as well as cornerback E.J. Gaines (thigh), who missed all of last season with a Lisfranc injury and was beset by various ailments through training camp.

Cooper had been slated to be the team’s No. 3 receiver until his injury, while Spruce made the roster as an undrafted signee despite playing in just one preseason game. Gaines started 15 games as a rookie in 2015.

Right tackle Rob Havenstein (foot) and linebacker Bryce Hager (concussion) are both listed as questionable. Both were full participants in practice on Friday and Saturday.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
as well as cornerback E.J. Gaines (thigh), who missed all of last season with a Lisfranc injury and was beset by various ailments through training camp.

Great Coty Sensabaugh starting at RCB just what I did not want...Oh well, if I was Chip Kelly I would throw that way early and often! Maybe will smarten up and put Troy Hill out there and never look back.