Rams offseason spending recommendations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I can't see a world in which the Rams are relying on Hampton to start and play significant minutes next year when we are trying to win a ring. They had him last year and the man had 4 whole tackles. Yeah, i think he was hurt for part of the year, but seriously doubt the Rams are expecting him to step in as our starting edge this year. Hell, I could be very wrong but I seriously doubt it. Latu is the absolute perfect edge for our system, but I don't see him getting to us.

I always thought Hoecht was a good DE, dude gives 110% out there every play, he just isn't athletic enough to be an edge.
Curious if they feel Mathis has potential. Kind of was done in by the early injury last year.

I still say Floyd on a one yr deal to mentor these young guys that are on the roster and maybe another draft pick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, that Khalil Mack contract situation is brutal for the Chargers.
15+ mill restructure dead cap money and a 5 mill roster bonus due beginning of league year. I had previously thought he could be traded but unless the Chargers will eat the bonus, I cant see a team willing to commit paying 23 mill for a 34 y/o edge rusher. Even at a 17.5 mill base it would be a tall order.
Gonna be real interesting to see the waiver wire in the next couple weeks

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Man, that Khalil Mack contract situation is brutal for the Chargers.
15+ mill restructure dead cap money and a 5 mill roster bonus due beginning of league year. I had previously thought he could be traded but unless the Chargers will eat the bonus, I cant see a team willing to commit paying 23 mill for a 34 y/o edge rusher. Even at a 17.5 mill base it would be a tall order.
Gonna be real interesting to see the waiver wire in the next couple weeks
Would be perfect if released. Doesn't count against the comp pick formula, so if they lose Dotson, then they get a 3rd a 4th rd comp pick for him next yr.

And a vet like Mack mentors the young edge rushers they have and any that they draft this yr.

Of course they still have to get a deal done with him.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
They could use a veteran presence at edge, they're all young/inexperienced. I think Van Ginkel could be an affordable option. He's also familiar with Fangio's scheme. Could be a good mentor/rotational guy.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I can't see a world in which the Rams are relying on Hampton to start and play significant minutes next year when we are trying to win a ring. They had him last year and the man had 4 whole tackles. Yeah, i think he was hurt for part of the year, but seriously doubt the Rams are expecting him to step in as our starting edge this year. Hell, I could be very wrong but I seriously doubt it. Latu is the absolute perfect edge for our system, but I don't see him getting to us.

I always thought Hoecht was a good DE, dude gives 110% out there every play, he just isn't athletic enough to be an edge.
I also wonder if Hampton can move inside and take Roseboom's job? 6'3 235, quick, a blitz threat, could be good in coverage, or at least should have the tools to develop there.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I also wonder if Hampton can move inside and take Roseboom's job? 6'3 235, quick, a blitz threat, could be good in coverage, or at least should have the tools to develop there.
Just curious what you've seen from Hampton that makes you think he can play off the ball?

oldnotdead

Legend
Extending key guys comes first IMO. Then lets see how much is actually left over. Not as much as most people seem to think.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just curious what you've seen from Hampton that makes you think he can play off the ball?
Just looking at his athleticism in his college tapes. Long arms and speed, but sure he would have to learn coverage techniques, but he can't be much worse than Roseboom if he works at it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jonathan Greenard DE Houston Texans. Might be a little more than we want to spend but he'd be nice on that front 7.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just looking at his athleticism in his college tapes. Long arms and speed, but sure he would have to learn coverage techniques, but he can't be much worse than Roseboom if he works at it.
I only ask cause it's a pretty huge transition for a guy who's never to my knowledge played off the ball before. I have a hard time imagining him being better than Roseboom, who, himself, is below average.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Jonathan Greenard DE Houston Texans. Might be a little more than we want to spend but he'd be nice on that front 7.
Agree ... 100%. Unfortunately, Houston has a ton of cap space but I like Greenard a lot.

Also think Buffalo's A.J. Epenesa is an interesting possibility.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Great topic, Avenger Ram.

QB: Agree. Admittedly, I was originally in that “grab a QB early” camp, but no more because the Rams are close and there’s talent to be had early that could put the Rams back in the SB. I don’t know that wentz is ready to accept being strictly a backup and accepting backup $$, but a guy like minshew is. Minshew has performed well enough in that role to have had a decent career. I would think McVay could get from him what we saw in wentz for a game.

RB: Agree. How about a guy like Ray Davis (kentucky) in the 5th?

WR: Hmm. Should the Rams re-sign both Shelton and Dotson, I can easily see the Rams going this route. If so, a lotta draft crushes come off the board for us wanting an IOL early. If either Shelton or Dotson walk away, then some maneuvering should happen so the they can still grab a top defender and OL early.

TE:Agree! What didn’t Allen show last season when given a chance? Sure, some growing pains, but he showed hands as good as anybody else I saw play the position last year—league-wide. I can’t be the only person here who saw enough “wow” plays to want to give him a legitimate chance to earn the starting job.

As for late round prospects to develop or use as backups, I like Jarrod Wiley (tcu). I’d also look at Culp (wash) as an UDFA.

OL: Everything hinges on whether or not Shelton and Dotson come back. If either (both?!) walk, IOL is in play early. There’s a few names bandied about here and they all seem like good prospects, but mine would be Zach Frazier (w. vir) who just might last until the 3rd—depending on which site you trust more.
Should both guys return, I like Christian Jones (texas) to come in as a swing Tackle in training. The Rams have 3 legit Tackles but they all miss games. By 2025, there will probably be a shakeup at the Tackle hierarchy. Jones has experience at both spots.

IDL: Here’s where I’m gonna stray a bit because I’m looking at DL vs Edge in the draft. They can both get to the QB. I like a guy like a DL like Darius Robinson (mizz) just as much as Chris Braswell (bama) on the Edge should either fall to the Rams in the 2nd.
A deep DL rotation is a good thing to have, especially when they have a few guys who can get after the QB.

Pass Rush/Edge: Again, this is a tricky thing. Should a guy like Verse miraculously fall anywhere near the Rams in the 1rst round…
As for potential FAs/Trades, there is something to be said about having patience and waiting to see how FA unfolds. What if the bills have to let Floyd walk? He might be available after the first wave of FA to sign for a more reasonable figure than what some of these first tier guys will cost. An in-season move like the vmiller trade could materialize down the road too. I don’t think it’s imperative the Rams jump at a guy who will require $20+ mil/per and maybe even some prime draft capital on top of that.

ILB:Agree. Too many good players in front of the top ILBs in the draft, and no way you spend top $$ to fill the spot unless a guy like queen (ravens) becomes a possibility. If Wilson (nc st)could fall past the 3rd, I’d be all for it. He’s good in coverage and a tackling machine.

CB: Agree. I’d say it should be the most likely target for the Rams at #19. There will be a top rated player available and he could instantly impact the defense.

Safety: Agree. The Rams have done well bringing in Safeties using all channels.

STs:Yes and no. A kicker is a high priority, but that just means drafting one—not an early pick. I’d like to not only draft Jonah Dalmas (boise st), but I’d add at least add another UDFA like Harrison Mevis (mizz).

*just a thought:
Are you willing to kill two birds with one stone and prioritize WR and draft one of the top prospects who also was a top PR in college like Coleman (fsu) or Worthy (texas) and put him out there on punts?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
That’s kinda funny to ME because when I watched preseason last year, I actually thought he was a DB!
—his number was 30something
—he was always downfield when trying to get in on the play.

Once I looked it up to see who wore that number and saw that it was NOT a new DB, I was disappointed.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'd be shocked if the Texans don't at minimum tag him. Can't see them letting him walk for only a comp pick. He was quite good last season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be shocked if the Texans don't at minimum tag him. Can't see them letting him walk for only a comp pick. He was quite good last season.
He was but franchise tag him? That's a bit excessive.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

QB: Agree. Admittedly, I was originally in that “grab a QB early” camp, but no more because the Rams are close and there’s talent to be had early that could put the Rams back in the SB. I don’t know that wentz is ready to accept being strictly a backup and accepting backup $$, but a guy like minshew is. Minshew has performed well enough in that role to have had a decent career. I would think McVay could get from him what we saw in wentz for a game.

WR: Hmm. Should the Rams re-sign both Shelton and Dotson, I can easily see the Rams going this route. If so, a lotta draft crushes come off the board for us wanting an IOL early. If either Shelton or Dotson walk away, then some maneuvering should happen so the they can still grab a top defender and OL early.

TE:Agree! What didn’t Allen show last season when given a chance? Sure, some growing pains, but he showed hands as good as anybody else I saw play the position last year—league-wide. I can’t be the only person here who saw enough “wow” plays to want to give him a legitimate chance to earn the starting job.

As for late round prospects to develop or use as backups, I like Jarrod Wiley (tcu). I’d also look at Culp (wash) as an UDFA.

OL: Everything hinges on whether or not Shelton and Dotson come back. If either (both?!) walk, IOL is in play early. There’s a few names bandied about here and they all seem like good prospects, but mine would be Zach Frazier (w. vir) who just might last until the 3rd—depending on which site you trust more.
Should both guys return, I like Christian Jones (texas) to come in as a swing Tackle in training. The Rams have 3 legit Tackles but they all miss games. By 2025, there will probably be a shakeup at the Tackle hierarchy. Jones has experience at both spots.

IDL: Here’s where I’m gonna stray a bit because I’m looking at DL vs Edge in the draft. They can both get to the QB. I like a guy like a DL like Darius Robinson (mizz) just as much as Chris Braswell (bama) on the Edge should either fall to the Rams in the 2nd.
A deep DL rotation is a good thing to have, especially when they have a few guys who can get after the QB.

Pass Rush/Edge: Again, this is a tricky thing. Should a guy like Verse miraculously fall anywhere near the Rams in the 1rst round…
As for potential FAs/Trades, there is something to be said about having patience and waiting to see how FA unfolds. What if the bills have to let Floyd walk? He might be available after the first wave of FA to sign for a more reasonable figure than what some of these first tier guys will cost. An in-season move like the vmiller trade could materialize down the road too. I don’t think it’s imperative the Rams jump at a guy who will require $20+ mil/per and maybe even some prime draft capital on top of that.

ILB:Agree. Too many good players in front of the top ILBs in the draft, and no way you spend top $$ to fill the spot unless a guy like queen (ravens) becomes a possibility. If Wilson (nc st)could fall past the 3rd, I’d be all for it. He’s good in coverage and a tackling machine.

CB: Agree. I’d say it should be the most likely target for the Rams at #19. There will be a top rated player available and he could instantly impact the defense.

STs:Yes and no. A kicker is a high priority, but that just means drafting one—not an early pick. I’d like to not only draft Jonah Dalmas (boise st), but I’d add at least add another UDFA like Harrison Mevis (mizz).

*just a thought:
Are you willing to kill two birds with one stone and prioritize WR and draft one of the top prospects who also was a top PR in college like Coleman (fsu) or Worthy (texas) and put him out there on punts?
I’d consider it…particularly with Coleman who is stout enough to take a few hits.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

*just a thought:
Love Ray Davis. Looks like a great compliment to Williams. A little more burst, but similar in vision etc...

oldnotdead

Legend
Right now I think they will look for depth among the FA's and draft for their starters. Their real need is in the secondary. CJ Henderson is a FA. He's young and hasn't played up to expectations, but he has the traits you look for. Good length at 6' and great speed (4.3) but seem to struggle with NFL route concepts. At FL State he was primarily in man coverage. In the NFL defenses are constantly switching things up and I think that is where his problems lie. So the question is it a matter of coaching or simply an inability to adjust to the NFL. In college things came easy to him so I have to wonder if part of it is sloppy collegiate work ethic or simply mental over load.

IMO he would be worth looking into as a depth player. Sign him and bring him in for a look see in OTAs and TC. Those are perhaps the kinds of FAs they might sign. Low cost low risk who might provide STs or backup value. I just don't see them having the money to invest in the hired gun market to any appreciable degree. Witherspoon probably will see what kind of interest he generates before he makes a decision. He's the essence of a bridge player.