Rams offseason grade, so far...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Grade the offseason, to this point;

• A

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • B

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • C

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • D

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • F

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They get an A just for not going crazy and generating headlines.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Happy with the defensive line although a defensive tackle is a must and most likely will come via the draft, but Purple Hayes and Eugene Sims were a must to bring back because the key to the defensive line is depth, well, depth and defensive line coaches Mike Waufle & Clyde Simmons.

Cory Harkey was another must to bring back, great blocker that can make plays when given an opportunity add that he's an UCLA alum and I felt strongly the L.A. Rams would retain him. Love Tim Barnes and although I truly believe the Rams will draft Nick Martin in round two to replace Barnes I'm glad they brought back the former Missouri Tiger as he proved his worth last year.

Coty Sensabaugh...I'm going to trust Gregg Williams on this as IMO, I feel the Rams would have been better off with Patrick Robinson...Every Titan fan was glad to see Sensabaugh go, however, Williams coached him in 2013 and Sensabaugh was very effective, so I guess we shall see how that plays out.

Overall a solid B, but could move to an A if Sensabaugh proves to be a major bargain.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
It has been ok. Some good resigning. It could have been a disaster and it has not been. A lot of guys have left however. Long, JL, Cook, JJ, McLeod. McLeod leaving sucks. JJ as well, but, I would not have paid him that money either. McLeod could have been justified with what he got.
The biggest problem is there was a not a reasonable way for the Rams to address their main issues....QB and WR. The money Jones got?....No thanks. There are not QB options out there that are viable improvements. I also would not give up much to trade up for any QB except Goff....and I wouldn't give up a lot to move up to get him.
Unfortunately the Rams biggest weaknesses are timed up with a market that is not offering solutions in the short term.

fearsomefour

Legend
They get an A just for not going crazy and generating headlines.
This is a good point.
With the move, it would have been easy to overpay for guys just to be doing something. The Rams have been disciplined with money for the most part under this administration.

fearsomefour

Legend
Happy with the defensive line although a defensive tackle is a must and most likely will come via the draft, but Purple Hayes and Eugene Sims were a must to bring back because the key to the defensive is depth, well, depth and defensive line coaches Mike Waufle & Clyde Simmons.

Cory Harkey was another must to bring back, great blocker that can make plays when given an opportunity add that he's an UCLA alum and I felt strongly the L.A. Rams would retain him. Love Tim Barnes and although I truly believe the Rams will draft Nick Martin in round two to replace Barnes I'm glad they brought back the former Missouri Tiger as he proved his worth last year.

Coty Sensabaugh...I'm going to trust Gregg Williams on this as IMO, I feel the Rams would have been better off with Patrick Robinson...Every Titan fan was glad to see Sensabaugh go, however, Williams coached him in 2013 and Sensabaugh was very effective, so I guess we shall see how that plays out.

Overall a solid B, but could move to an A if Sensabaugh proves to be a major bargain.
A lot of needs heading into this draft.
Given your example there (which I don't disagree with) I am drafting WR, C, DT the first three rounds. I wonder if Martin will be around in round 2....he is a C, so there is a chance. Do the Rams see enough of a difference between Martin and Barnes to do that? Who knows?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A lot of needs heading into this draft.
Given your example there (which I don't disagree with) I am drafting WR, C, DT the first three rounds. I wonder if Martin will be around in round 2....he is a C, so there is a chance. Do the Rams see enough of a difference between Martin and Barnes to do that? Who knows?

I go QB, WR, C, TE, DT...Because of the depth at defensive tackle I believe the Rams can wait and a QB is a must, if not in the first, then the 2nd round, which will kill me because that could be Connor Cook. Who knows? I still believe the Rams could trade up so one of the 2nd rounders will be gone, but I'm betting on the Rams drafting Martin because they were so in love with his brother and in a crazy way, that is the way things seem to work in the NFL.

Ram65

Legend
I gave the Rams a B but, it could be higher. It's all about value for the money saved and spent. The cuts of Long JL and Cook were smart moves. The Rams get faster and quicker with Tree (at Mike) Barron and Sensabaugh. They maintain the defensive line rotation with resigns of Hayes and Sims with the signing of Coples. The lost expensive but, replaceable DBs in Jenks and McLeod. They couldn't solve all the issues but they kept the core of the defense and got faster. Now, they can go for offensive improvement in the draft and other avenues.

fearsomefour

Legend
I go QB, WR, C, TE, DT...Because of the depth at defensive tackle I believe the Rams can wait and a QB is a must, if not in the first, then the 2nd round, which will kill me because that could be Connor Cook. Who knows? I still believe the Rams could trade up so one of the 2nd rounders will be gone, but I'm betting on the Rams drafting Martin because they were so in love with his brother and in a crazy way, that is the way things seem to work in the NFL.
I don't like many of the QBs in this draft. If not Goff I am taking one late in the draft and going with what we already have.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't like many of the QBs in this draft. If not Goff I am taking one late in the draft and going with what we already have.

You sir have more guts than I, but I guess that's why the call you fearsome.

A55VA6

Legend
C.

Losing JL, Long, Cook, Bates, McLeod, Jenkins, etc.. that's tough.
But we did keep a few pieces that we really needed to keep like Tru, Barron, Hayes, Harkey, etc.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Ill go B.
-Would have loved to see them bring in Sean Smith. His new contract he got wasn't very expensive and instead we bring in a meh cb.
-Would of been nice if we brought in Kearse as well. Would have been good WR depth. Maybe they think Nick Toon is ready to get some snaps?
-We better keep Cunningham!
-Ladarius Green would have been a nice and cheap TE for us.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Rest easy CG they got it right.
I think they did, but it's still a one year rental. We made some cuts with the purpose of resigning a bunch of our guys, but managed to lock up 1 member of the secondary long term. If a deal doesn't get penned for Tru before the season starts, it'll likely be more difficult to get him to stay.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I went C but feel more like a B-/C+. That could easily go up if we don't lose anybody else.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I gave it a B, but it's on the higher side of the B scale.

I approve of the cuts, and I believe it was sensible to prioritize Barron and Hayes, and am happy, too, to get Sims back. Like the potential of the Coples signing, and will wait and see on Sensabaugh (not checking spelling on that...). I don't love the price tag on Barron, but I'm assuming they view him as critical to their defensive schemes going forward, and were probably worried they would be unable to find a player as smart, strong, quick, and just overall diversely talented to fill that role. I preferred Jenkins to Tru going into free agency, but as things developed, it became clear there wouldn't be much security, even in franchising Jenkins, as he was ultimately looking for the kind of money the Giants gave him, which is just a bit much, despite the fact he's underrated by the media and fans, and often a genuine lockdown type of guy. His size limits him, in my eyes. Tru is a good corner. I don't view him as a number 1 guy, but I'm hopeful we can get him on a manageable contract going forward. In any case, I have faith we can find that number one guy, either in Gaines, or else some other way.

Losing old Rodney was a bit annoying, in that it leaves us more unsure about the position than before, however, I didn't really love him, either. I think he benefitted from his role in the defense, and there is the potential to find someone else to play that position who is better at playing the ball, and better at keeping guys under coverage. We'll see.

All in all, I'm happy the Rams didn't "make a splash" just to make a splash. Media folks are voicing their frustration and alarm at this, as if it's a big failure by the organization... but what splashes were there to make? And how often do those signings work out? I'd much rather see us make a splash in the draft.

Eh, yeah. I'm pleased overall, and will be happier if we get Cunningham back. Would've loved to pull a decent TE. Not sure any of the FA wrs help us.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I guess I agree about 98% with you!
I voted B.

I approve:
  1. Cutting Long due to contract Just because I Loved him
  2. Cutting JL, Cook due to performance
  3. Retaining Hayes, Harkey, Sims, Barnes, Quick Not sure about Quick
  4. Coples could be a good fit
I am undecided:
  1. Decision to tag Johnson over Jenkins Was Never going to stay $$$$
  2. Wanted Barron back, but that's big $ He's worth it
  3. That was a fairly steep contract for Sensabaugh which is clearly based on his potential
I am disappointed:
  1. Jenkins was all about the money
  2. Losing McCleod
  3. I hate to see Long go. Would have like him back at less $
  4. We're not losing Cunningham, are we?
Other than these, MOSTLY, minor points I agree with you CGI!!(y)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Forgot about the Coples signing. I raise my grade to B+.

He could be a gem. Could also be a bust but for the price it's fine, and we already have Westbrook, Hayes and Sims so no worries.

jap

Legend
I think they did, but it's still a one year rental. We made some cuts with the purpose of resigning a bunch of our guys, but managed to lock up 1 member of the secondary long term. If a deal doesn't get penned for Tru before the season starts, it'll likely be more difficult to get him to stay.

Not necessarily. They have until June for Kevin to work out a reasonable contract, and I believe they will make that a priority since they want to start work on the upcoming contracts for Brockers, 'Tree, Aaron, and a few others. Later on, they will have TGII's contract to handle early.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Alright... Someone voted "D".

You can't do that without explaining...

tribunal-2.gif
Public polls?
th