Rams offseason analysis: Wide receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/13/los-angeles-rams-offseason-analysis-wide-receivers/

Los Angeles Rams offseason analysis: Wide receivers
By RICH HAMMOND

saints-rams-football_24945969_663592.jpg

AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill

The Rams did a near-total renovation of their group of receivers last year, and it worked quite well. It didn’t bring long-term stability, though, so some decisions remain in the near future.

Quarterback Jared Goff thrived in large part because he had a trio of quality receivers, none of whom was on the Rams’ roster in 2016, when their top threats were the inconsistent Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Tavon Austin.

The Rams face a compelling decision over the next couple weeks with Sammy Watkins, who underwhelmed in 2017 after a high-profile trade.

Watkins is set to become an unrestricted free agent next month, so should the Rams give it another try with him? As part of an ongoing series, here’s an in-depth glance at the Rams’ situation at receiver:

2017 STARTERS: Cooper Kupp (62 receptions, 869 yards, five touchdowns), Robert Woods (56 receptions, 781 yards, five touchdowns), Sammy Watkins (39 receptions, 593 yards, eight touchdowns).

RESERVES: Josh Reynolds (11 receptions, 104 yards, one touchdown), Pharoh Cooper (11 receptions, 84 yards, 0 touchdowns), Mike Thomas (5 receptions, 93 yards, 0 touchdowns).

PENDING FREE AGENTS: Watkins.

GRADING 2017
Even deep into training camp, this position seemed a little unsteady. The Rams were set to rely on Woods as their No. 1 receiver and Tavon Austin as their primary deep threat, and both players seemed ill-suited for those roles. Then came Watkins, in a late-camp trade with Buffalo.

Watkins had a complicated season. By no means was it a statistical success, given that he finished fourth on the team in catches and receiving yards, but there was a value to what Watkins brought. He field-stretching speed drew the attention of defenders and opened up things underneath for Woods and Kupp. Woods worked the sidelines and Kupp worked the middle of the field, and both thrived.

Kupp, a boom-or-bust third-round draft pick, had issues with drops at times but also made some dynamic catches and clearly earned Goff’s trust.

A significant nod also should go to running back Todd Gurley, who often was the Rams’ top target because of his ability to catch and make defenders miss in the open field. And an extra nod to Woods, whose run-blocking ability opened up things for Gurley on the ground. GRADE: B+

ANALYZING 2018
Given how well things went in 2017, the Rams would be wise to keep things static at receiver and bring back this entire group. That probably means applying the franchise-player tag to Watkins, who would be free to sign elsewhere if the Rams don’t take action.

It’s probably not wise to sign Watkins to a long-term contract. The Rams still need to see how he can fit with Goff and within the offense, and it’s fair to say Watkins got an “incomplete” grade in 2017. If Goff and Watkins can improve their chemistry, the Rams’ pass game might be even better in 2018.

The Rams likely will make a move and cut Austin, who technically remains a receiver but played almost no part in the pass game this season. Austin’s small role in the offense in 2017 can easily be filled by Pharoh Cooper, who took a star turn this season as a returner.

Woods, likely, will remain as steady and productive as ever, but the Rams will look for more from Kupp. His circus catches are remarkable, but consistency remains a bit of an issue. LEVEL OF NEED: MEDIUM

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Would it be better to Franchise Tag Watkins or Transition Tag? I think signing him to a deal would make the most sense. A franchise tag would give Sammy Watkins about $15.1 million a year. I would say 4 year 48 million is pretty fair. That would save the Rams a little money to use else where.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bring back SW, need is none
train

That’s what I’d do.

The memory of Givens, Pettis, Bailey, and Quick competing to be our top WR’s is still vivid in my mind.

We FINALLY have something. Let’s keep it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would it be better to Franchise Tag Watkins or Transition Tag? I think signing him to a deal would make the most sense. A franchise tag would give Sammy Watkins about $15.1 million a year. I would say 4 year 48 million is pretty fair. That would save the Rams a little money to use else where.
I’ve seen some estimates of 5 years ranging from $45-55 million. I definitely wouldn’t tag him and I agree your money seems about the top end I’d go. I’m perfectly fine signing a vet to a low dollar short term deal and letting them push Josh Reynolds in that role.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/rams-already-owe-tavon-austin-5-million-for-2018/

Rams already owe Tavon Austin $5 million for 2018
Posted by Mike Florio on February 19, 2018

As the annual lists of veterans with bloated contracts that could be terminated are compiled, one player presents an intriguing dilemma to his current team.

Rams receiver Tavon Austin, widely regarded as being on the outs, has a contract that already guarantees him $5 million this year, in the form of a roster bonus that will be earned on March 16. If he’s still on the roster that day, his $3 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed, too.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, both components of Austin’s 2018 pay include offsets, meaning that if, for example, he’d get cut before the salary vests, his $5 million roster bonus would be reduced by what he earns elsewhere.

So what would he earn elsewhere? And what impact could he have on another team? Those are questions the Rams need to ask before making a final decision on his status for 2018. Ultimately, they could end up paying him $4 million to play for a competitor ($5 million minus $1 million he’d get from another team), when they could pay him $8 million and continue to try to find ways to use him.

Last year, a wrist problem caused Austin to miss plenty of time in the offseason, and he never quite found his footing. The possibility that Sean McVay and company could devise ways to use Austin effectively in 2018 (especially with so many other potent weapons on offense) should make the Rams at least consider the wisdom of spending $8 million to keep him versus paying $4 million or so to see him end up playing for a team like the Seahawks, where former Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is now designing the plays.

In the end, it’s still likely that Austin will be gone. But it’s not quite the no-brainer it would seem to be.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If your under the opinion that the Rams needs to utilize one of those valuable top 4 picks on a RB instead on other needful Ram units then retaining TA would be a wise move. It really will only cost you 3 million & a roster spot. If you believe the Rams have enough talent with the Gurley, Brown, Davis, Tillery & Rogers then cutting Ta is a good thing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If your under the opinion that the Rams needs to utilize one of those valuable top 4 picks on a RB instead on other needful Ram units then retaining TA would be a wise move. It really will only cost you 3 million & a roster spot. If you believe the Rams have enough talent with the Gurley, Brown, Davis, Tillery & Rogers then cutting Ta is a good thing.
Or using one of our three 6th rounders on a backup. His two primary backups are UDFA, no need to spend a high pick to get a productive backup.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Austin has been such a non factor I can't see him returning. Even if releasing him saved nothing I think they have to consider that he's using up a roster spot for almost zero production. The fact that they could save 3 million releasing him as opposed to keeping him makes it a no brainer to me. Cut your losses now.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, both components of Austin’s 2018 pay include offsets

Had not heard this before, but this would be great news. If true, the Rams save the 3M in cap space as well as whatever his new team pays him for 2018. I would think that he can get 2-3M as a free agent.
Would leave Rams with 5-6 M cap savings.

Austin's only value was as a RB last year, and that would be as a part timer at best.
Rams will move on.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We FINALLY have something. Let’s keep it.

I agree 100%.

Let the youngsters grow together and they will only get better and better. They are already really good, imagine 1-5 more years together. They will be devastating.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yes signing him would be preferred for myself at least. He comes with risk of injury, but the guy was open all over the joint last year. For reference Jeffery got 4 years $52M with $27M guaranteed. So it's basically a two year deal and I'm fine with that sort of approach on Watkins.

Yeah it does. Tavon should have been moved last year before the season, with the Rams eating some of that salary and at least recouping some mediocre draft capital. Now it's like a bad case of herpes.

Ram65

Legend
Rams receiver Tavon Austin, widely regarded as being on the outs, has a contract that already guarantees him $5 million this year, in the form of a roster bonus that will be earned on March 16. If he’s still on the roster that day, his $3 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed, too.

That's hard to believe that the salary is guaranteed as well on that date. I guess the Rams won't wait to release him like some of us were thinking. Give him his walking papers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin’s contract info changes monthly it seems on spotrac.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tagging just seems to make the most sense to me.

While he was very productive with relation to TDs, his receptions and yardage was not comparable to what I was expecting.

Tag him and see what he does in 2018. More of the same? Move on. His numbers move him into the #1 WR on the Rams? Then a nice deal.

To me, he's still an enigma.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For reference Jeffery got 4 years $52M with $27M guaranteed. So it's basically a two year deal and I'm fine with that sort of approach on Watkins.
Watkins:
39 receptions
593 yards
8 TDs

Jeffery:
57 receptions
789 yards
9 TDs

Tag Watkins!