Rams O-Line Not Protecting Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Daily Bits: Rams O-Line Not Protecting Foles

Posted by: Bernie Miklasz

http://www.101sports.com/2015/09/22/daily-bits-rams-o-line-not-protecting-foles/

Here’s your latest serving of the (almost) daily weekday Bernie Bits, found only on 101sports.com …

Two games isn’t much to go on, and entering the regular season we knew that an inexperienced Rams’ offensive line would need time to mature and develop cohesion. The hope is that the O-line will settle in sooner than expected, but if the first two weeks are an accurate indication there’s a lot of work to be done. The group isn’t off to a good start to the season.

According to the advanced performance analysis offered by my go-to site, Pro Football Focus, the Rams offensive line is ranked 31st among the 32 NFL teams in Pass Blocking Efficiency so far. Only San Francisco is worse.

Rams quarterback Nick Foles has dropped back to pass 65 times this season, and he’s been under pass-rush pressure on 47.7 percent of his setups. That’s the third-highest pressure rate among quarterbacks, with only Cleveland’s Johnny Manziel (56%) and Buffalo’s Tyrod Taylor (50%) facing more heat than Foles.

In his first game, the win over Seattle, Foles was outstanding when pressured, completing all 12 of his passes to targeted receivers.

Foles wasn’t as cool under duress in the 24-10 loss at Washington, completing three of nine targeted throws. In fairness to Foles, two of the attempts were dropped by his receivers. So we can adjust that and make it three completions in seven attempts.

As for the Rams’ starters up front …

Second-year left tackle Greg Robinson ranks 51st among 61 NFL offensive tackles with a Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating of 91.5 (on a scale of 100.)

Rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein ranks 46th among offensive tackles with a PBE rating of 93.1.

Rookie left guard Jamon Brown has done relatively well, with a 96.0 PBE that’s 41st among 61 guards.

That’s better than veteran right guard Rodger Saffold, who ranks 52nd at the position with a PBE of 92.4.

Center Tim Barnes, who has made six NFL starts, is near the bottom of the positional PBE ratings at 94.2. That’s 29th among 32 centers that have played at least 50 percent of the dropbacks.

Robinson has allowed the most QB pressures (seven) among Rams offensive linemen, followed by Havenstein (six), Saffold (five), Barnes (five) and Brown (three.)

If you’re looking for reasons for moderate optimism, it’s this: Robinson, Havenstein, Brown and Barnes improved (if slightly) their pass protection from Week One to Week Two.

Pardon the cliche, but this is obviously a work in progress.

Problem is, the NFL schedule waits for no one.

Sunday the Pittsburgh come to the Edward Jones with a defense that’s generated intense pass-rush heat through two games. In the opening-Thursday loss at New England, the Steelers sacked Tom Brady twice, and pressured him 11 times. In Sunday’s 43-18 wipeout of visiting San Francisco, the Steelers were all over 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick: six sacks, two hits and 18 hurries for 26 total pressures.

Yikes. The Steelers haven’t been sound in their secondary _ showing vulnerability in downfield throws _ and they’ve compensated by cranking up the pass rush.

We can count on Pittsburgh to try and attack the young Rams offensive line and make it a bruised and battered Sunday for Foles.

Reading Time, 5 Minutes:

Speaking of offensive-line play, remember offensive tackle Joe Barksdale? The Rams declined to re-sign Barksdale after last season, but in his first two games as a starter in San Diego Barksdale has a 95 Pass Blocking Efficiency, which is 34th among NFL O-tackles. A better performance than what the Rams have gotten out of Robinson and Havenstein so far. But yes _ and I’m being sincere _ it’s early. Let’s see how this plays out before declaring any firm judgments. … for the Rams’ run defense to improve, it starts with middle linebacker James Laurinaitis. According to Pro Football Focus, Laurinaitis was the Rams’ worst defender against the run Sunday, when Washington smashed its way to 182 yards on the ground.

It’s almost hard to believe, but in Jeff Fisher’s 50 games as Rams coach, the team’s running backs have posted only nine individual games of 100+ rushing yards _ with the departed Zac Stacy having the most, with four.

OK, so why isn’t WR Brian Quick suiting up and playing for the Rams? Good question. I defer to my friend and longtime (former) colleague Jim Thomas, the Post-Dispatch beatwriter that’s covered the Rams since 1994 _ yes, even before they moved to St. Louis. Here’s JT’s answer in his weekly chat on STLtoday: “I’ve answered this one about a dozen times already over the past couple of weeks.. So I’ll try again. In returning from shoulder surgery, Quick played in only 30 plays in the preseason He’s rusty. He’s not injured. Not anymore. Fisher normally doesn’t dress a bunch of receivers. (Because he doesn’t have a pass-happy offense.) So in deciding who’s the 5th receiver to dress, Fisher has opted for Bradley Marquez because of his special teams value. Fisher is very big on special teams. (Chris) Givens probably was the most impressive WR during the preseason, which I think has earned him the early-shot as the team’s 4th WR. So it’s a tough spot for Quick. The only way to knock off the rust is to play, and right now he can’t get on the field. After last week’s offensive struggles perhaps the situation gets re-evaluated this week.”

Our condolences to Todd Ewen’s family, and to his many friends in St. Louis and in our town’s hockey community. Such a tragedy.

Thank you for reading …

–Bernie

RamzFanz

Damnit
six sacks, two hits and 18 hurries for 26 total pressures.

Damn. If that happens Sunday, we are deep deep shit. A routing of mega proportions.

Speaking of offensive-line play, remember offensive tackle Joe Barksdale? The Rams declined to re-sign Barksdale after last season

Is Bernie really that out of touch with the Rams that he doesn't know the Rams had the biggest offer on the table? Yes, yes he is. No Bernie, you...:mad:, they didn't decline to re-sign him.

Fisher has opted for Bradley Marquez because of his special teams value. Fisher is very big on special teams. (Chris) Givens probably was the most impressive WR during the preseason, which I think has earned him the early-shot as the team’s 4th WR.

How'd that work out for you Fish? Givens over Quick? Really? o_O I'm at a complete loss for words, and that NEVER happens.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
GIF-nicolas-cage-o-rly-oh-really-skeptical-so-you-dont-say-GIF.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Second-year left tackle Greg Robinson ranks 51st among 61 NFL offensive tackles with a Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating of 91.5 (on a scale of 100.)

Rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein ranks 46th among offensive tackles with a PBE rating of 93.1.

Rookie left guard Jamon Brown has done relatively well, with a 96.0 PBE that’s 41st among 61 guards.

That’s better than veteran right guard Rodger Saffold, who ranks 52nd at the position with a PBE of 92.4.

Center Tim Barnes, who has made six NFL starts, is near the bottom of the positional PBE ratings at 94.2. That’s 29th among 32 centers that have played at least 50 percent of the dropbacks.

Robinson has allowed the most QB pressures (seven) among Rams offensive linemen, followed by Havenstein (six), Saffold (five), Barnes (five) and Brown (three.)
Now you guys should know I have a love/hate thing with PFF....so, is this based on pressures? How could we score 27 offensive points one week, improve the next and still be the worst collective offensive line? I will say this, Foles sees a bunch of pressure, gest hit, and is under duress every game. My only concern is the lack of a productive running game. This guy is only human, and I think he saw the rush & missed so many throws because of the heat he faced in games 1 & 2....Bulgerized I've heard it called.

for the Rams’ run defense to improve, it starts with middle linebacker James Laurinaitis. According to Pro Football Focus, Laurinaitis was the Rams’ worst defender against the run Sunday, when Washington smashed its way to 182 yards on the ground.
See, PFF...who needs stats, watch the game.....

OK, so why isn’t WR Brian Quick suiting up and playing for the Rams? Good question. I defer to my friend and longtime (former) colleague Jim Thomas, the Post-Dispatch beatwriter that’s covered the Rams since 1994 _ yes, even before they moved to St. Louis. Here’s JT’s answer in his weekly chat on STLtoday: “I’ve answered this one about a dozen times already over the past couple of weeks.. So I’ll try again. In returning from shoulder surgery, Quick played in only 30 plays in the preseason He’s rusty. He’s not injured. Not anymore. Fisher normally doesn’t dress a bunch of receivers. (Because he doesn’t have a pass-happy offense.) So in deciding who’s the 5th receiver to dress, Fisher has opted for Bradley Marquez because of his special teams value. Fisher is very big on special teams. (Chris) Givens probably was the most impressive WR during the preseason, which I think has earned him the early-shot as the team’s 4th WR. So it’s a tough spot for Quick. The only way to knock off the rust is to play, and right now he can’t get on the field. After last week’s offensive struggles perhaps the situation gets re-evaluated this week.”
This is troubling...Our best wr in 2014, and he can't dress? After this last game, the ONLY WR that should be EVEN with him is BRITT....those other guys act like Foles has 5-10 seconds to find them. Basically come on the field covered....I say, don't play him again...Don't play Gurley, this turns into a tank season...I get it...maybe they want a QB...I'll be pissed, but understand....And if Austin, Bailey & Givens perform like last game....My 1st round pick is a QB (Goff), 2nd round picks go WR & LB....

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Now you guys should know I have a love/hate thing with PFF....so, is this based on pressures? How could we score 27 offensive points one week, improve the next and still be the worst collective offensive line? I will say this, Foles sees a bunch of pressure, gest hit, and is under duress every game. My only concern is the lack of a productive running game. This guy is only human, and I think he saw the rush & missed so many throws because of the heat he faced in games 1 & 2....Bulgerized I've heard it called.

See, PFF...who needs stats, watch the game.....

This is troubling...Our best wr in 2014, and he can't dress? After this last game, the ONLY WR that should be EVEN with him is BRITT....those other guys act like Foles has 5-10 seconds to find them. Basically come on the field covered....I say, don't play him again...Don't play Gurley, this turns into a tank season...I get it...maybe they want a QB...I'll be pissed, but understand....And if Austin, Bailey & Givens perform like last game....My 1st round pick is a QB (Goff), 2nd round picks go WR & LB....

I don't need PFF to know the line sucked the last two games. Their rankings are pretty much in line with what I've seen so far. While it's a work in progress obviously, it didn't need to be this way.

I agree about Quick. Not playing him is silly. There's no way Chris Givens or even Bailey is as good as him when healthy so put him on the field and add a playmaker. What's the plan here, just keep him on the sidelines? Every year on any given team there's head scratching decisions made but this one is tops so far.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd like to see a little more pocket awareness out there. It's such an underrated part of the game - help your O Line out by seeing the rush and moving around a bit. I'm not talking scrambling for 20 yard chunks - although that would be nice here and there - but just buying an extra second or two while keeping your eyes downfield.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Protecting Foles on Sunday is key to this game IMO. If Foles has the time(and doesn't misfire all over the field) there will be opportunities for big plays against the Steelers secondary(their weakness). Kapernick was sacked 5 times. But he also hit on some big plays--long T.D. throws. With these receivers the Rams CAN throw against the Steelers IF they can protect Foles. And I think they'll have to because the Steelers are going to score a lot of points--their offense is just too good.

It'll be great to establish the run game if possible, and limit their possessions.

But the offensive line will have to protect Foles on those passing downs if they don't want the Steelers to pull away because the Rams will definitely have to answer some scores this weekend.

V3

Hall of Fame
For some reason people were praising the o line after week one. IMO Foles made them look MUCH better than they were. Last week Foles didn't do that so people saw their true colors. If Foles doesn't move around a lot to create extra time and take shots while delivering good passes, the offense stalls and the o line is exposed for what they are.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IMO Foles made them look MUCH better than they were. Last week Foles didn't do that so people saw their true colors. If Foles doesn't move around a lot to create extra time and take shots while delivering good passes, the offense stalls and the o line is exposed for what they are.
I don't need PFF to know the line sucked the last two games. Their rankings are pretty much in line with what I've seen so far. While it's a work in progress obviously, it didn't need to be this way.
Our line is young, and really hasn't played much together....With all that being said, they have not played that bad....in fact, they have pass protected better than expected, but have run blocked worse than imagined. Foles job as a QB is to move around...And be accurate....Some of our wrs need to get open sooner. We also need to stop featuring Benny Cunningham....

fearsomefour

Legend
The O line has to play better certainly both pass blocking but particularly run blocking. Being able to have an effective play action would help quite a bit.
Foles has to be much better. He helps create pressure at times when he runs out of the pocket, never steps up, doesn't find secondary receivers ect.
A running game that works fixes a lot of issues....doesnt even have to dominate but at least needs to solid enough to keep a pass rush honest.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Boudreau's OL's seem to always have more of a problem with 34 than the old 43's. It was somewhat expected.

By the time of our bye the Rams will have faced only one 43 defense that was the Seattle. I would not be surprised @ all if we only have one win going into wk 7 of the season. It just takes time to get these very young OL's working smoothly.

This Ram Org. did not invest in any first or second days of the 2011, 2012 & 2013 drafts in developing a youth in the OLo_O. So we now have a bunch of ultra young green raw OL'ers from the 2014 & 2015 drafts starting & playing major roles. Their decision is now due in painful payments in our wk 3 offensive line:cry:.

I would add that TE's are suppose to assist with the protection of Foles too. Placing our near 9 million $$$ cap hit (alleged TE:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :palm: (n)) Jared Cook to protect our QB is a no win decision for Foles. I would of like to seen Cory & Lance more involved with protection & let Cook be what he is a large lumbering wide receiver.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
We as all of Football have to do (1) thing . MAKE FIRST DOWNS. I hope we play major keep away in our game with the steelers. Cignetti must constantly mix up our plays and we might need some formation change and motion to see if we see defensive adjustment. Cig needs major preperation to have many different looks and stop being so predictable as we were with Schotty.

Ben wants to run a hurry up to pile the points up to force us into a one dimensional team. We must do the one thing we sucked at last week. Time of possesion. That means no more cheap penalties on us to stop a drive. Yes long drives are hard to accomplish and if we break a play for a quick score then so be it. We will need 3o points in this game at least anyway. Play action is Foles specialty and it needs some successfull running plays to make it work. We need our recievers using the full route tree. Not just fly or go routes that don't come back to help Nick when he gets pressure. We need crossing routes and curls and slants and so much more than what we have been running.

Thought in practice and PreSeason that Foles and Cook loved the seam routes but they are having major trouble connecting on both sides one or both is just a little off. They need to focus and get us at least one GO TO guy. So the "D" will put more effort to stop that and it opens up something else. Tavon Austin and his Jet sweep series is no longer a surprise element and teams have that extra player to corral that. It works with surprise and pure speed. Gignetti needs to bring as many different sets so we don't have 5- 3 and outs to start another game again. We can never win against a scoring Jugernaut if our "D" is on the field as long as last week. Yes we need to be in best condition but some teams like the steelers love the hurry up offense along with being on the field that often, our "D" without our normal substitution will cause more trouble than we can bounce back from.

We need to return punts and not let the ball roll the extra 15 yards we did on every punt last week. Field position will be key. Just go fall on the ball. Don't risk a TO either. Lets work in every part of the game and get steadily BETTER. No idea when we will see Gurley and then again Gurley at his very best will be another level all together. We can't let L. Bell get going Sunday. The steelers ran bigtime on the pats. They can run block so we saw that with skins without the proper adjustment. Everyone from coach on down needs to be hooked in 90% more than last week.

NO INJURIES!!!

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For some reason people were praising the o line after week one. IMO Foles made them look MUCH better than they were. Last week Foles didn't do that so people saw their true colors. If Foles doesn't move around a lot to create extra time and take shots while delivering good passes, the offense stalls and the o line is exposed for what they are.

This is the NFL. Being able to buy time and find space by moving around the pocket is part of the QB's job. Except for maybe the top few lines in the NFL, every QB has to deal with that. If the OL is keeping their man from having a direct shot at the QB and giving him space to move to, they're doing their job imo.

F. Mulder

Starter
What I continually search for are OLineman with the mentality of seeking and destroying even if it results on the occasional whiff or missed assignment. Obviously at this stage we really don't know the PERSONALITY of each starting OL except to say that Saffold is a nice pulling guard and more of a technician than mauler to me. I think Brown CAN be a mauler, Barnes will always be just a grinder trying to get by on tenacity and technique, Haverstein (no idea yet), but the person I want to see get pissed off and tear someone's head gear off is Robinson. I continue to see someone who is thinking way too much and is way to passive for someone with his ability. He reminds me of Pace in that he seems to let guys get to him on the pass rush and depend on his ability to take control but right now his ability isn't good enough for that to happen and as a result you see a relatively passive, average technician at this point. I had hoped, and continue to do so based on the little I saw of him in college, think he could be a more "in your face Tackle" but for now he seems to not have an identity established. Is he a technician or is he a physical dominator. To me he CAN be either/both but for now he seems to be neither. Just a young guy thinking way too much for the talent he has.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
What I want to know is what happened to all the playcall specifically designed to alleviate pressure from the O-line? What happened to all the roll outs, bringing in the TEs, the quick hitters and all the things we did in Seattle to help give the guys some cushion while they acclimated? All of that just sort of disappeared in Washington, as if we thought we were just going to come in and bully their D-line out of the way. Even after we realized it, the play calling didn't really adjust to what was happening on the field, we still just stood out there trying to get Foles to stand in a nonexistent pocket trying to throw deep routes that couldn't get open in the milliseconds he had to throw.

It was a bad game all around for our O-line, but it was a bad day for coaching too, they did absolutely nothing to help when they saw what was going down on the field. They just left the team out to dry.

V3

Hall of Fame
This is the NFL. Being able to buy time and find space by moving around the pocket is part of the QB's job. Except for maybe the top few lines in the NFL, every QB has to deal with that. If the OL is keeping their man from having a direct shot at the QB and giving him space to move to, they're doing their job imo.
I agree but IMO Foles in that first game was still doing it more than a QB should have to do. He also did it very well and took direct shots while still delivering good passes. The second game he didn't do it as well and the line was a sieve. That's why we got what we got. In both games the O-line still sucked.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree but IMO Foles in that first game was still doing it more than a QB should have to do. He also did it very well and took direct shots while still delivering good passes. The second game he didn't do it as well and the line was a sieve. That's why we got what we got. In both games the O-line still sucked.

It definitely sucked at opening running lanes. I thought it was serviceable on passing plays. Especially compared to what we've had in the past.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
FYI- FWIW it's only 2 games but Washington has the #1 D in the NFL.

Silver lining but they are playing very good on that side of the ball.