Rams notes: Team may go with running back by committee --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Team may go with running back by committee
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_cab56fd7-f62b-55ca-aa6a-05655a05b7da.html

Thanks to a strong showing from rookie Tre Mason in his NFL debut, the Rams’ backfield seems to be getting a little crowded.

And coach Jeff Fisher is fine with that.

“I have no problem with that. Nope,’’ the coach said when asked about a running back by committee situation. “We were rolling all three of them.’’

Mason, the team’s third-round draft choice in May, was inactive until Monday night, when he made the most of his NFL debut by accounting for 52 yards on just nine plays from scrimmage in the 31-17 loss to the visiting 49ers.

Mason ran five times for 40 yards, including a 24-yarder on a burst up the middle. It was the Rams’ first run of 20 or more yards this season and helped set up a 22-yard touchdown pass from Austin Davis to Lance Kendricks in the first quarter.

Earlier in the quarter, the 5-foot-8, 207-pound Mason caught a Davis swing pass in the right flat, lowered his head and took on two 49ers defenders for a 12-yard gain to the San Francisco 5. Five plays later, Benny Cunningham took a handoff to the left for a 1-yard touchdown.

“I liked the way (Mason) handled his first opportunity and made some explosive plays,’’ Fisher said, noting that Mason got his chance after running back and special teams standout Chase Reynolds was hurt in practice. Mason’s “doing a really good job on the practice field. ... There was some question whether Chase would be available, so we planned ahead ... and got Tre into the offense. We got him involved in a couple of things. He’s earned the opportunity. He did a nice job. As you can see, he was very explosive.’’

At Auburn last year, Mason was a Heisman Trophy contender after breaking the Tigers’ single-season rushing record set by Bo Jackson.

“It was good to be out there and get my feet wet,’’ Mason said. “I’m just going to keep working hard and try to do whatever the coaches ask of me.’’

Cunningham, who took more snaps (38) than starter Zac Stacy (25), picked up his second touchdown of the season, finishing with 21 yards on seven carries to go along with two catches for 12 yards. Stacy finished with 17 rushing yards on eight carries and two pass receptions for 17 yards.

A week earlier, Stacy left the loss in Philadelphia with a strained calf.

“There was no physical issue,’’ Fisher said. “He had a full week of practice.’’

BARNES IS HURTING

The Rams came out of a physical battle with the 49ers in relative good health. The exception: reserve center Tim Barnes (Missouri) hurt his shoulder and rib cage.

On the plus side, Barrett Jones, a fourth-round draft pick in 2013, has been making steady progress after undergoing back surgery early in training camp.

“We may be fortunate — it may time up — if (Barnes) does miss time ... Barrett Jones could potentially be back this week,’’ Fisher said.

LOOKING AHEAD

Next up for the Rams is a noon showdown Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome against the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks.

Seattle is 3-2 and coming off a 30-23 loss at home to the Dallas Cowboys. Since drafting and installing Russell Wilson at quarterback in 2012, the Seahawks have won 19 of 21 home games.

“We were not right, really, in any phase of our game,’’ Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said in a brief post-game interview session. “We didn’t run the ball the way we want to, we didn’t protect as well as we like, we didn’t throw the ball very well and our defense didn’t stop the run.’’

In addition, the Seahawks came out out of the Dallas game with some injury concerns. Middle linebacker Bobby Wagner suffered a turf toe injury in the second quarter and played through it. But Carroll said Monday that it’s an injury that could linger.

Cornerback Byron Maxwell left Sunday’s game with a calf injury. Center Max Unger (foot) is day to day while tight end Zach Miller (ankle) is not expected to play Sunday.

The Seahawks hold a 20-12 edge in the series. Seattle swept last year’s games, winning 14-9 here in a Monday Night thriller and 27-9 in the regular-season finale there. The Seahawks have won three in a row, six of seven and 16 of the teams’ last 18 meetings.

RAM-BLINGS

Quarterback Davis was joined by tackles Jake Long and Joe Barksdale, guard Greg Robinson and center Scott Wells in taking part in all 74 offensive plays for the Rams. On defense, safety T.J. McDonald and linebackers James Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree were on the field for all 66 snaps.

• Brian Quick, who entered Monday as the Rams’ leader in catches (21) and receiving yards (322), was targeted four times and had one 10-yard reception.

The 49ers “didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes that happens,’’ Fisher explained. “They do a lot of rotation to the weak side; it’s a staple in their defense. So, they force you to go other places with it. It wasn’t something that they game-planned to take him away.’’

Tight end Jared Cook paced the Rams with four catches for 74 yards as Davis completed passes to nine receivers.

• Two players with local ties were cut from practice squads Tuesday. Linebacker Jonathan Brown (Illinois) was released by Arizona. Wide receiver Marvin McNutt (Hazelwood Central) had his contract with Washington terminated.

jjab360

Legend
Mason might be the best runner on the team, but it's hard to get him in the game when he isn't even close to a functional pass protector. Tips the defense off immediately that the play is either a run or Mason going out into a pass route.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
So it hasnt been a RB by committee the past 4 weeks with Watts instead of Mason?

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can we trade one or two of em..we don't really need 4 good backs.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
I don't know that I'm too crazy with the idea. It seems like with a lot of backs they need to keep getting the carries to get into a rhythm. Constantly changing them out just seems like it interrupts that. Stacy's best games have been the ones where we kept feeding him the ball. I'm wondering if that might be a part of him not being as effective this year?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He failed to mention our pound it up the middle RB - T. Austin. I seem to recall him receiving back to back hand offs for up the gut runs on that first drive.