Rams notes: Gurley advances but still not ready to play/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Gurley advances but still not ready to play

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2bc72553-9baf-5f10-9091-3fe0c7844ef9.html

The yellow beanie is no more.

Worn on a player’s helmet to alert teammates that there is to be no contact during practice, the yellow beanie was worn early in Rams training camp by receiver Brian Quick, who was coming off a significant shoulder injury, and recently by running back Todd Gurley, a University of Georgia standout who suffered a season-ending knee injury that required ACL surgery on his left knee in November.

In spite of the injury, the Rams made Gurley the 10th overall pick in the draft and have brought him through the rehab process slowly.

But the full return to action for the 6-foot-1, 227-pound Gurley is getting closer. Early this week, he said. “I can do everything (on the practice field). The beanie is off, so I’m good.”

Tuesday at Rams Park, coach Jeff Fisher confirmed as much.

“Yeah, he’s doing everything right now, doing fine,” Fisher said. “I took it off. I personally took it off his helmet. Told him, “You’re done with that.’ He’s right on course.... He’s working hard and had some good runs here today. As a matter of fact, I asked around, ‘Where’d you guys find this guy?’ He looks pretty good out there.”

Over the weekend, Fisher said that Gurley, who did not play during the preseason, would not play on Sunday when the Rams open the season hosting the two-time defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks.

“I would definitely want to be playing but like I said I knew it was going to be a long journey,” Gurley, 21, said. “You’ve got to be patient, but when the time comes, it comes. I’ll be ready for it.”

HAGER EARNS A SPOT

A seventh-round draft pick from Baylor, linebacker Bryce Hager said his Saturday was pretty stressful. Then came THE call from the Rams. “It was a long day, definitely, but I really felt like I did all I could do,” Hager, 23, said. “From the start, my mindset was to just take it day by day and focus on doing whatever they asked me to do.”

A highly productive three-year starter in college, the 6-foot-1, 235-pound Hager had similar results in the preseason with the Rams. He tied with rookie defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat for the team lead in tackles with 24, including a team-leading 19 solos, and also recovered two fumbles.

“The speed of the game, obviously, was an adjustment, but it’s so much more than that,” he said. “It’s the playbook and all the mental aspects of the game you have to learn. It doesn’t matter if you’re a rookie; you have to know what to do and to be able to do it at full speed.”

A middle linebacker in college, Hager is working at all three spots here. “For me, special teams are going to be huge,” he added.

Hager is the son of Britt Hager, a former NFL player who finished his nine-year career with the Rams in 1997 and who also played in Philadelphia in 1989-90 for then-Eagles defensive coordinator Jeff Fisher.

“My parents were pretty fired up,’’ he said. “I’m excited, but now’s when the real work begins. I know I have to keep working and learning and improving.’’

RAM-BLINGS

After taking part in the sixth annual Kickoff for Charity Luncheon that benefited the United Way of Greater St. Louis, the Rams returned to Earth City for a short workout Tuesday.

“Took the whole team down there. It was a great event,” Fisher said. “Then we came back and had some meeting time and got some exercise.”

Running back Tre Mason (hamstring), linebacker Daren Bates (knee) and rookie Andrew Donnal (finger) did not participate. Defensive tackle Nick Fairley, who has been slowed with collarbone soreness, took part in individual drills.

Donnal, a fourth-round draft choice from Iowa, had minor surgery to clean out an infected finger joint and is expected to practice on Wednesday.

• Jimmie Hunt, a wide receiver from Cahokia High and Mizzou, was released with an injury settlement from the Green Bay Packers. The same happened with safety Matt Daniels and the Jacksonville Jaguars. Daniels was with the Rams in 2012 and 2013 and saw action in six games.

In other moves, former Illinois linebacker Justin Staples was signed to the practice squad in Tennessee while guard David Arkin (Missouri State) was released from Indianapolis’ practice squad.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fisher is trying to get this team totally healthy....He must think his 11 guys on the field, will beat the other teams 11, no matter how many reps they've missed...How much practice time they've missed...This is interesting....

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cleared for contact, Rams focused on building Todd Gurley's reps
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ct-rams-focused-on-building-todd-gurleys-reps

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- At some point late last week, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher went over to running back Todd Gurley and personally removed the yellow no contact beanie Gurley had been wearing on his helmet.

The move was more symbolic than anything considering that the Rams don't ever go full contact in practice and Gurley won't actually be tackled until he first plays in an NFL game. But all signs point to Gurley's recovery from a torn left ACL suffered last November as right on schedule.

Fisher has already ruled Gurley out for Sunday's season opener against Seattle and there's a good chance that Gurley won't make his debut for another week or two after that.

For his part, Gurley said Sunday that it could be another couple of weeks. In the meantime, Fisher says the important thing for Gurley is building his repetitions in practice, particularly with the pads on as they will be in Wednesday's practice.

“We’re just going to build his reps on the practice field and we’ll just see," Fisher said. "We’re going to probably pad up [today], so he’ll get a lot of reps and then we’ll back down Thursday and then go out there and have a fast Friday and he’ll get a lot of reps. That’s what we’re looking for for him and we’ll see how he is at the end of the week.”

From there, the Rams figure to give Gurley more work in practice next week and then keep slowly working him back into the mix. When he does make his game debut, it's unlikely it will be an expansive role right away as the team will build his in-game reps as they did in practice.

That's a process that is now made easier by the fact that Gurley has indeed been cleared to do everything in practice. Gurley said as much earlier this week but Fisher confirmed it on Tuesday.

“Yeah, he’s doing everything right now," Fisher said. "He’s doing fine. He’s right on course right now. He’s working hard and had some good runs here today. As a matter of fact, I asked around, ‘Where’d you guys find this guy? He looks pretty good out there.’”

Apparently not good enough to play just yet but barring a setback, that time will come soon enough.