Rams notes: Davis, Jones hook on with new teams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Davis, Jones hook on with new teams/PD

By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_3864dc89-6398-5df0-92c1-07c7a0df7b13.html

Two players cut by the Rams on Saturday have signed elsewhere.

Quarterback Austin Davis was signed to Cleveland’s roster Monday. Meanwhile, center Barrett Jones was signed to Pittsburgh’s practice squad.

Davis could get more of a chance to start for the Browns than he got to make the Rams’ roster. Cleveland’s quarterbacks are 13-year veteran Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel. McCown, 36, started 11 games a year ago with Tampa Bay, completing 56.3 percent of his passes for 2,206 yards with 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. A third-round pick of Arizona in 2002, he has also played for Detroit, Oakland, Carolina and Chicago.

A month or so after being released by the Buccaneers, he signed a three-year deal with Cleveland in March.

Manziel, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner, was selected by the Browns with the 22nd pick in the 2014 draft and has been more of a story off the field than on it. In his rookie season, he played five games and made two starts, completing 51.4 percent of his passes for 175 yards with two interceptions and no touchdowns. Manziel has been slowed in the preseason because of tendinitis in his throwing elbow.

Davis, 26, undoubtedly made an impression on the Browns during the 2014 preseason, when he completed 14 of 22 passes for 198 and two touchdowns against them. His passer rating was 104.0 in what was the third game of the 2014 exhibition season, and the game in which Sam Bradford suffered a season-ending knee injury for the Rams.

Davis started eight games for the Rams last season, winning three, and throwing for 300-plus yards in back-to-back games against Dallas and Philadelphia. But he lost out to Case Keenum and rookie Sean Mannion for a backup job with the Rams.

Speaking with reporters in Cleveland on Monday, Davis referred to his time here as “a good learning experience.’’

“I think the biggest thing is I proved to myself I could do it,’’ he added. “Until you get out there and play and put the ball in the end zone and lead the team, win games, you don’t know. ... To be able to get out there and play and win, now I’m looking to build on that.’’

Davis threw only five passes in exhibition play, and played only four series during the preseason — one in each game. In the finale against Kansas City, he was in for eight plays — all handoffs to Rams running backs.

“I think I could see the writing on the wall and I’m excited about what’s next,’’ said Davis, who joined the Rams as an undrafted free agent in May 2012. “I was really looking forward to going back in and competing and trying to build on what I did last year but really didn’t get that opportunity. Where one door closes, another one opens. That brings me here and I’ll be ready to go.’’

About being cut, Davis said: “It’s part of the process. You just gotta trust that coaches make decisions, the best decisions they can for their football team. You can’t take things personal. ... You just take advantage of the opportunities you get and keep rolling.’’

Browns coach Mike Pettine sounds eager to see what Davis can do.

“Austin’s been a guy that there’s been some intrigue with ... his name has come up before,’’ the coach said.

Meanwhile, Jones not only lost out on a three-way battle for the starting center position in St. Louis with Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney, he lost out on a job. In Pittsburgh, center Reese Dismukes originally was signed to the Steelers’ practice squad.

But Dismukes, an All-American at Auburn, was released from the practice squad when Jones — an All-American at rival Alabama — became available.

Following a stellar career at Alabama, Jones was selected by the Rams in the fourth round of the 2013 draft. Slowed by injury early in his pro career, he never quite found his niche here. In two seasons, he played in 10 games, including seven last season.

Among those “big three” of Rams cuts, linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar still is looking for a job. Teams might be waiting until after Week 1 to take a look at Dunbar. As a vested veteran, any contract he signs now is guaranteed. But after the opening week of games, it’s not guaranteed.

In fact, it’s possible the Rams could consider re-signing him then.

CHARITY LUNCHEON

In partnership with team sponsor Edward Jones, the Rams are hosting the team’s sixth annual Kickoff for Charity Luncheon on Tuesday. It will be downtown, at Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark, 1 South Broadway. Registration begins at 11:15 a.m., with the luncheon to begin at noon. Proceeds will benefit United Way of Greater St. Louis.

In addition to getting a preview of the upcoming season from coach Jeff Fisher, fans will be seated at tables with their favorite players and will have a chance to bid on unique auction items. Joining Fisher and the players at the event will be general manager Les Snead, chief operating office Kevin Demoff, Pro Football Hall of Famer Aeneas Williams and Rams broadcaster Steve Savard.

RAM-BLINGS

After an off day Monday, the Rams practice Tuesday afternoon. In preparation for Sunday’s noon kickoff against Seattle, they also will practice Wednesday and Friday.

• The Rams reached injury settlements and waived linebacker Korey Toomer and tight end Brad Smelley.

• Former Rams safety Craig Dahl — who started 40 games in St. Louis from 2009-2012— has been reunited with former Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo. Dahl, most recently with San Francisco, has signed with the New York Giants, where “Spags” is defensive coordinator. Besides the stint with Spagnuolo in St. Louis, this marks the second time Dahl has played for Spagnuolo with the Giants.

• Tight end Chase Coffman, who starred at the University of Missouri and who had caught two touchdown passes in a win over the Rams in the preseason, has been re-signed by Tennessee after being released Sunday. The spot became available after running back David Cobb was placed on the injured reserve/designated for return list.

• Montee Ball, who starred at Timberland High in Wentzville and at the University of Wisconsin, cleared waivers after being released by Denver. A second-round draft pick in 2013, he ran for 559 yards and three scores for the AFC champion Broncos as a rookie. Last season, injuries limited him to five games as he ran for 172 yards and a touchdown.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good for Davis.
He can be active on Sundays and be on a roster. He has a chance to stick longer term there than with the Rams (obviously). He really didn't have a shot this preseason. Behind a 36 year old who has always been average and a small head case he could find himself playing there sooner than later. Davis may not be a great NFL QB but he certainly is the kind of gritty hard worker who should be able to stick around and have a nice 10-12 year career.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Who would have thought that Jones & Davis would be the first (only?) Rams cuts claimed? Who? Not real surprised by Davis...But Jones? Get outta here I woulda said...Still say....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Who would have thought that Jones & Davis would be the first (only?) Rams cuts claimed? Who? Not real surprised by Davis...But Jones? Get outta here I woulda said...Still say....
Claiborne, Garner and Bayer were all signed before them, at least according the the practice squad thread.